• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants 98 the Modern 'Hulk 181'??

68 posts in this topic

I could tell it was said tongue in cheek. Still, Male readers have hundreds to thousands of male superheros to idolize and purchase their stories....to mentally place themselves in the position of their favorite character. But women do not. You should evaluate it in terms of female dollars chasing the universe of female characters vs. male dollars chasing the universe of male characters and you may understand why I'm seriously accumulating female character first appearances. It's a dollar per character thing...like density.

Besides, I've recently heard the following in another thread: "HQ is the female equivalent of Deadpool because they are both irreverent and funny".

Lots of ladies women buying HQ's early appearances. Whereas Deadpool's first appearances have been largely ignored until recently with this movie buzz. And that reminds me of Wolverine in the old days....all his early appearances got hot and were easily flipped months later.

So much so, I've changed the name and the focus of one of my sites: femgrime

More info

NO. Batman Adventures #12 is. Here's why. Back in the day, when Wolverine got "hot", anything that had Wolverine on the cover sold for a premium a few months later. That's happening with HQ. A subtle difference is that HQ is numero uno for the female readers, and the female readers are growing...so it has good demographics behind it also. If I could choose one book to hold 15 years, it would be BA12, not NM98.

Edited to say this: Both books are good...don't get me wrong...but I think BA12 is a better fit for the question asked.

Content wise BA 12 is not even close to NM 98, as it does not represent the "first appearance" of Harley Quinn. It is merely the "first appearance" of a cartoon character in a comic book. As such it does not qualify to be a part of the conversation.

-J.

Right now, on Ebay, I can buy a CGC 9.8 version of NM98 using buy it now for $100 cheaper than I can get a BA12 in CGC 9.8 using buy it now. And that is without movie hype. Which book is closer to the value of a high grade IH181? What will movie hype do to BA12? It's your opinion that it isn't part of the conversation, but I think we're all talking about future monetary value, not validity of appearance. Heck, IH181 isn't even a first appearance, so in that regard, IH181 is more like BA12...neither are first appearances in all formats.

NM98 is easier to find in high grade in comparison to BA12. And I agree, if a movie with HQ is ever announce, this comic will go up. I do think NM98 has found a ceiling for the time being.

I wonder if any future Deadpool movie will attempt to reconcile with the previous movie appearance? I don't think the character can afford another bad movie.

NO. Batman Adventures #12 is. Here's why. Back in the day, when Wolverine got "hot", anything that had Wolverine on the cover sold for a premium a few months later. That's happening with HQ. A subtle difference is that HQ is numero uno for the female readers, and the female readers are growing...so it has good demographics behind it also. If I could choose one book to hold 15 years, it would be BA12, not NM98.

Edited to say this: Both books are good...don't get me wrong...but I think BA12 is a better fit for the question asked.

Content wise BA 12 is not even close to NM 98, as it does not represent the "first appearance" of Harley Quinn. It is merely the "first appearance" of a cartoon character in a comic book. As such it does not qualify to be a part of the conversation.

-J.

Right now, on Ebay, I can buy a CGC 9.8 version of NM98 using buy it now for $100 cheaper than I can get a BA12 in CGC 9.8 using buy it now. And that is without movie hype. Which book is closer to the value of a high grade IH181? What will movie hype do to BA12? It's your opinion that it isn't part of the conversation, but I think we're all talking about future monetary value, not validity of appearance. Heck, IH181 isn't even a first appearance, so in that regard, IH181 is more like BA12...neither are first appearances in all formats.

IH 181 is indeed the first "full appearance" of wolverine ( a comic book character). BA 12 is the "first appearance" of a cartoon character in a comic book. The books are not remotely comparable. BA 12 is a "made for dealers" book in search of actual significance. It is more akin to Transformers 1 than anything else. Content and significance-wise it is not in the same ballpark of NM 98 and not in the same galaxy as hulk 181.

-J.

-J.

IH 181 is indeed the first "full appearance" of wolverine ( a comic book character). BA 12 is the "first appearance" of a cartoon character in a comic book. The books are not remotely comparable. BA 12 is a "made for dealers" book in search of actual significance. It is more akin to Transformers 1 than anything else. Content and significance-wise it is not in the same ballpark of NM 98 and not in the same galaxy as hulk 181.

-J.

A "choir of one". lol

-J.

-J.

A "choir of one". lol

It only takes one to express the view of many. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

A "choir of one". lol

-J.

I'm going to write that one down.

-J.

-J.

A "choir of one". lol

-J.

Perhaps, but in this case, it's the view of one. :grin:

-J.

-J.

A "choir of one". lol

-J.

Perhaps, but in this case, it's the view of one. :grin:

lol Hardly.

-J.

J,

IH181 was not the first appearance...180 was in cameo. BA12 was not the first appearance of Harley either...she appeared in a cartoon. IH181 featured a 3-waybattle with wolverine, and a popular character just as BA12 featured a 3-way battle between HQ, Ivy, and Batgirl. HQs origin was explained in a later book just as Wolverine's origin was explained later. In high grade, BA12 is increasing in value quicker than Nm98, which was not a cameo and not a three way battle. The second full appearance of HQ is worth $100+ in Nm, whereas Deadpool's second appearane is woth a fractiin of that. HQ and Wilverine don't break the 4th wall, whereas Deadpool does...by your logic, that makes him more like Howard the duck..

You can continue to repeat yourself, but that doesn't make you right.

