• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better? SS exclusive opps or book limits?

188 posts in this topic

There is no grey area. When you have anything authenticated, at some point you are putting a value on it. If it wasn't about value, the book would be kept raw. Also there's nothing wrong with making a profit if thats what you want to do but don't mask your intentions. There's a reason you have the book in a bag and board with a cut out window.

Wow. Just...wow.

I'm shocked at the distance of the divide between what you think you know and what you actually know.

so why would someone pay more money for a yellow label than pay less and just get a green label. Why must the yellow label be had. Why even use CGC why not PGX?

Cause it matches my red wall. By the way answering a question with a questions just shows you don't have an answer. Also I didn't troll anyone. I made a statement and got feedback which then turns to a discussion. That's how conversations starts for those who lack in person social skills.

:facepalm:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

The answer to your question is because I prefer to have Signature Series comics as my collection much the same as you prefer to display sketch covers like photos. (thumbs u

There is no grey area. When you have anything authenticated, at some point you are putting a value on it. If it wasn't about value, the book would be kept raw. Also there's nothing wrong with making a profit if thats what you want to do but don't mask your intentions. There's a reason you have the book in a bag and board with a cut out window.

Wow. Just...wow.

I'm shocked at the distance of the divide between what you think you know and what you actually know.

so why would someone pay more money for a yellow label than pay less and just get a green label. Why must the yellow label be had. Why even use CGC why not PGX?

Why would someone collect comic books in general?

What you seem utterly unable to grasp is that people have varying collecting habits - which, you know, is self-evident to anyone who doesn't have their head up their *spoon*.

Again, no. None of your conclusions are fact. It is this type of narrow thinking that has, in part, led to our current situation. Unfortunately it seems CGC is fine with separating themselves as a service for sellers and not for fans. It is starting to look like a "fan" would not use CGC. I think this is a shame.

That's just not true.

CGC is doing everything they can behind the scenes to ensure that both the fans & the creators are happy, but, ultimately, if a creator tells CGC that their signings have to be handled a certain way, what's CGC supposed to do?

Much like the turn around times I have seen nothing in the results to draw any other conclusion. There is plenty that could be done that does not appear to be a priority.

This time last year TATs were hitting almost 100 business days for regular modern subs - now they're down to less than 60. It's a bit of a strange example to use because with your submission volume it's not really something you could have missed ...

As for CGC and creator restrictions, my question remains the same - if a creator tells CGC they want their signing done a specific way, is CGC supposed to tell them to suck it?

Again, no. None of your conclusions are fact. It is this type of narrow thinking that has, in part, led to our current situation. Unfortunately it seems CGC is fine with separating themselves as a service for sellers and not for fans. It is starting to look like a "fan" would not use CGC. I think this is a shame.

That's just not true.

CGC is doing everything they can behind the scenes to ensure that both the fans & the creators are happy, but, ultimately, if a creator tells CGC that their signings have to be handled a certain way, what's CGC supposed to do?

Much like the turn around times I have seen nothing in the results to draw any other conclusion. There is plenty that could be done that does not appear to be a priority.

This time last year TATs were hitting almost 100 business days for regular modern subs - now they're down to less than 60. It's a bit of a strange example to use because with your submission volume it's not really something you could have missed ...

As for CGC and creator restrictions, my question remains the same - if a creator tells CGC they want their signing done a specific way, is CGC supposed to tell them to suck it?

I used that example because as you stated it's been over a year and the TAT's are still not as advertised.

When a creator asks that their signing be done a certain way.......CGC is supposed to be an authentication service. In your example it is just as CGC has always done. They are reactionary. Does CGC discipline any facilitators or CAW's that cause tension with creators? Are there any proactive initiatives to educate creators?

That's just not true.

I used that example because as you stated it's been over a year and the TAT's are still not as advertised.

When a creator asks that their signing be done a certain way.......CGC is supposed to be an authentication service. In your example it is just as CGC has always done. They are reactionary. Does CGC discipline any facilitators or CAW's that cause tension with creators? Are there any proactive initiatives to educate creators?

