• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Office delivered my book to wrong address and E-Bay ate my cookie.

42 posts in this topic

I sold a Strange Tales 115 for about $110 a couple months ago on E-Bay and shipped the book out via USPS First Class within a couple days of getting payment. Couple weeks go by and the buyer e-mails me and says "hey where is my book?" I check and the book is showing as being delivered a couple days after shipping. I contact the post office in the Philadelphia area and they say the package was accidently delivered to an internet company that gets thousands of packages a week and these kind of mistakes happen all the time!!

I contact the buyer and tell them about this and request they file a claim with E-Bay since I couldn't file a claim for them. E-Bay did not allow them to file a non-delivered claim since delivery confirmation says it was delivered so they filed a claim stating the book was not as described since that was the only option. I harassed the post office over the following weeks and they kept saying the package was definitely going to be returned since it sometimes takes time. Of course the buyer is going on 5 weeks since they paid for the book and no book.

Last week I decided to have E-Bay make a decision and presented all the facts and detail. I requested they refund the buyer's money since I had done everything I was suppose to do per the contract and they had done nothing wrong (unless they are lying to me which is unlikely based on their feedback). It took them a day but they ruled in my favor and did not refund the buyers money! I thought this case was simple and was a prime example of E-Bay protection of sellers and buyers. I do not automatically require insurance unless requested by the buyer due to how cheap E-Bay buyers are in terms of shipping cost and I only mandate it if the book is over $200.

I am waiting to hear back from the manager of the post office but it appears the book is lost and the post office is saying "sorry all we can do is wait". I've contacted the buyer and offered to refund half their money so we will split the cost of the error on the post office's part. E-Bay contacted me and said I don't have to pay them anything but its not their fault the package is lost. The buyers were pissed at the ruling from E-Bay and they are even more pissed about not getting their killer book.

Any advise in terms of getting the post office to pay since they admit they made a mistake? Was the half refund acceptable based on the situation?

Wow. That whole thing sounds like it just sucks. I think it's great that you kept everything transparent. I guess my opinion would be that the purchaser should be refunded the full amount - even though it's neither one of your faults, I think the responsibility falls onto the seller to absorb the full cost.

I'm sure it's debateable, but that's where I've always stood. I've had to take it in the shorts as a business owner in similar situations, and I just believe that's all part of the risk of being in business.

Does the delivery confirmation have to be signed for?

No. I did not require a signature confirmation in my auction. I only do that for books over $200.

Wow. That whole thing sounds like it just sucks. I think it's great that you kept everything transparent. I guess my opinion would be that the purchaser should be refunded the full amount - even though it's neither one of your faults, I think the responsibility falls onto the seller to absorb the full cost.

I'm sure it's debateable, but that's where I've always stood. I've had to take it in the shorts as a business owner in similar situations, and I just believe that's all part of the risk of being in business.

+1, sadly. :(

No. I did not require a signature confirmation in my auction. I only do that for books over $200.

In that case I'm surprised that Ebay didn't side with the buyer.

I get everything over $50 signed for.

That would kill my E-Bay sales. I charge $4 for First Class shipping with delivery confirmation and people complain about that. I can't imagine if I charged $6.50 with signature confirmation.

That would kill my E-Bay sales. I charge $4 for First Class shipping with delivery confirmation and people complain about that. I can't imagine if I charged $6.50 with signature confirmation.

I can agree with that - I guess I would chalk it up as a necessary risk (not having signature confirmation) to keep shipping costs down, and assume that a minor percentage of your profit margin include future product loss.

Generally, I skip signature confirmation and insure the package for a couple bucks more on $100+ books. That way if it's damaged (but delivered), I can file a claim. I haven't had to do that yet, but I think the theory is sound.

2 things. 1) Jack up the price on your books (assuming it's not an auction) and give free shipping. 2) Always have some insurance on the book unless you're willing to eat the cost. The buyer is out the book. Doesn't matter if the USPS ate it or it got lost or delivered to the wrong address. Right now, if you were filing a claim under their insurance, I imagine the USPS would be more diligent in trying to find the book. Refund the buyer the entire amount and hope you get it back. Next time, make sure you have insurance.

As an aside, use CIA. On a book less than $200, you don't even need a signature. Just ship it priority. Can't find it? File a claim. Claim paid. Everybody's happy.

2 things. 1) Jack up the price on your books (assuming it's not an auction) and give free shipping. 2) Always have some insurance on the book unless you're willing to eat the cost. The buyer is out the book. Doesn't matter if the USPS ate it or it got lost or delivered to the wrong address. Right now, if you were filing a claim under their insurance, I imagine the USPS would be more diligent in trying to find the book. Refund the buyer the entire amount and hope you get it back. Next time, make sure you have insurance.

As an aside, use CIA. On a book less than $200, you don't even need a signature. Just ship it priority. Can't find it? File a claim. Claim paid. Everybody's happy.

What's CIA?

Have you called said internet company? If it's a couple doors down from consumer perhaps they can go there and pick up book.

Buyer also contacted post office and were told about the internet company and they seemed familiar with it. Buyer did not seem like that was an option.

What's CIA?

http://www.collectinsure.com/

I can agree with that - I guess I would chalk it up as a necessary risk (not having signature confirmation) to keep shipping costs down, and assume that a minor percentage of your profit margin include future product loss.

Generally, I skip signature confirmation and insure the package for a couple bucks more on $100+ books. That way if it's damaged (but delivered), I can file a claim. I haven't had to do that yet, but I think the theory is sound.

Sound advise. I've shipped 100s of packages and this is the first one that has ever been lost or damaged for that matter. Sucks that its a fairly high priced book - why couldn't it have been a $10 POS. I can't plead ignorance since I insure the higher ticket ones to cover myself so I knew that there was a risk on the lower priced items. I am pissed with the Philadelphia post office for not closing up this loop hole in their system after so many compaints. And add me to the list of people who find E-Bay seller coverage a complete joke.

In this case they covered you, since it must have been delivered to the same zip code as your buyer. You could tell the buyer tough and not refund anything, however since you know that the buyer did not receive it, the appropriate thing to do is refund completely.

Additionally this will likely prevent negative feedback or low DSRs, which usually is far more costly than $100 to anyone that does any volume on ebay.

As I was reading the first post I thought for sure that eBay would have sided with the buyer.

This is shocking as this rarely happens.

I guess I'm confused as how you find the seller coverage a complete joke but they sided with you - did I miss something?

I sold some headphones a couple years ago via Paypal and they were delivered but to the wrong address (same street # but different zip code). I had signature confirmation on it and insurance. Paypal sided with the buyer. I lost that case (about $600 worth of merchandise).

Are you worried about negative feedback from the buyer?

As I was reading the first post I thought for sure that eBay would have sided with the buyer.

This is shocking as this rarely happens.

I guess I'm confused as how you find the seller coverage a complete joke but they sided with you - did I miss something?

I sold some headphones a couple years ago via Paypal and they were delivered but to the wrong address (same street # but different zip code). I had signature confirmation on it and insurance. Paypal sided with the buyer. I lost that case (about $600 worth of merchandise).

Are you worried about negative feedback from the buyer?

When E-Bay made their decision they said no feedback would be allowed for this transaction so I'm not too worried about bad feedback but I am worried about doing what is "right". The buyer is a high feedback buyer/seller with 100 percent positive and I'm only a couple shy of 1000 positive without a negative so we both follow the rules well. I'll contact the post office again tomorrow and figure this out after that. What a disaster!