• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 180 statement & questions Marvel Stamp location

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! :hi:

Being new to collecting, I have overlooked something that I thought was intact.

I had purchased a Incredible Hulk 180 I had found in a long box at a LCS for $20. I posted in the thread "Hey Buddy can you spare a grade", and had thought the MVS was in there. I only skimmed through the book, and had "thought" I saw it. I guess I was just to excited that I had actually found a copy.

I am attending NYCC this weekend and I was actually thinking about possibly purchasing a 181. So I decided to refresh my memory and flip through the 180 book to see the actual MVS and see what it looks like. (I know they're different in each book)

Well guess what? The MVS was missing. So I started counting the pages and to my surprise, the whole page where the MVS should be, is completely torn out.

So I googled "missing marvel stamp" to see what it looks like, and I came across something that kinda boggled my mind.

I found a boardie that had sold a 180 7.0 with a missing MVS and CGC had put on the description "Marvel Value Stamp Cut Out of 10th Page, Does Not Effect Story"

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6911929

Now this is where my questions come into place.

Did Marvel print the MVS on different pages back in the 70's?

Because page 10 of my 180 is part of the story, and page 19,20 is the page that is ripped out of my book and where the MVS should be.

Or did CGC make a mistake?

I'm sorry for making this so long, but was just curious. Also my statement is, Please forgive me that I had said in the PGM thread that the MVS "was" intact, when it actually wasn't, my fault and I guess I better flip through all pages of book before I post.

Here's the pictures of 180 page 10 and the page that was torn out. Thanks for any help guys.

photo1_zpse7870eaa.jpg

photo2_zps629ad1a7.jpg

The CGC description is correct. There are 16 double-sided pages in a "32-page" comic book (only story pages are numbered). Count each double-sided page as "one" page in your copy and when you get to where the 10th one should be (i.e., pages 19 and 20), that should be the page which is missing in your book.

I so feel like a huge NOOB right now.... but it's all good. That's why I love these forums.

Nah, that's what we're here for...well, that, and endless arguments over pressing, trimming, and stories about getting swindled on eBay! :grin:

Besides, the page count thing is not completely obvious, and the page numbers can be misleading. You'd be surprised how many "complete" books I've bought over the years from honest, reputable, and established collectors (dealers, too!) which were actually missing at least one non-story page, and all because the seller only looked at the numbered pages! It's a common and very easy mistake to make.

Did Marvel print the MVS on different pages back in the 70's?

Yes. Most locations for the marvel value stamp is somewhat middlish of the comic on the letters page, but some books the letters page was the very back page and the stamp is there.

There were also "teaser" stamps advertising the marvel value stamps a few months in advance and those were printed in the bullpen page that is near the end of the books.

Here is the stamp from Hulk 180:

Hulk180valuestamps_zps215cb9cc.jpg

valuestampbook.jpg

MarvelValueStampcollection_zps190a221b.jpg

Question....I bought something yesterday that I thought was the Value stamp book...upon seeing your picture of the book....I did not buy the value stamp book. Does anyone know anything about the Marvel Stamp album? This also has stamps inside and the one I bought is full....does anyone know where the stamps came from? This is the item I bought.

0d9a6b7fe136585f142cd681a05b4fc2_zps4b0bcf5f.jpg[/img]

Also a picture of one page of the stamps.

d8d1facdffc8df30b1b2cecf1b6ccdd4_zps87a93b9a.jpg[/img]

Those were cool too... they were sold lots of places but I remember seeing them at toy stores and Woolworth way back when. They came in packets of 10 with one of the gold stamps for each of the major heroes. See this closed auction for some examples. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Official-MARVEL-COMICS-SUPER-HERO-STAMPS-COMPLETE-WITH-GOLD-STAMP-/251323378359?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a840a6ab7&nma=true&si=ewmaKLczse1tsoCOriKMIJKOeEg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_44wt_919

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing all those interior pages if you are so inclined to post them up.

Question....I bought something yesterday that I thought was the Value stamp book...upon seeing your picture of the book....I did not buy the value stamp book. Does anyone know anything about the Marvel Stamp album? This also has stamps inside and the one I bought is full....does anyone know where the stamps came from? This is the item I bought.

0d9a6b7fe136585f142cd681a05b4fc2_zps4b0bcf5f.jpg[/img]

That is from 1976 and was sold in department stores. As mentioned the packs of sticker stamps were also sold in stores.

here is a great site with info:

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/marvel_books_stamp/celebrity.html

Also a picture of one page of the stamps.

d8d1facdffc8df30b1b2cecf1b6ccdd4_zps87a93b9a.jpg[/img]

Those were cool too... they were sold lots of places but I remember seeing them at toy stores and Woolworth way back when. They came in packets of 10 with one of the gold stamps for each of the major heroes. See this closed auction for some examples. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Official-MARVEL-COMICS-SUPER-HERO-STAMPS-COMPLETE-WITH-GOLD-STAMP-/251323378359?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a840a6ab7&nma=true&si=ewmaKLczse1tsoCOriKMIJKOeEg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_44wt_919

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing all those interior pages if you are so inclined to post them up.

Oh ok interesting. I am still happy to add it to my collection. I really thought it was the Value stamp book. :tonofbricks: Still need that one then. I can take more pictures of the inside pages later. (thumbs u