Yes, most definitely. Balent is a great SS ambassador for CGC and goes out of his way to inform/educate creators as to the benefits of CGC and the Signature Series program in general - which includes proactive outreach, free creator comps, collaborating with the CBLDF and the Hero Initiative, etc.

What I was complaining about earlier has nothing to do with CGC and all to do with the artist reps & facilitators who lock down creators with exclusivity agreements which benefit neither the creator nor the fan.

In your example it is just as CGC has always done. They are reactionary. Does CGC discipline any facilitators or CAW's that cause tension with creators? Are there any proactive initiatives to educate creators?

+++++++

+++++++

How many times does it have to be said before something happens? My understanding of why these private "only way to get SS book" signings have started being required is the abuse of the system by some facilitators.

Believe it or not, there's still a market out there for non-SS books. When creators allow 100 copies of something to be signed, they're still allowing dealers to get stuff signed, whether they understand that or not. That is, people who look like collectors will get a stack signed and try to sell them in their shops for a $5-10 premium raw.

My point is, isn't all about time? If the goal is to allow the creator to spend time with his fans (due to not signing a stack of books to be SS'd) shouldn't they simply impose a book limit, SS or not? Anything above that can be handled in a special setting.

This is what good facilitators do. If the have volume, they work with the creator to find some down time, or have x books signed right now and get back in line, or set up a time outside the normal hours to get stuff signed. But we all know there are people on these boards who, even when a creator asks for a limit, are seeding the line with their books. That requires the implicit cooperation of the CAW who has to see it happening. That kind of thing shouldn't be tolerated and the CAW, acting in CGC's place, should either refuse to witness those books or at the least inform CGC that it's happening. Because, IMHO, that's the kind of thing driving some of the backlash.

I have a slightly different perspective to offer on this topic if anyone cares.

Not all signings for CGC books are because of abuse entirely. Sure, that might be part of the equation but it's not the only, or even the primary, reason.

For the artists I represent and manage at conventions, especially the big time ones, it makes good sense to have some rules and organization to how things are signed and when. The demands on an A-list talent are gigantic at conventions and the time window is small. Years ago, I figured out that the time spent signing at the table should be for fans who have a couple of items to get signed. The vast majority of people seeking signatures aren't looking to CGC them so I try to get all of them something. I try to give every person something. So I limit the number of sigs during the posted signing times to 2-3 per person depending on demand and time constraints of the show.

For CGC books and anyone who has a large amount of items to be signed (larger than the stated limits for signing times) I try to set aside time outside of the show hours to get all those items signed. Those people don't have to wait in line, don't have to seed the line with proxies, don't have to take slots away from people with just a poster or other item. They can get their items signed more conveniently and without waiting in line and potentially missing other signings with other creators. For this convenience they pay a fee, per item, to the creator.

Sure there are facilitators who try to get their CGC books done for free by standing in the free signature line, but it's not everyone. It's not even most of them...it's a select few. So I try to coordinate with the CGC booth to spread the word about how I run my signings.

It works out great for everyone. Non-CGC'ers get their stuff signed, CGC gets their stuff signed. Creators get compensated for setting special time aside to accommodate the extra signatures. Everyone gets something. No one is shut out. Everyone shares.

At Baltimore, the numbers bear that out. 750 items were signed free for fans. 200+ items were signed for CGC. Another 100 items were signed for various charitable organizations. Finally, another 75+ items were signed for people with multiples that took advantage of the opportunity to drop their items and come back later to pick them up.

So, while there may be some facilitators that seek to skirt around compensating creators, they are few and far between (at least under my system) and the creators I work with have a VERY positive opinion of CGC and the potential benefits derived and the respect given to them.

For CGC books and anyone who has a large amount of items to be signed (larger than the stated limits for signing times) I try to set aside time outside of the show hours to get all those items signed.

Sounds like a good plan overall. But, I have a question. Why does the CGC status impact the time involved or the interference with raw item signatures? That is, I can understand setting aside time for any sig request above the stated amounts. But why would there be an additional distinction for SS books? Doesn't it take the same amount of time for a creator to sign 3 window bagged books as it does for 2 trades and a poster?