• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Hacking Your Twitter...

32 posts in this topic

I get your point, DG, but tracking cookies and the like is a different kettle of fish. My point was that while you are technically correct that giving an app access to your social media account information is enabling them to do something like NYCC did, it's not allowing them to do so. I'd argue there's a difference. If you give an electrician access to your house to do a job for you, it doesn't mean you allow them eat your cornflakes or pee on your carpet.

This social media stuff is getting out of hand!

When did Facebook and Twitter become so all important?

Some of these sites are annoying in that they won`t let you see the page unless you join Facebook!

2c

Join :baiting:

I had different accounts over the last few years, and all end up the same.

People inviting me to play dull games, trying to sell me something or telling me to like this or that. bah humbug!

lol

I bet in five years people will go doh!

how could I waste so much time of my life to being on Facebook and Twitter?

If people want to meet people go out in the real world!

I will take one real good friend over a bunch of people following me on Twitter or being apart of my 1000 social friends on Facebook! :cloud9:

Having said that, I see that since my first post someone posted an article showing a screenshot that shows that they did indeed specify permission to post on the user's behalf, so the users are partly at fault. Still, they should never have used the first-person, endorsing format they did.

If you accept cross-site logins or let apps access your account, you are allowing this type of activity whether it happens or not.

The things you see are not as big of a concern as the things you don't see.

Information is being collected about you that has far more potential for bad.

DG

+1 This is just the information being shared with the public, what you don't know is what they pulled from the accounts while access was granted.

I wondered by a con badge needed an RFID chip. Seems sketchy to me.

The kind of virtual handshake you are referring to is usually a one-time, testimony-type of response, authored and signed by a brand/company/vendor.

Posting in a way that appears like an endorsement authored by an individuals account is hacking:

greg-miller-nycc.jpg

BIG difference.

Nope, because they tell you they are going to do it when you agree to use the app. Go back and look at any other apps apporoved. Many of them tell you that they will do it too.

DG

I get your point, DG, but tracking cookies and the like is a different kettle of fish. My point was that while you are technically correct that giving an app access to your social media account information is enabling them to do something like NYCC did, it's not allowing them to do so. I'd argue there's a difference. If you give an electrician access to your house to do a job for you, it doesn't mean you allow them eat your cornflakes or pee on your carpet.

Cookies are one tool. A rather limited one at that. The ante is higher now.

Google can track you with adsense since they post ads on a large majority of the sites. They can record your IP trail and characteristics unique to your browsing. Companies which used to be called ad servers are now called "Content Delivery Services". Try viewing facebook content if you block Akamai.

You are being profiled. Content is being filtered and they are dumbing down the surfing experience to make everyone lazy and cater to it.

This guy is very nice with his message, but it is valid and far more serious than he treats it.

DG

If you accept cross-site logins or let apps access your account, you are allowing this type of activity whether it happens or not.

DG

+1 This is just the information being shared with the public, what you don't know is what they pulled from the accounts while access was granted.

The kind of virtual handshake you are referring to is usually a one-time, testimony-type of response, authored and signed by a brand/company/vendor.

Posting in a way that appears like an endorsement authored by an individuals account is hacking:

greg-miller-nycc.jpg

BIG difference.

Nope, because they tell you they are going to do it when you agree to use the app. Go back and look at any other apps apporoved. Many of them tell you that they will do it too.

DG

I'm pretty sure we are talking about two different things.

App authorization (which is not what happened in this situation) and some type of checkpoint which accessed people's account without authorization

The blog mentions it happened during registration, which sounds more like a geocaching-type of system which broadcasts you are in attendance, or at location XYZ.

The issue seems to be the part about unauthorized access to people's accounts, which were used to promote NYCC and direct link every follower to their Facebook page.

Privacy and security safeguards are front and center topics in technology, and simply put, someone got too caught up in the promotional aspects of leveraging this technology to properly think through how to use it responsibly.

The misconceptions about technology, especially in regards to social media and marketing in this thread are awe-inspiring.

They did nothing wrong.

Frowned upon? Probably, but nothing less than literally hundreds of social media and gaming sites that rely on viralized marketing do on a daily basis by the literally 10s of millions of users.

I know, I worked in that industry.

I don't have twitter or facebook - besides having absolutely no purpose except to amuse the mentally barren, this is why.

Just finishing another action packed day at NYCC... I wasn't a fan of the RFID thing and it was weird that you had to 'tap out' to leave (meaning your badge had to clear in order for you to leave peacefully???)

Anyways, this story about the tweets is pretty bad. :(

DG

greg-miller-nycc.jpg

BIG difference.

DG

I'm pretty sure we are talking about two different things.

App authorization (which is not what happened in this situation) and some type of checkpoint which accessed people's account without authorization

The blog mentions it happened during registration, which sounds more like a geocaching-type of system which broadcasts you are in attendance, or at location XYZ.

The issue seems to be the part about unauthorized access to people's accounts, which were used to promote NYCC and direct link every follower to their Facebook page.

Privacy and security safeguards are front and center topics in technology, and simply put, someone got too caught up in the promotional aspects of leveraging this technology to properly think through how to use it responsibly.

They show the authorization screen in one of the links. The user authorizes the app to post for them. Most people don't pay attention when they accept the terms.

DG

The misconceptions about technology, especially in regards to social media and marketing in this thread are awe-inspiring.

They did nothing wrong.

Frowned upon? Probably, but nothing less than literally hundreds of social media and gaming sites that rely on viralized marketing do on a daily basis by the literally 10s of millions of users.

Legally, they did what was allowed.

The degree in which marketing companies collect and collate data is the equivalent of stalking and should be illegal. Whether you were in the industry or not, I'm all for laws against it.

If you shopped at Walmart and someone tagged around your side writing down everything you did while you shopped including what you looked at, keywords in what you said, and what you bought... you'd have a problem with that. How is it different online? It's no different than peeping in some girl's window to see her in a bra and panties. It's an invasion of privacy.

DG

They did nothing wrong.

Legally, they did what was allowed.

The degree in which marketing companies collect and collate data is the equivalent of stalking and should be illegal. Whether you were in the industry or not, I'm all for laws against it.

If you shopped at Walmart and someone tagged around your side writing down everything you did while you shopped including what you looked at, keywords in what you said, and what you bought... you'd have a problem with that. How is it different online? It's no different than peeping in some girl's window to see her in a bra and panties. It's an invasion of privacy.

DG

Very true. If you want to see a truly terrifying example of overreaching permissions take a look at the permissions you are granting to Facebook for their app. It includes your locations, read/write files on your device, your phone logs, your application logs, your camera, your microphone, and it can install anything without notification. So, it can tell where you are, take a picture or film if it wants to, install an application without telling you, record your phone calls, upload all of your data to a remote server, uninstall an application without telling you, modify all logs to remove evidence, and set the battery on fire.

Ok, the last bit is an exaggeration, maybe. :(