• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which came first JIM 83 or AF 15

75 posts in this topic

Both were cover dated 8/62. Anyone have any idea which was actually on the stands first?

I believe they both would have come out at about the same time, perhaps only a couple weeks apart at best.

Here's a great resource for Marvel Comics. Click the Month tab and see what was on the stands at the time.

The Silver Age Marvel Cover Index thumbsup2.gif

I believe they both would have come out at about the same time, perhaps only a couple weeks apart at best.

But that's precisely my question. Which came first in that month?

Here's a great resource for Marvel Comics. Click the Month tab and see what was on the stands at the time.

The Silver Age Marvel Cover Index thumbsup2.gif

That site is actually why I asked the question. I was there earlier tonight counting the months between the first few Marvel Universe titles and noticed that both of these books had the same cover date. That got me to thinking...

Both were cover dated 8/62. Anyone have any idea which was actually on the stands first?

Time for a coin toss...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or someone with an OO collection with full date stamps. Which is what I'd really like to see.

Reading Stan's notes in The Origins of Marvel Comics,you'd think that Spidey came out long beore Thor.

Direct quotes."suppose you had a newly created stable of superstars....to say nothing of a wall-crawling Wunderkind and a jolly green giant" page 177

"I wouldn't have the time to continue with THe Fantastic Four,The Hulk,Spider-Man,and the odd western....."page 179

" I needed someone to write the new feature,which hopefully would be Marvels fourth winner..." page 180

"Goldilocks broke as many sales records as The Fantastic Four,The Hulk,and Spider-Man had done before him" page 182

Who are you going to believe? Your lying eyes or Stan Da Man

Just a brief aside, I have had a Fantastic Four 1 with a date stamp of July 28, 1961. Coolness, man!

Two days after my 7th birthday.........if only........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

as one of the few board members who was 14 years old and buying these comics at the time they hit the stand, i'm going to remember that these 2 issues came out on the same day. books would come into Sid's Luncheonette once a week and i recall these two coming in together, but can't verify that. date stamps would be great but a variance of less than a week probably would mean they came out the same day as stores probably all handled that a wee bit differently, and deliveries were probably not 100% consistent. date stamps that vary by more than a week or so, might then suggest that the books were released in different weeks. hope somebody finds some.

that site linked by Fuelman is awesome. i'd opine that may 1962 should be highlighted in pink as an "Important" month since the Hulk #1 premiered and the Sub-Mariner was reborn in FF #4. you cannot imagine how nostalgic it is to look at the books by month and remember buying most of the hero ones. i can remember not being at all interested in ironman or antman and hence my early issues were all picked up later in used condition at a couple of used bookstores that operated in Newark just off Broad and Market streets. i also never got into Sgt Fury (except for the CA issue #13).

FD's FF#1 with the july datestamp is awesome. who woulda thunk??? i was one month out of eighth grade when that book hit the newstands in the summer of 1961 cloud9.gif

as one of the few board members who was 14 years old and buying these comics at the time they hit the stand, i'm going to remember that these 2 issues came out on the same day. books would come into Sid's Luncheonette once a week and i recall these two coming in together, but can't verify that. date stamps would be great but a variance of less than a week probably would mean they came out the same day as stores probably all handled that a wee bit differently, and deliveries were probably not 100% consistent. date stamps that vary by more than a week or so, might then suggest that the books were released in different weeks. hope somebody finds some.

Cool. I'd love to get some date stamp data on these books to see if they match up with your recollection. I'll maybe poke around Heritage some time this weekend.

Its actually pretty funny that newsstands went to all the trouble to stamp the comics when they came in. I mean, why bother? The printed dates on the covers were set 2 months ahead just to alert the retailers when to pull them when they were old. If it's July, pull all the comics with July dates!! voila!

Did the storeowners have their OWN anal system that relied on the EXACT number of datys the books sat on the shelves to tell them to pull them?? Seems like way more work than was necessary. (Well, mayb enot WAY more, maybe 35% more 27_laughing.gif)

Its actually pretty funny that newsstands went to all the trouble to stamp the comics when they came in. I mean, why bother? The printed dates on the covers were set 2 months ahead just to alert the retailers when to pull them when they were old. If it's July, pull all the comics with July dates!! voila!

Did the storeowners have their OWN anal system that relied on the EXACT number of datys the books sat on the shelves to tell them to pull them?? Seems like way more work than was necessary. (Well, mayb enot WAY more, maybe 35% more 27_laughing.gif)

Distribution was way different then young man, books were delivered at all different times by different sub-distributors to different locations. There was a considerable amount of variance in delivery dates across the country. It was way before direct market sales. The retailer returned the books to ITS distributor for credit. By stamping them, there was no room for argument between them - Hey, 12 cents was 12 cents back then!

that site linked by Fuelman is awesome. i'd opine that may 1962 should be highlighted in pink as an "Important" month since the Hulk #1 premiered and the Sub-Mariner was reborn in FF #4. you cannot imagine how nostalgic it is to look at the books by month and remember buying most of the hero ones. i can remember not being at all interested in ironman or antman and hence my early issues were all picked up later in used condition at a couple of used bookstores that operated in Newark just off Broad and Market streets. i also never got into Sgt Fury (except for the CA issue #13).

FD's FF#1 with the july datestamp is awesome. who woulda thunk??? i was one month out of eighth grade when that book hit the newstands in the summer of 1961 cloud9.gif

Awesome recollection BB! 893applaud-thumb.gif Let's see, I was 7 . . .

Distribution was way different then young man, books were delivered at all different times by different sub-distributors to different locations. There was a considerable amount of variance in delivery dates across the country. It was way before direct market sales. The retailer returned the books to ITS distributor for credit. By stamping them, there was no room for argument between them - Hey, 12 cents was 12 cents back then!

thanx for the compliment, but if you were 7 in 1961, then I should be calling YOU young man!!!

I still dont understand why the comics needed to be stamped upon receipt, The distribs have records of what they delivered and when, no? And if the date stamps were to prove tpo the distribs when they received them, why couldnt the mom and pop stores just put any date thay want that qualified for credit at the last minute before shipping them back for credit??

I Still dont see any reason for the date stamps.

...and not every stationery store etc stamped their books (obviously or ALL Silver Age books would have them!). My favorite after school job was working in one and I got to open the bundles of comics and magazines each week and put them on th eracks....and I was neer asked to put dates of any kind on them.....