• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 with Staple Tears / Popped Staples?

41 posts in this topic

OK, so I just received a CGC 9.8 book today and it looks perfect, except for the staples.

The staples appear "popped" and to have torn some of the cover.

First, would you say that this book has "staple tears", which, per Overstreet, is only acceptable on 9.0s and lower...

Second, if this book does have "staple tears", would you say that the tear occurred during production of the book, or after the fact due to improper handling, etc. I assume that if it is production related, then CGC did not count it against the grade. Also, if it is production related, then I do not have as much a problem with it.

However, if the book does have staple tears that occurred due to improper handling, then I am definitely not happy with this book as a 9.8.

Thanks.

Here are the pics:

20131009_220947_zps9e793502.jpg

20131009_220957_zps863bd6c9.jpg

20131009_220856_zps7c52d0fd.jpg

20131009_220917_zps47fc4a80.jpg

Personally, I would grade this book an 8.5. Perhaps the books has sustained inner well damage. The cover may be 'stuck' while the inner part of the book is free flowing. This is a deadly combination when a book is shipped and banged around. Sorry but you have a 9.8 in name only.

That's what I was afraid of...

However, the inner pages do not appear to be free flowing. Also, the inner pages and the cover appear perfectly aligned. Per the serial number, this book was originally graded back in 2000. The case appears brand new though, so I assume that the book was reholdered within the last few years. I guess this type of thing can happen when a book has been, most likely, changing hands for the last 13 years.

I just got this off of eBay a few days ago and I am definitely thinking about returning it... I should be OK with filing a SNAD, I hope.

Thanks!

The staples don't look popped to me. Popped staples means they have pulled through the cover. The staples are clearly visible outside the cover.

This a very, very strong magnification of the area in question. You can easily see the individual dots of color registered on the paper. I don't really see anything that at normal magnification would look like a tear. Instead it just looks more like to me anyway there is some color loss/scrapes at the staples.

Post up a picture or scan of the entire book. I'd like to see that before I decide that the book is way over graded. It does however look like something that could occur from the shaken comic syndrome.

The staples don't look popped to me. Popped staples means they have pulled through the cover. The staples are clearly visible outside the cover.

This a very, very strong magnification of the area in question. You can easily see the individual dots of color registered on the paper. I don't really see anything that at normal magnification would look like a tear. Instead it just looks more like to me anyway there is some color loss/scrapes at the staples.

Post up a picture or scan of the entire book. I'd like to see that before I decide that the book is way over graded. It does however look like something that could occur from the shaken comic syndrome.

+1 At that magnification, it looks grotesque, but what does it look like in actuality?

I will try to get a good scan of the full cover up shortly.

However, staples are small and if you are looking at the book from arm's length, then you probably will not see the issue with the staples.

For comparison though, here is a photo of a normal looking staple on another book in the same run (same publisher, same type of paper, same era).

Normal staple:

20131010_100713_zpscea92b99.jpg

And now one of the staples on my 9.8:

20131009_220957_zps863bd6c9.jpg

The staple may not be "popped", but there are definitely "staple tears", don't you think?

Here's the full book. I'll admit, from a distance, it does look good... But as can be seen in the photos above comparing a normal looking staple to what these staples look like, I find it hard to believe that this is still a 9.8. Thanks.

(Also, my scans are much higher res than this, but Photobucket appears to be resizing my photos).

AmazingSpider-Man361A_zps7e9d3e33.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man361B_zps833b4dac.jpg

That book is a 9.8 all day long. All corners are razor sharp. The staple wear is the only flaw. I would imagine that a couple of slightly fuzzy corners would look like obese polar bears at that magnification.

I guess since you aren't the original slabber you wouldn't know if this was pressed. It seems like a defect that could occur when pressing improperly.

That said, it does look fairly normal without the magnification.

I understand what you are saying. The staple tears do appear to be the only flaws I can see.

However, every grading guide I have ever read says that any staple tears disqualify a book from reaching a grade of "near mint".

Those are not staple tears. At worst, that is color flaking.

I understand what you are saying. The staple tears do appear to be the only flaws I can see.

However, every grading guide I have ever read says that any staple tears disqualify a book from reaching a grade of "near mint".

Those are not staple tears. At worst, that is color flaking.

Does anyone have any photos or scans of a confirmed staple tear for comparison?

Certainly not any tearing at the staples. Just color flaked off. From your hugely magnified pics even the other books staple holes look huge and they have a couple of color breaking stresses. Your magnification is just exaggerating the ugliness.

9.8's are amazing, but they are not perfect. From the full scan the book looks 9.8 to me. So if the book has no other defects I think it'd get 9.8 if resubbed.

As for grading guides - the only grading guide that matters is CGC's - and you haven't read that one unless you worked there as a grader.

I wouldn't call that book a 9.8. But it isn't far off either. Looks more like a slight staple pull. I would put that at around a 9.4 to a 9.6. But hard to determine without really seeing it in person.

Interestingly enough, I just got a copper 9.8 today in the mail and when I looked at it I was a little put off by the wear at the staples. It basically looks identical to your book. At about less than a foot away it becomes noticeable(especially the top staple.)

Is it a 9.8, I don't know. What I do know is it is a noticeable defect to ME personally when I look at the book.

I'm confused. It seems like about 50% of the posters agree with me that this book has staple tears and should not be a 9.8 and the other 50% seem think there are no staple tears and this is clearly a 9.8 all day long.

Now I'm not sure if I should return this or not...

It would be great if someone from CGC could put in a definitive word if what I am seeing is considered a staple tear and if they think it is a production defect, or if it was caused by mishandling the book somewhere along the way...

Thanks!

I'm confused. It seems like about 50% of the posters agree with me that this book has staple tears and should not be a 9.8 and the other 50% seem think there are no staple tears and this is clearly a 9.8 all day long.

Now I'm not sure if I should return this or not...

It would be great if someone from CGC could put in a definitive word if what I am seeing is considered a staple tear and if they think it is a production defect, or if it was caused by mishandling the book somewhere along the way...

Thanks!

They will sell you the grader's notes....