• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which came first JIM 83 or AF 15

75 posts in this topic

Stan wrote those "historical recollections" back in the days when he could single handedly claim anything he wanted. ...and as we all know, he did. Im not one who think it was purely out of greed or ego however.... but Stan was then the personification of Marvel Comics in the public's minds. And it was working well for the company. He just played his part: unfortunately, for the rest of the "cast" --( the artists, writers who were actually the co- and sometimes real- creators of much of the Marvel Universe.) -- they were only props in the corners of the stage....not really convenient to the mythos that Stan Lee was teh Grand Master Storyteller of the comics Age. What could Stan do?? break the spell??? No!! That might be bad for business!! The Show Must Go On.

I believe Stan wrote that stuff without really worrying whether those srories were 100% accurate, or half accurate at all. Theye were just more stories he was writing, albeit in this case about his own actions and those of Jack, Steve and the rest.

Im glad you agree with me about the reality for these creators back then, that they were just pumping out '[!@#%^&^]', month by month for a paycheck. Dont misunderstand me, they were all working hard to write and draw great work, at the best of their abilities,,, just that they were never under any illusions that they were creating "ART" or anything of any lasting significance. In the early 60s moreover, most of them were just happy comics companies needed them again at all after the collapse in the late 50s.

So when, ten years later, there was an interest in how it all began.... Stan could weave yet more magical tales of creativity!!!

I also get a kick out of remembering Stan lament for years how he never kepy any of the comics!! and VOILA!!! boxes full in every closet!

Awesome. I wanted to do that myself but I haven't had the time since I posed the question. That means the date stamp data we have ties in with BB's recollection of both books appearing the same day.

I just did a quick scan of comiclink as well and saw one copy of each dated. Interestingly, both books were hand dated 6/1 in a pretty similar style, and the "last update" for their comiclink listings is the same day for each book, so it's possible they are from the same OO collection.

this sure sounds like they were shipped the same week to me...

i'm going to remember that these 2 issues came out on the same day. books would come into Sid's Luncheonette once a week and i recall these two coming in together,

What a week that was for comic book fans. cloud9.gif

I remember as a kid buying the AF before the JIM. Every Tuesday at the same store for years during that time, I would go evey week and buy my comics. I have a pretty good memory of buying my old silverage books back when they first came out.

And for you out there that may not know. FF#12 came out a good two weeks before AM#1.

heres an interesting new factoid for the discussion. I just came upon this JIM83 auction from our dear friend Blazing Bob. Note his description of the book states:

This is a auction of Journey Into Mystery #83 CGC VF 8.0 with offwhite to white pages,  date stamp of May 28 PM on back cover.  

So at least one store got theirs a week earlier than those other copies mentioned earlier...

BBs ended auction

i think the facts gathered suggest that the two books hit the newstands right around the same date. stan's recollection must refer to the creation of the heroes and not the release date of the books. (the earliest date stamp so far has JIM 83 in the lead, but all the others are within a day of one another).

so Rob, i'd say you have your answer................cool topic and interesting answer and research........... thumbsup2.gif

so Rob, i'd say you have your answer................cool topic and interesting answer and research........... thumbsup2.gif

I'm thinking we have a pretty good case here. I'll keep my eyes open for DS data on these books, just to add to the pile.

Thanks everyone for helping me sate my curiosity! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have a couple questions for Mister Comic, Burntboy, and anybody else who was buying comics off the stands regularly at that time: Your posts imply weekly purchases at your local newsstand/store. Was there a fairly consistent "new comic day" each week at your local newsstand, or did it vary somewhat? Do you know if most or all of them arrived in one batch or were they scattered through the week based on publisher, perhaps? I love hearing about what being a comics fan was like back then.

