• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommend some horror?

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I have mainly been looking at marvel superheroes so far in my collecting, but the art on the cover of some of the old horror comics is awesome, so I am thinking of branching out a bit.

Can anyone recommend a series that has the great stories to go with the covers, but won't break the bank? (My bank being up to £60-£80 a book)

Cheers!

Hi folks,

I have mainly been looking at marvel superheroes so far in my collecting, but the art on the cover of some of the old horror comics is awesome, so I am thinking of branching out a bit.

Can anyone recommend a series that has the great stories to go with the covers, but won't break the bank? (My bank being up to £60-£80 a book)

Cheers!

There are many choices for pre-code horror -- EC's are always classic, so too are Atlas, I happen to like the violent books from Story (Mysterious Adventures, Dark Mysteries, Fight Against Crime.)

Your best bet might be to pick up some of the many precode anthology reprints made in the last 20 years and more recently. Look for The horror! The horror!, the run of BW reprints in Tales too Terrible to Tell, the more recent Chilling Archives of Horror, and the many formats of EC reprints available.

All the above won't amount to much of your budget if a bit at a time is bought -- you can peruse and decide which originals you might like to go for. In the meantime, check out the below site for free -- enjoy! The current story featured is a Jack Cole classic from Web of Evil #1.

http://thehorrorsofitall.blogspot.com/

What grade(s) would you be willing to accept?

It's worth noting, compared to silver age, most precode collectors find the material to sort of top out around fine-ish range. There are exceptions and pedigree copies around, but by and large much less prevalent in high grade vs. silver age stuff.

For #20 start off with the full run of TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL from New England Comics. The series was cut short but still has 11 isues in the set. Tons of not only color cover repros and B&W pre-code horror stories, but also descriptions and more in-depth writing on many of the publishers.

If you want to get into pre-code it will be the best $20 you can spend.

Link is here:

www.necpress.com/Ticksearch.aspx?q=[HORROR]

Three down at the left is the full set.

That [HORROR] thing at the end mucks up the link no matter how I try. Just copy/paste from www through HORROR} into your browser.