• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC: A Baltimore Break

3 posts in this topic

Or But Wait, There's More

My largest invoice before my most recent submissions at the NYCC was turned in at Baltimore. I cracked ten slabs from my New Mutants collection and added four raw books. These were mostly books I had signed by Sal Buscema, the others by David Finch. A few others were signed, but on a separate invoice designated to CCS. My 14 books just changed from received to verifued. The other single invoice I have marked verified went through the fast track at CCS, after a little snafu, is a single copy invoice containing ASM 181 signed by Sal.

As for the New Mutants grouping I still have at CCS from the slabs I cracked, I decided to press them as well for two reasons. The first being fear, fear that they won't maintain their grade. The other was to experiment, which I am finding is how I spend the majority of my money. Is pressing a 9.8 really necessary?

The next convention I am attending is over four months away and I hope by then all my books will be back to me. I think including alternate sources I have about sixty five books out there. A lot more than I ever expected. Although I will be attending Megacon, its counterpart a week later in Seattle is what I really hope to transfer from a blue to a yellow. Art Adams alone will garnish at least ten books from me, including my special edition already triple signed.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14455.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I think I am in the same boat when sending an already previously graded 9.8 for CCS pressing. Something about worrying someone else may not care as much about my books as I do. I think their is also this slight glimmer of hope that wants to see if this becomes the new standard in a way in order to be able to obtain higher grades (9.9's and 10's) which in my opinion would hurt what we enjoy in my honest opinion. It's odd how while I wish for a higher grade and I believe we all do I also don't want them to come back higher simply because they were pressed.

So far, in my experience, comics that were previously graded at 9.8 don't necessarily have to be pressed. I would say that the chance of a previously graded issue not maintaining its grade is about 8-10%.

That assumes, of course, that they are handled very gingerly. So there IS the chance that they could fall a grade, but it really just depends on how you plan to go about it.

For example, if you plan on getting multiple signatures between gradings, then there is no need to press it each time you re-crack for another signature. I would suggest getting all of the signatures you want, THEN press and grade it when you know you are doing it for the last time.

It also depends on how important the issue is to you. If it is a very rare copy, like 1 of 1or2 in grade, then I would definitely have it pressed before final grading, just to be more sure of retainment.

I have sent issues in for grading before just to see if they reach 9.8 so that I can know whether or not I want to even try for sigs on them later. That may be spending extra money, but if attaining SS 9.8s is the goal, then I would rather be sure of what I'm getting. I've only done this with a few issues, though. After all, if one or more signing opportunities present themselves before I submit an issue, I would rather get the sigs and then press and grade and hope for the best, like I did with a few New Mutants in Baltimore.