• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Office delivered my book to wrong address and E-Bay ate my cookie.

42 posts in this topic

As I was reading the first post I thought for sure that eBay would have sided with the buyer.

This is shocking as this rarely happens.

I guess I'm confused as how you find the seller coverage a complete joke but they sided with you - did I miss something?

I sold some headphones a couple years ago via Paypal and they were delivered but to the wrong address (same street # but different zip code). I had signature confirmation on it and insurance. Paypal sided with the buyer. I lost that case (about $600 worth of merchandise).

Are you worried about negative feedback from the buyer?

And I guess its the buyer coverage that sucks but since the sellers take the hit by either losing customers or refunding anyhow - the seller takes the hit no matter what unless E-Bay refunds the money without charging the seller. Does that ever happen?

the seller takes the hit no matter what unless E-Bay refunds the money without charging the seller. Does that ever happen?
Why would they refund the money to the buyer and let the seller keep the money also? One of the parties has to bear the risk. That's what insurance and refunds are for.

If the package is insured, you should be able to file it as lost.

Sounds like you didn't insure it and if it never turns up, you're SOL

:sorry:

Sorry bud, but Brock is right :sorry:

Yeah - the USPS covers up to $50 of insurance, so any book(s) worth more than that should always be insured going out.

-slym

Yeah - the USPS covers up to $50 of insurance, so any book(s) worth more than that should always be insured going out.

-slym

I think the coverage is only for Priority mail - no coverage for first class.

-slym

I think the coverage is only for Priority mail - no coverage for first class.

Priority gets the 50$ ins and tracking. First class doesnt.

And why should the seller eat half the price?

You sent a $110 dollar book 1st Class? You could still have insured it, I know I have eaten insurance costs before to make sure that if a higher-dollar item gets damaged, I am only out an extra $2.25 over $100+.

:eek:

-slym

I pay for private insurance. (CIA) but it covers books over $50 and under $250 , more if I add signature confirmation and $100 insurance.

That covers comics. For other items on eBay I've bought that new eBay insurance. They cover the shipping as well on a refund.

It came in handy when someone claimed a teapot had a chip, they covered it without any hassle.

I never ask for insurance money on eBay, I just figure it's another fee I have to pay, I'm the one it protects, so I pay for it..

I know you are torn because you know what the right thing to do is and I'm sure that even though it's painful, you will send the person his/her refund.

Sorry this happened to you, I hope the book shows up shortly.

I just sent the buyer a full refund including shipping cost. Its the best thing to do and even though I will have to sell one of my cats :cry::eyeroll:

I got cocky about not paying for insurance after several years of having no problems. Lesson learned.

Thanks guys - I was leaning toward only offering 1/2 refund and I'm glad your insight helped me do the right thing.

That would kill my E-Bay sales. I charge $4 for First Class shipping with delivery confirmation and people complain about that. I can't imagine if I charged $6.50 with signature confirmation.

I charge $5.35 priority for single books. If its a low dollar book I only charge $3.35 and take the other 2 dollars from the sale price after the sale, or add it into the BIN. $5.35 is the cost the post office charges online after discounts, so while it may seem high to buyers, all of it IS going towards shipping.

I know it might discourage a few sales, especially on books I sell for 10 dollars or less but it is the quickest and most efficient way to move books and limit potential problems. Because of the included tracking and insurance coverage (50 bucks) and quick delivery time (1-4 days), I don't get bogged down with transactions that are in shipping limbo. Customers get the book a few days after buying it and they are either satisfied or they are not.

From what I've seen customers are pretty quick to ignore the higher shipping charge once they get their book the same week they ordered it, packaged safely and in the condition described. As a regular ebay buyer I rarely get a book quickly that was shipped safely and in the condition described, so if you can do all of those things at the cost of a slightly higher shipping charge I think you'll be fine.

You sent a $110 dollar book 1st Class? You could still have insured it, I know I have eaten insurance costs before to make sure that if a higher-dollar item gets damaged, I am only out an extra $2.25 over $100+.

:eek:

-slym

If I ship out a couple hundred packages over the year its an extra $400 in insurance cost so I guess its a numbers game since only $100 worth of goods got lost in the last couple years.

Agree with the other comments. The right thing is to refund him the full amount, even if ebay does not hold you liable. To the buyer, if this were a transaction with amazon they would expect a reship of the product and amazon would eat the loss. They don't view you differently - even though you're just selling through eBay. And Sometimes going the extra mile will pay back in future transactions.

