• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade these scans

12 posts in this topic

Barring Any defects that cannot be seen from these scans I say that

Deadly Hands is a solid 9.6 Maybe 9.8 (Is there any spine stress? If there is It doesnt look like it. 9.8's are tricky. And almost impossible to say something is a 9.8 from a scan.

That Crazy looks like a 9.2 maybe a 9.4 on a very good day giving the Golden age Curve that applies to Mags. That UR corner and the light dirtying/rubbing at the corners is what drops this one.

Nice books! thumbsup2.gif

-bounty

Thanks bounty_coder I have about 30 of these mags from this era Vampire Tales #1-4, Monsters Unleashed #1-5 , Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1-2,Crazy #1-4 ,Tales Of The Zombie #1-7 ,Monsters of the Movies #1-2 and I would swear that they all would score 9.6 to 9.8 most have all white pages and only a few have slight spine creases.. I have noticed that the 9.6 to 9.8 are getting major bucks on Ebay Going to slab some to see if I can cash in on the 9.8 cgc craze

Thanks again

Joeno 3

Hey Joeno,

First off, Welcome to the Boards!

Why don't you pick a couple of the very best copies you have and get them slabbed? Then you have a better idea where the others will land on the grading curve. Just a 893scratchchin-thumb.gif!

hi.gif

Thanks for the welcome Fuelman those were my thoughts precisely. Glad to be here will keep you informed on grading.

Good deal !

We'll need scans of the front & back of each book, along with a 20 page essay on your oppinion of the grading. No "Cliff-Notes" will be accepted! devil.gif

yay.gif

Deadly Hands is a solid 9.6 Maybe 9.8 (Is there any spine stress? If there is It doesnt look like it. 9.8's are tricky. And almost impossible to say something is a 9.8 from a scan.

confused.gif 9.6-9.8?? The front looks beautiful, but there is discoloring, spotting, and a show on the back cover - I'd be shocked if it got a grade higher than 9.0.

confused.gif 9.6-9.8?? The front looks beautiful, but there is discoloring, spotting, and a show on the back cover - I'd be shocked if it got a grade higher than 9.0.

Brother we are not grading comics. These are magazines. Things to consider. That spotting and discoloration that your talking about. I am thinking that you are referring to the light grey color rubs that are popping up everywhere on the back cover. This is what like 80% of magazines with white backs have. Because of how heavy these were and the stacks that they were formed it, it is common to see this, especially with Covers that had dark and vibrant colors such as this issue (since back was to the neighbors cover).

I do not consider this a defect on magazines. This was caused from production and not from any un-ordinary handling by the owner. 9.0? Lowest I would go on this defect is 9.4, but I dunno, maybe you have some books that got docked quite heavily for production rub to back cover?

Well I gues joeno3 will have to let us both know! I am actually very curious how CGC would treat this.

Okay guys here is another TALESOFTHEZOMBIE.jpg[/img] TALESOFTHEZOMBIEback.jpg[/img]

The white spots on ther cover are some kind of reflection of the bag .If you look close on back scan you will also see these white dots but not as prevelant on white backgroun, trhese are not on mag. Pages snow white. What do you think?

Thanks all,

Joeno3

Nice book. Looks like it has light bindery tears to UL and LL corners. Something very common on magazines. They look like they are 1/8" or less (probably 1/16") Overstreet has noted up to 1/4" spine split on a NM 9.4 Golden age book (same standard used towards Magazines) on an otherwise near perfect book. If they are 1/16" or less then Has the chance of being a NM 9.6 from the scan.

-bounty

Compare the back cover on the Tales from the Zombie to the back cover on the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, and honestly tell me the 2 would get the same grade. The back cover on the Deadly Hands is ugly.

Compare the back cover on the Tales from the Zombie to the back cover on the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, and honestly tell me the 2 would get the same grade. The back cover on the Deadly Hands is ugly.

As said it is production related. And that really isn't the point. That Tales from the Zombie has an UL & LL bindery tears to the corners. That Deadly Hands is nearly flawless from the looks of it besides the back cover (no bindery tears from the look of it).

That is how I have them close to the same grade.

-bounty