• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 the Modern 'Hulk 181'??

68 posts in this topic

The problem I have with ever believing NM 98 could be the next Hulk 181 is that Deadpool doesn't really have a significant canon.

Wolverine has 40 years of interesting backstory. His adventures with the X-Men, his quest to find out what happened to him, his solo adventures, all the classic storylines... there's a lot there.

I can't think of even one classic Deadpool story. Maybe the first time he squared off against the Punisher? That was a good read. (shrug)

I really hope we never get to a stage where we are seriously comparing NM 98 to either Hulk 181 or Giant-Size X-Men #1. The latter being arguably the most significant comic book of the last 40 years.

2c

I can't think of even one classic Deadpool story. Maybe the first time he squared off against the Punisher? That was a good read. (shrug)

I really hope we never get to a stage where we are seriously comparing NM 98 to either Hulk 181 or Giant-Size X-Men #1. The latter being arguably the most significant comic book of the last 40 years.

2c

I agree and I'm a Deadpool fan. Its crazy to compare him to ASM 300, ASM 129, Giant Size X-Men #1 and or Hulk 181.

2c

I agree and I'm a Deadpool fan. Its crazy to compare him to ASM 300, ASM 129, Giant Size X-Men #1 and or Hulk 181.

+1 I agree with everything said here and I am a big Deadpool fan. Most significant characters have a deep rogues gallery, think Batman or Spider-man. Who is Deadpool's main foil or top 5 rogues? I've only read the current series, recent minis and about 20 issues of the first series but no one comes to mind.

With all the movie hype you typically see people speculate on who the villian will be but I haven't seen a single post concerning this.

2c

+1 I agree with everything said here and I am a big Deadpool fan. Most significant characters have a deep rogues gallery, think Batman or Spider-man. Who is Deadpool's main foil or top 5 rogues? I've only read the current series, recent minis and about 20 issues of the first series but no one comes to mind.

With all the movie hype you typically see people speculate on who the villian will be but I haven't seen a single post concerning this.

Taskmaster? Has he been in any books against the Taskmaster? My boys were watching Ultimate Spiderman and they were going at it pretty good. Is this rivalry reflected in the funny books?

Is Deadpool the reason the Taskmaster books have been going up (Avengers 196)?

hm I thought it was because the Taskmaster was cool. Am I'm missing some movie tie in or something? :P

Clearly, you weren't collecting in the late 70s. :baiting::eyeroll::whee:

Is Deadpool the reason the Taskmaster books have been going up (Avengers 196)?

hm I thought it was because the Taskmaster was cool. Am I'm missing some movie tie in or something? :P

Clearly, you weren't collecting in the late 70s. :baiting::eyeroll::whee:

:whistle: Nope. I was born in that decade, So you win old man. ;)

2c

Yes, TaskMaster(Tony Masters), and Wade have had a history as on, and off again allies/enemies, but for the most part remain friends as only those two could. You can see it in a few issues like in all the different volumes of the deadpool series, prominently featured in "Agent X", again in "Wolverine & Deadpool", and a lot of familiarity in the dialog they spoke to each other in "Deadpool Kills the marvel universe".

Taskmaster? Has he been in any books against the Taskmaster? My boys were watching Ultimate Spiderman and they were going at it pretty good. Is this rivalry reflected in the funny books?

New Mutants 98 the Modern 'Hulk 181'??

Yes

Whether or not you or I or anyone understands it...that's another question.

Whether its justified by the character's back story, canon, rouges gallary, love interests, costume choices, weapons gallery, special powers...there are many, many more questions to ask.

But at the end of the day, is NM98 the modern Hulk 181?, I think 20 years from now we'll be saying yes.