• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The GI Joe collectible to end all GI Joe Collectibles?

32 posts in this topic

I don't collect GI Joe figures b/c I can't tell the difference between vintage 60s Joes in the box & recent reproductions with similiar vintage style box art. I'm a darn rookie when I walk around toy & collectible cons & see Joe figures. cool.gif

Yeah, let's see...you could spend $600,000+ and buy an awesome 2-bedroom apartment in Manhattan...or a couple of nice properties in the south of France...or all the comics most people could ever want, many times over...or 8 Porsche 911 Cabriolets...or a #@&*ing lame-#@& POS doll!!

I guess somebody's reaaaaaally gotta love GI Joe, have some deep-seated need to compensate for inadequacy AND have at least a $20-$25 million net worth to pi$$ away that much dough for a freaking toy. Oh, and they better have a reaaaallly understanding spouse. tongue.gif

Gene

Heh heh...I know you're a big Joe fan, but are you a big fan of that 1960s toy stuff too? I loved the 1980s incarnation of Joe, but there's not much resemblance to these toys of olde.

I think Murph might have $600K he could lend you. wink.gif

Gene

So, so obsessed with money.

Why is this a twiddle bit different than paying a "ridiculous" sum for an Action #1? Or a Rembrant? Or a Picasso? Or a federal chair? Or a trip around the world? blush.gif

I don't need any of these things in order to live. But I don't b*tvh and moan if someone else feels they're worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

So, so obsessed with money.

Not really. I'm just expressing my opinion (that's still OK to do on these Boards, right?) and putting that $600K into context for those who might be getting numb to these big numbers and think that it's no big deal. And, for the record, I've certainly never been caught on tape defending the stratospheric prices paid for comics, artwork, etc. So, please don't try to incite a meaningless squabble...we've had too many people lately trolling around and hijacking threads by instigating lame arguments on the Board, and it's clearly causing many people to drop out of the Forum. If you've got an axe to grind with me or anyone else, do it through the PMs.

Gene

I dont collect the stuff from the 60s but I still like the stuff. What a way to begin collecting it though huh?! Having the best, first, is the way to go. Hey Murph....loan me $600,000! grin.gif

There isn't a chance in hell someone gets 600k for a damned GI Joe

I think we'd both agree that Spidey is a more valuable franchise than GI Joe...is there a Spidey collectible in existence that would reach $600K?

Gene

You are all being far too comics pariochial. This is akin to somebody discovering the original artwork to AF 15. No, scratch that. This is akin to somebody discovering the original concept drawings for Superman

I'll bet it blows past the $600K easily.

I thought the torn smile.gif original pencil sketches to a Superman prototype from 1937 had already been discovered. Wasn't Beerbohm or someone like that selling b/w prints of that drawing around 1978? There was also a b/w pic of that drawing in Steranko's oversize History of Comics.

The GI Joe model is akin to somebody finding the Superman sketch that Siegel and Schuster took to DC's offices to sell them on the concept. Murph's post two up is staggeringly comics parochial.

The first prototype G.I. Joe action figure, hand-carved in 1963 by the designer of the famous toy

I agree. To me....it seems that a hand-carved by the designer one-of-a-kind toy (and the toy collectible market is BIG) will bring in a very large sum of money. And people are saying this shouldn't bring in money like comics? Could you imagine what a toy collector might be saying? Pay huge money for some item mass produced on paper that was little better than newsprint????.......no thanks....I'm not that stupid.