J,

IH181 was not the first appearance...180 was in cameo. BA12 was not the first appearance of Harley either...she appeared in a cartoon. IH181 featured a 3-waybattle with wolverine, and a popular character just as BA12 featured a 3-way battle between HQ, Ivy, and Batgirl. HQs origin was explained in a later book just as Wolverine's origin was explained later. In high grade, BA12 is increasing in value quicker than Nm98, which was not a cameo and not a three way battle. The second full appearance of HQ is worth $100+ in Nm, whereas Deadpool's second appearane is woth a fractiin of that. HQ and Wilverine don't break the 4th wall, whereas Deadpool does...by your logic, that makes him more like Howard the duck..

What exactly am I wrong about ? You seem to be disagreeing with my opinion of the "significance" of BA 12, rather than the substance of anything I have said.

And there are myriad "first appearances" of cartoon characters in comic books, and the vast majority of those aren't worth much. Why does BA 12 get a pass? Because HQ is popular? Transformers are popular too. So was GI Joe. So was Batman Beyond. I don't own any of those either. Substantively speaking BA 12 is a meaningless book. I didn't say it is a worthless book. There are plenty of meaningless books that still sell, for whatever reason, an inordinate and out sized amount of money. Content wise, BA 12 is lacking. It's a stretch to compare its significance to NM 98....a true first appearance book. Hulk 181 is wolvie's first full appearance. If you just want a one panel cameo on the last page you get the 180. BA 12 doesn't compare to that either. BA 12 compares to transformers 1. That's a $200 book. That's about what a BA 12 should be worth in my opinion. Though I still wouldn't pay that, because I am a first appearance and/or origin collector, and BA 12 is neither one of those. As much as I would "like" to be able to own the first appearance of HQ, I cannot, because no such comic book exists. This has nothing to do with the originality of any of the aforementioned characters and/or concepts. This is about someone saying BA 12 is "like" hulk 181, which is absurd. BA 12 isn't even "like" NM 98. BA 12 is like transformers 1- the first appearance of cartoon characters in a comic book. NM 98 is "like" hulk 181 in that it is a common book whose price defies gravity, regardless. (thumbs u

-J.

J,

What exactly am I wrong about ? You seem to be disagreeing with my opinion of the "significance" of BA 12, rather than the substance of anything I have said.

And there are myriad "first appearances" of cartoon characters in comic books, and the vast majority of those aren't worth much. Why does BA 12 get a pass? Because HQ is popular? Transformers are popular too. So was GI Joe. So was Batman Beyond. I don't own any of those either. Substantively speaking BA 12 is a meaningless book. I didn't say it is a worthless book. There are plenty of meaningless books that still sell, for whatever reason, an inordinate and out sized amount of money. Content wise, BA 12 is lacking. It's a stretch to compare its significance to NM 98....a true first appearance book. Hulk 181 is wolvie's first full appearance. If you just want a one panel cameo on the last page you get the 180. BA 12 doesn't compare to that either. BA 12 compares to transformers 1. That's a $200 book. That's about what a BA 12 should be worth in my opinion. Though I still wouldn't pay that, because I am a first appearance and/or origin collector, and BA 12 is neither one of those. As much as I would "like" to be able to own the first appearance of HQ, I cannot, because no such comic book exists. This has nothing to do with the originality of any of the aforementioned characters and/or concepts. This is about someone saying BA 12 is "like" hulk 181, which is absurd. BA 12 isn't even "like" NM 98. BA 12 is like transformers 1- the first appearance of cartoon characters in a comic book. NM 98 is "like" hulk 181 in that it is a common book whose price defies gravity, regardless. (thumbs u

-J.

So the first appearance of Harley Quinn would be the animated cel of the cartoon episode she was in? Ok.

By the way Transformers #1 came out months before the cartoon debuted.

So the first appearance of Harley Quinn would be the animated cel of the cartoon episode she was in? Ok.

ah, but the TF toys predated the comic by quite awhile. ;)

ah, but the TF toys predated the comic by quite awhile. ;)

Actually no they didn't. The toys made their debut at toy fair in February 1984. The mass public first got a glimpse of the brand Transformers in Marvel Age 17 which came out in March 1984. Transformers 1 came out on May 8th 1984. The toys started showing up on toy store shelves in spring of 1984. (Late April/early May)

J,

-J.

Literally, yep. Furthermore, I would call the Alex Ross cover one shot a far more significant book than BA 12. Though as a first appearance/origin collector I still strain to see a reason to own even that.

Oh and here's a link to a transformers 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131317534348?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That label sure does remind me a lot of the BA 12 label. Regardless of the literal dates when the toy/cartoon/comic came out, it is common knowledge the comic is based on the cartoon and toys. The transformers are not viewed as a "comic book creation". And again there are plenty of books and characters based on cartoons that don't sell for much of anything. Transformers 1 is actually one of the more valuable examples. But as someone who wants to own a certain kind of comic book, it's not on my radar at all. And I LOVE the transformers. Just not the comic. NM 98 on the other hand is a must have. BA 12? Eh....not so much. (thumbs u

-J.

Actually the transformers are a comic book creation. Jim Shooter and Denny O'Neil were hired by Hasbro to create the characters and backstory for the toyline. O'Neil bowed out but he did come up with the name Optimus Prime. Bob Budiansky then took over, another Marvel guy, and created almost everything that you know about the original Transformers. Names, powers, even the bio readouts on the toy boxes.

Regardless of what you may familiarize Transformers as, make no mistake, this was a comic creation by comic book people. Hasbro didn't come to Marvel with a finished product. It was Marvel that molded the franchise that everyone knows today. The only thing Hasbro had were the terms Transformers, Autobots, and Decepticons.