• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Files - Do you buy CGC Graded Comics for their Registry Points? posted by 109

5 posts in this topic

DO YOU BUY CGC GRADED COMICS FOR THEIR REGISTRY POINTS?

I recently purchased a Wizard X-Files ½ CGC 9.8 graded comic via eBay. I was very happy to be the winning bidder and I purchased it at a very reasonable price. When I entered it into its designated CGC slot under the Wizard ½ category, I saw that it received 200 registry points, which is a lot for a modern age comic. Most of my modern age comics receive 35 registry points on the average, so it was a surprise to me to receive 200 registry points. It made me wonder if there are collectors out there that actually look at what their comic registry point value, when making a decision on what comic to bid on or to buy next. If your someone that buys comics for the registry point value first, please tells us about it and why.

14391.jpg

See more journals by 109

Dear 109,

My response to your journal is not going to initally answer your question about Registry Points. No... first I must discuss that wonderful comic you have in your possession as it represents one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

In the early 90's, when comic books were boring the heck out of me, I was looking for the next big fix.

When the X-Files debuted, I didn't tune-in initially, until all the hoopla by the Sci-Fi geeks and TV audiences alike said it was "Must-See". I believe the first episode I ever watched was the ninth episode called "Space". And I was not immediately hooked. It wasn't until I caught a re-run of "Squeeze" that I saw the light. And from there I became an X-filer, from '93 to '98, loving every aspect of the show until at some point, the Search for the Truth, just got a little boring, stale, and quite frankly, tiring. And then David Duchovny left the show... and that was it for me. What's the X-Files without Mulder?

My favorite single episodes are not the one's featuring aliens or concerning the shadow government pulling the strings. My favorites happen to be the episodes that some derisively refer to as "Monster-of-the-Week: "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", "The Host" which debuted the original and gross "Flukeman", the classic episodes "Squeeze" and "Tooms", and the very scary and disturbing "Home".

In fact, if anyone is reading this and has never seen the above mentioned episodes, I guarantee you will be entertained and maybe more.

And I point out those episodes in particular, and this TV show as a whole, not only because of your comic, but first and foremost... because this wonderful show by Chris Carter was the impetus... it's the TV Show which inspired me to become a writer. It wasn't comics, books, movies or anything else... it was the X-files. I wanted to write for that show so desperately! And I wrote four teleplays specifically for the show. That's how much I loved the show! But alas, they just didn't make the cut. And rightfully so. But nonetheless, I keep writing, and have written a couple of full-lenght screenplays and several short stories... and I am currently working on expanding a short story into an actual novel with other concepts in the works.

And at one time, I also collected the Topps Comics. And I bought them initally as a research aid to help me with my writing. But for some stupid reason, I got rid of them, and now I regret that since both Duchovny and Anderson are going to be at NY Comic Con. Bummer!

Okay time for Truth: I threw those comics out after numerous rejections from Literary Agents regading my scripts. My ego got very deflated after about the 100th rejection. I think I went nuts and said... "forget this pipe dream!" and ripped everything up in a fit of rage. Thankfully I kept those four teleplays... they are pleasant reminders of some big dreams.

Oh, well. I may just stand in the very long lines anyway, just to meet them both... Mulder and Scully, and let them know that they played a big role in my life. And maybe someday, if I get published, I'll do a dedication to Duchovny and Anderson, Chris Carter, and all the brilliant people who made it all happen.

And finally... to your question: "Do You Buy Graded Comics for Their Registry Points?"

My answer: "Not Any Longer."

When I first started on the journals, I wanted to rise in the ranks with registry points, and I would consult the CGC Registry before I made a decision on buying graded comics, looking at the point value assigned to that comic. But that all changed when I came to the realization that collecting is a hobby, and hobbies are meant to be done for enjoyment and pleasure. And that's what one must do... enjoy. So I collect things that I enjoy collecting and no longer care about their registry points so much.

And after about 7 years of collecting graded comics, I can say, presently, that I buy graded comics I am whole-heartedly interested in... first and foremost. I buy all comics that fascinate and intrigue me by way of their storytelling or their art or their creators. I mainly collect graded Keys, Oaks, Rare and Scare comics, and those that may have some kind of controversy to them. I also buy graded comics for their nostalgia that links them to great memories from my childhood. I also buy graded comics based on their investment potential, so in the future, I may part with them for financial gain. And whatever registry points any of my graded comics should garner, it is irrespective and independent of my decisions and choices.

However, I will admit, I am still pleasantly surprised when I buy a graded comic that turns out to have a high registry value, but lamentably, the majority of my collection doesn't reflect this. In fact, I believe I have some great graded comics with very low registry point values. But I don't care, because in my heart and soul these comics are worth their weight in gold.

My advice... buy what you love... you'll have more fun in the long run.

BTW: Congrats on having the best Witchblade Collection! It Rocks!

And thanks for bringing back some great memories!

SW3D

I have bought CGC graded comics for their registry points before, including the very one you speak of in this journal.

In fact, that was what started me off on Harvey Comics. For one, I always liked Casper, Richie Rich, Spooky, Wendy and the whole Harvey gang as a kid. For another, I noticed that top copies of the Silver Age issues from these various series had very nice Registry Point Values for the prices you could get them for.

I usually collect for certain series that I want to complete, but now that most of those are dwindling down to just a few left to find, I have wandered off into either upgrading comics I have to Sig Series copies or just browsing the web for good RP/AP ratios to get my overallranking in the registry to keep going upward.

RP/AP means Registry Points to Amount Paid Ratio.

For example, I purchased a 9.6 copy of Spooky Spooktown #2 for a total of $76 and it is worth 750 registry points. That's almost a X10 RP/AP ratio!!

Sometimes getting something strictly for the registry point benefit can get you started off on a whole new thing to collect.

Of course, with the addictive nature of this hobby, we probably don't need any more series to start collecting. So this concept can be just as damaging to your wallet as it can be rewarding to this hobby.

lol

Registry points are a definite consideration when it comes to my purchases as of late. I find myself searching for high grade bronze and or silver age comics that are in high grade but also can generate a lot of points for my registry.

I just started this year with the registry and was getting a little discouraged with the paltry amount of points some of the books I was submitting would receive.

With that said, it has become a lot more fun for me. I don't really need a lot of issues with over 40k comics scattered around the house and garage. It's just at times its a lot cheaper for me to purchase some of the same books I have than to submit for grading. If I can purchase a great book in a 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8 why not. I save money, I stack points and I still have books to sell at shows if

I want to unload some.

Thanks for bringing up a great topic :)

I haven't bought a book just for the boost in registry points, but if I see that I am pretty high in the rankings for a set I like, it does influence me a little to go ahead and make a purchase or maybe spend a little more than I would have otherwise.

For whatever reason, I'm also cognizant of the average points value of my entire collection, and have begun to feel negatively toward some of my slabs with very low points. That's hardly fair, but it seems to be a reflection of their undesireability.