• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Art of the Comic Book Exhibit in Oklahoma City

1 post in this topic

I'm not associated with the event at all but this is pretty rare for OKC to have such an event and thought if anyone is nearby may be interested.

I did post this in the OA forum as well. Just think it is cool that OKC has this exhibit and I plan on going and taking my kiddo.

Here is the link and a copy of the story from the newsok website -

http://newsok.com/art-inspired-by-comics-is-focus-of-oklahoma-city-exhibit/article/3891969

Facebook page about the event - https://www.facebook.com/events/645718285461074/

Art inspired by comics is focus of Oklahoma City exhibit

By Matthew Price Published: October 11, 2013

A local art show will celebrate comics and graphic novels with art from and inspired by the world of comics.

Artists across a variety of mediums and styles will exhibit work in “The Art of the Comic Book” at Istvan Gallery, 1218 N Western Ave.

The opening, Friday night at 6, will feature costumed superheroes and members of the Oklahoma Comic Creators (OCC) in a reception hosted by Istvan Gallery owner and curator Stephen Kovash and local comics creator Charles Martin.

“I believe the show will create awareness of the thriving art community right here that is on par with other major cities,” said writer Jackson Compton, who creates “Nadir's Zenith” with featured artist Jerry Bennett. “It may be a great networking tool for individuals to form creative teams to produce the next big thing. Exposure is the key to a following.”

Some work in the show is inspired by comic book imagery; other works are production pages from actual comic-books.

“Comics possess accessibility for both the audience and the creator that you don't get with any other storytelling device,” said Charles Martin, member of OCC and founder of Literati Press, in a news release. “They are an active art from, like a novel. You have to put in some work to consume a comic book, but they are much more immediate and approachable. Unlike a movie or a play, the creator is unrestrained by budget. Whatever the artist can draw can exist. Hollywood is just now approaching the visual scale that comic book artists have been working with for decades.”

Kovash said the idea to put on a comics-themed exhibit sprang from the success of his recent video game-themed exhibit.

“I think there are some great people doing comic books in Oklahoma,” Kovash said. He also said nontraditional art shows appeal to patrons in their 20s and 30s.

“They want to see stuff that is fun, but work that they consider to be quality,” he said.

The gallery's comic book show will continue through Oct. 27. Guests are encouraged to come in costume if they wish for Friday's opening.