• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Previously Signed Book Grading Procress

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have several books that have already been signed in the past. If I submit these for grading, will the signatures affect the grading in any way?

Also, if I want to get a book CGC SS'd at a con but it is already signed by another creator, will this be possible (i.e. book is signed by Jonathan Glapion and I want it CGC SS'd for Greg Capullo, can I do this?).

Hello,

I have several books that have already been signed in the past. If I submit these for grading, will the signatures affect the grading in any way?

Also, if I want to get a book CGC SS'd at a con but it is already signed by another creator, will this be possible (i.e. book is signed by Jonathan Glapion and I want it CGC SS'd for Greg Capullo, can I do this?).

1. the books that have signatures (Im gonna work from the assumption that the sigs are on the cover) would be graded and the signatures would downgrade the condition of the book. I think you could also have them graded as qualified (green label) and have the signatures not "count" against the qualified grade. [this part Im not 100% sure on the current policy]

2. If you get a book signed via the SS process and it already has unverified signatures on it, the unverified signatures would count against the books condition (think 7.5 or so) and probably get a note like "name written on cover in marker" it would get a SS label for the Capullo signature.

Can someone second that this is correct?

1) Books with unverified sigs on the cover get a green (Qualified) label by default - the book is graded as if the signature doesn't exist. You can request a blue (Universal) label but then the signature will be treated as a defect and the grade will drop accordingly.

2) Correct - the unverified signature will be treated as grade-dropping defect. There's no set rule for much of a grade drop you're going to see - it depends on the size & type of signature - but I've seen 9.8 books drop to 8.0s because of this.

Thanks so much for your responses. That is very helpful info! I have several follow up questions.

1) What if I want to get multiple signatures on the same book. What is the CGC SS process and fee for this?

2) What if I want to get multiple signatures on the same book, but I can't get them all at a single convention? Is there a CGC SS process for this? What are the fees?

Thanks again!