Agree with the other comments. The right thing is to refund him the full amount, even if ebay does not hold you liable. To the buyer, if this were a transaction with amazon they would expect a reship of the product and amazon would eat the loss. They don't view you differently - even though you're just selling through eBay. And Sometimes going the extra mile will pay back in future transactions.

I did send them a separate e-mail offering to send them a list of all the books I currently have to sell if they wanted. Maybe I'll get a good customer out of all this - who knows.

If I ship out a couple hundred packages over the year its an extra $400 in insurance cost so I guess its a numbers game since only $100 worth of goods got lost in the last couple years.

Insurance is specifically a numbers game.

I don't insure anything until it gets to a level where the cost to my psyche outweighs the cost of the insurance. That usually ranges somewhere between $250 - $500 depending on my perception of the riskiness of the transaction. I figure I am due a big hit sooner or later.

As I was reading the first post I thought for sure that eBay would have sided with the buyer.

This is shocking as this rarely happens.

I guess I'm confused as how you find the seller coverage a complete joke but they sided with you - did I miss something?

I sold some headphones a couple years ago via Paypal and they were delivered but to the wrong address (same street # but different zip code). I had signature confirmation on it and insurance. Paypal sided with the buyer. I lost that case (about $600 worth of merchandise).

Are you worried about negative feedback from the buyer?

And I guess its the buyer coverage that sucks but since the sellers take the hit by either losing customers or refunding anyhow - the seller takes the hit no matter what unless E-Bay refunds the money without charging the seller. Does that ever happen?

There was an incident where I was the buyer and I purchased a book but the seller did not disclose the water damage. When I contacted him letting him know I wanted to return the book (he did accept returns) the seller said he would but would not refund my original shipping. I told him that eBay rules stated I should get a full refund including shipping. We went back and forth (I won't go into the details but I know I'll never buy from them again). I escalated it to eBay and they refunded me the full purchase price and let the seller keep the money. I also got to keep the book.

I was shocked (it was for a book less than $15)

I haven't lost a book that I've shipped yet and I always ship via USPS. I do move up to priority when it's over $50 and any book I sell on the boards I've decided to automatically ship priority no matter what, anything of high value (over $150) I get some insurance and always signature confirmation if the book is very valuable (over $200).

It was nice that you did what you did and I'm sure it will come back to you in some other way.

Good guys don't finish last.

The lady already e-mailed me and is so happy to not lose the money. They really want that book so she is keeping her eye out for it.

Get dealer coverage from cia. if you casually sell on ebay, get dealer coverage. cant remember my policy off the top of my head but i think imcovered for up to $250 without signature in the us, it could be more. it covers anything comics coming or going. i never pay for usps insurance anymore because of this and ill ship anything, anywhere.

I don't insure anything until it gets to a level where the cost to my psyche outweighs the cost of the insurance. That usually ranges somewhere between $250 - $500 depending on my perception of the riskiness of the transaction. I figure I am due a big hit sooner or later.

+1 to both. It doesn't make sense financially to insure every tiny package. $400 is a good guess at what I would have spent to insure everything I shipped this year on my dime... not impossible, but it's not pocket change either and it does add up.

Get dealer coverage from cia. if you casually sell on ebay, get dealer coverage. cant remember my policy off the top of my head but i think imcovered for up to $250 without signature in the us, it could be more. it covers anything comics coming or going. i never pay for usps insurance anymore because of this and ill ship anything, anywhere.

How much does you coverage cost per month?

+1.

I view insurance on anything as just that - can I afford to cover the loss myself. There is one reason, and one reason alone that insurance is sold - because it makes them money. I self-insure as much as possible, high deductibles when I do pay for it, skip it if the loss wouldn't be so great.

+1 to both. It doesn't make sense financially to insure every tiny package. $400 is a good guess at what I would have spent to insure everything I shipped this year on my dime... not impossible, but it's not pocket change either and it does add up.

I am like you, in that I don't insure every little package. I will take a small risk. Even one eBayer that won four auctions from me recently spent $23, including postage. Yeah, those I don't insure either.

If it was a higher-dollar item or a collection of smaller ones that added up to a good amount, though, then yes- I insure. If nothing else, having the label say "INSURED" helps keep potential scammers in check. If anyone ever wants a partial refund for something I feel sketchy about, I say "return item for full refund" and would have to file a claim with the USPS, but I'd get my $ worth from that insurance. I've done that once in my career at eBay and the buyer declined, because he was trying to scam me.

***EDIT*** I am admittedly NOT a high-volume dealer, I know that can make a big difference. I have been on eBay over a decade, my feedback isn't yet 600. :blush:

-slym