• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabs en route...

6 posts in this topic

Turnaround time for Modern non-Fast Track: ~50 business days

Last July I sent in two invoices for slabbing, one with my four Collector's Society coupon books and one with fifteen Moderns. My four Collector's Society have already been revealed in my first journal: http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=14286

Now I see my Moderns are on the way. I checked the tracking number, and they have already left Florida to be delivered tomorrow by UPS.

I'm more nervous than usual about this order, because it contains some that I suspect did not grade especially well. Among others, I submitted several small-press books from Antarctic Press. There are four issues of Gold Digger and two issues of Mangazine, all of which I believe to be the first of their kinds graded. Unfortunately, not all of them were pristine copies, but with print runs around 1500 copies how can you be picky? I hope they are all at least 8.0s. There is also an Eclipse Extra 16 featuring Alan Moore's Miracleman, and a Whitman copy of Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom 31. The rest are fairly mundane Marvel and DC books. I have not checked the grades online to maximize the anticipation. I'd hate to be disappointed by a grade before I even had the book back in hand. I will record the unboxing event on my cellphone and post it to my Dropbox account, keep watching this space for updates!

Until then, enjoy this photo-collage of some of my all-time favorite issues and covers, completely unrelated to this journal entry!

14408.jpg

See more journals by wardevil0

Slabs in hand...

I managed to catch the UPS guy on his first pass last night, and got into my shipment. I can easily say that one was shockingly high and one was shockingly low. I think overall it came out a little lower than I had hoped, but generally within tolerance. Most issues came out on the low end of my estimations, but only one was really a disappointment. I may just crack that slab and get some non-sig series autographs on it. Anyone interested in viewing the unboxing with narration by myself and my cat, message me and I'll send a link.

As to the covers in my collage, I think New Mutants 21 was probably the book that most influenced me into being a life-long comics fan. There was so much going on in that one issue. Illyana's dastardly plot to give Rahne a makeover, and Rahne subsequently punching the stuffing out of Sam when he doesn't recognize her afterwards! Lockheed hanging out with Illyana and being mistaken for a hat! All while the technorganic Warlock was finding his way to the mansion. Classic. This was very like the X-Men baseball game issues, where we see the characters as people who have individual thoughts and emotions instead of action figures who come out for an adventure, then go back into the toybox inert until next month. I got my first copy from a used book store / tobacco shop who sold all their comics at half cover price, minimum 25 cents. Good times.