I have a couple questions for Mister Comic, Burntboy, and anybody else who was buying comics off the stands regularly at that time:

In Chicago Bridgeport were I grew up comics came out every Thursday at three places that I bought comics from. (It was Thursday not Tuesday like I mentioned above. Sorry my mistake.) Two places were mom & pop stores and one was a newsstand. I visited one more in particle then the others. As I remember DC, Marvel, Charston, and all the other publications came in regularly on Thursday. It wasn't one week DC's and the next week Marvels. No it was always a mixed of all. You would get the first week of the month FF, Strange Tales, TOS, TTA, Batman, Det, JLA, Gorgo, Reptilicus, and so on. Then the next week you'd get ASM, X-Men, Worlds Finest, B&B, Showcase, Supes, Konga, and so on. Not all of the DC's would come out the first week. Same for the other publishers. It was a consistent new comics each week. Plus you always had some of last weeks still in the racks, but usually not many. Especially the superhero stuff. Long time ago I use to jot down the days I bought the books. And that was on the day they came out at the stores and newsstand. I quit jotting down long ago and I'm not sure I still have that old note book. It would be great if I could find it but I doubt I still held on to it. Would of helped out with this thread.

The one thing I do remember the most was that FF came out the first week. Spidey followed a week or two later.

Very interesting thread. thumbsup2.gif

my memory is sketchy too. What I remember most was the late 60s. I recall clearly that th eMarvels came out two weeks out of the month. Half one week, and all the rest the other week. I would gues it would have been the first and third weeks (as that makes good business sense to spread out the work best) but just do not remember. More confusing is that I seem to recall the two days as having been the Tuesday and Thursday of the same week!!

BUT, it was cool to get them ALL in one visit and the next... and nothing till next month. Not like today where far more comics stream out continuously week after week. It also helped the Marvel Universe continuity that each month was literally a new month in the whole Universe....each event adding on top of the last.

Thanks for the reply, Mr. C. I often think about what the atmosphere of buying comics at that time must have been like when I look through my collection. Great post. thumbsup2.gif

Hey, since you grew up in Chicago here's another question... I started reading comics in the early/mid '70's, and grew up in downstate IL. One thing about buying comics that I recall from that era is that it seems like Charlton comics were available in many places that Marvel and DC's were not - like dime stores and grocery stores that didn't carry other comics would have a small rack of Charltons, but no other comics (this annoyed me as a kid because at the time I wanted Marvels). I have a vague idea that this might be a midwest phenomenon as I believe I have read that Charltons might not have been very available on the west coast, for example.

Anyway, I'm curious if you recall running across Charltons in lots of places like that as well.

I recall clearly that th eMarvels came out two weeks out of the month. Half one week, and all the rest the other week. I would gues it would have been the first and third weeks (as that makes good business sense to spread out the work best) but just do not remember. More confusing is that I seem to recall the two days as having been the Tuesday and Thursday of the same week!!

Interesting. What kind of places were you buying from?

Hey, since you grew up in Chicago here's another question... I started reading comics in the early/mid '70's, and grew up in downstate IL. One thing about buying comics that I recall from that era is that it seems like Charlton comics were available in many places that Marvel and DC's were not - like dime stores and grocery stores that didn't carry other comics would have a small rack of Charltons, but no other comics

In the neighborhood were I grew up there was a mom & pop store on just about every block. Right behind my home were I lived was a small grocery store that sold just Charstons. No other brands as I can remember. They also had the rack with the bagged "3 for 15 cents" books. Those had all kinds without covers. But that was the only store I remember that sold just Charstons. The other two stores and newsstand carried Charstons all the time.

Talk about flashbacks.

I just remembered the grandkid of the store owner works here were I do. I should ask him if he'd have any memories of this stuff.

In Chicago Bridgeport were I grew up comics came out every Thursday

That's interesting. I grew up in Chicago also and was most active buying comics in the 1970-80 period. During that time period Thursdays were also comic book day. Does anyone know if Thursday was a national distribution day or just regional?

I recall clearly that th eMarvels came out two weeks out of the month. Half one week, and all the rest the other week. I would gues it would have been the first and third weeks (as that makes good business sense to spread out the work best) but just do not remember. More confusing is that I seem to recall the two days as having been the Tuesday and Thursday of the same week!!

Interesting. What kind of places were you buying from?

this was one of those Stationery shops, that sold magazines, candy, chatchkes, Hallmark cards etc. They still exist today. To me it was my LCS cause all I wanted from them was comics (and candy odf course!) - - - ! I dont know what my mom or other grown-ups might have called it...

In NYC/Long Island in the mid-70s,comics were distributed on Wednesday. Stores recieved them in the afternoon so they weren't put out until Thursday in some stores.

In 1976,when I started buying direct from the newstand distributors,I'd pick up my books on Weds.