• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Church collection value today?

65 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this was done in another thread, but I am curious how much people here think the Church collection would be worth if it was discovered today instead of 1977 and the entire collection was appraised at today's fair market value.

I am not sure if this was done in another thread, but I am curious how much people here think the Church collection would be worth if it was discovered today instead of 1977 and the entire collection was appraised at today's fair market value.

I think it would be worth more than the market could handle. That's about the best guess I can give.

I think it would be worth more than the market could handle. That's about the best guess I can give.

I had exactly the same thought. Unless huge reserves were set on all the books and the entire collection sold to Geppi and a few others (which is probably what would happen anyway), the low prices realized if the entire collection were put up for sale COULD cause a crash in the GA market.

Perspective:

The GPA progressive value report is right now sitting at $22,000,000 (the last year's worth of reported CGC sales). With a valuation of $1,000,000 each for the Marvel #1 (Timely called it a 9.8) and the Action #1 and a valuation of just $100 each for the rest of the 20,000 books, the Church collection would match that total.

If you follow Church books, you'll know that the LOWEST PRICE YOU'LL EVER GET is around $100. That's for lower grade copies of no-name titles that no one would want if they weren't Church books.

insane.gif

Perspective:

The GPA progressive value report is right now sitting at $22,000,000 (the last year's worth of reported CGC sales). With a valuation of $1,000,000 each for the Marvel #1 (Timely called it a 9.8) and the Action #1 and a valuation of just $100 each for the rest of the 20,000 books, the Church collection would match that total.

If you follow Church books, you'll know that the LOWEST PRICE YOU'LL EVER GET is around $100. That's for lower grade copies of no-name titles that no one would want if they weren't Church books.

insane.gif

Check the math again, 20,000 x 100 = 2,000,000....not 20,000,000. But I guess that 1,000 for the remainder of the Church Books would be a fair estimate...so maybe 20 or 30 million total?

Check the math again, 20,000 x 100 = 2,000,000....not 20,000,000. But I guess that 1,000 for the remainder of the Church Books would be a fair estimate...so maybe 20 or 30 million total?

foreheadslap.gif

That's what I get for posting after the Sox game... 27_laughing.gif

$1000 is certainly closer to a fair value for the rest of the books, but my (half full of beer) gut is leaning towards it being conservative. I picture the Marvel Mystery, Captain America, Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc. runs and I'm picturing a LOT of high four, five and even six figure books. My brain hurts. I'll revisit this in the morning when it's working a little better...

Who owns this book and are there any scans of this available? Is the copy really that nice and is it an October or November print?

John Verzyl owns it (and most of the Church Timelys). Here's a little anecdote timely shared.

I am close friends with Verzyl and can tell you he does own the MH copy, but here is something he told me no one knows, except the people who were in the room when the deal was made 17 years ago.

Verzyl bought the MH from Geppi and he wanted a HUGE multiple on the book. Geppi graded the book Mint. Verzyl knew he could get the multiple down if he could find a defect somewhere on the book to complain about. He spent 40 mintues solid looking for 1 defect to find and complain about, he found no defect and had to pay full blow on it.

By the way I have a CGC 9.0 copy, it was a Fine but was restored to the 9.0 it now is,it looks great!

Timely

It's a November copy. In the same thread, Fishler says the highest grade October copy he's seen is VG/FN.

This is, by far, one heck of a good question! thumbsup2.gif

"What If" the church collection surfaced today, and not 27 years ago? What would it mean to comic collecting as we know it ?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It would be a bomb-shell ! makepoint.gif

If every book had a minimum value of $100.00 dollars,.......Not to mention the Keys in the collection, ...well, it just boogles the mind!

Only the Gaines file copies of E.C.'s would be more cherished over the Church copies, the rest would go inot a bidding frenzy.

I, like Rob React, have had a couple of well earned hops beveraages, but I'd estimate the total valueee ttooo bbbbbeeeeee ,............................burp!,...................Turn the stero down, gosh dang it,............COASTERS EVERYBODY! PUT THE DRINKS ON A,..........................................End of signal.

Please deposit .25 more for the next three minutes, please.

,....to be continued. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I did a little searching in the Heritage past auctions. The median price realized for a Mile High is around $1,000. I'm too lazy to figure out the true average but it would definitely be a lot higher. The average value of the entire collection would probably be higher yet since Heritage hasn't offered a lot of the best stuff. I think a $2,000 average market value would be in the ballpark.

My guess - $40,000,000 tongue.gif

Between 40 and 50 million sounds about right to me. Good God, I'd just hate to be Uncle Chuckles, and have to wake up every morning remembering the day I pushed those books out the door. That's a very special place in hell, folks!

One tidbit here - if the Church collection hadn't been discovered until today, would the market for back issues still be so developed? Now I know that the OS was already out and running but to my knowledge this was the biggest back issue find ever at the time and the prices realized were somewhat revoluionary. I wonder if the whole concept of multiples of guide, etc. would have taken off and become accepted to the extent that they are now if it weren't for the collection surfacing when it did,

h

why not just add up all the top Guide prices for each book and start playing with multiples??? At least 5x ought to be a good ballpark. That would put the top 3 books at about 2 million apiece.

I'd love to. It'd be fascinating. I'm not sure I'm ready to undertake that project for 20,000 books though 893whatthe.gif

I also don't have a usable copy of the original catalogue (And please no one point me towards that barely legible .gif chuck posted on his site- I want something I can print.)

There's also be a lot of guessing going on with some of the runs (some of the better runs) as they never made it into the catalogue at all...

Dam, that's a very interesting point. I think it's definitely true that the Church collection helped establish the GA market, but I'm not convinced that such a market wouldn't exist (or be as robust as it is now) if the Church books were still lying in that basement. After all, a number of other important pedigrees have since surfaced, and those collections (I'm thinking Spokane and Denver in particular) would have set the precedent if not for the Church books.

Still, the Church collection is still the best of the pedigrees, so it's influence on the back issue market can't be overlooked.

but at least, If the Church books hadnt been discovered back then, we'd never have heard of CHUCKIE except locally in Denver as a 1" notice in the Post about a homeless guy found frozen to death in his car down by the river....

but at least, If the Church books hadnt been discovered back then, we'd never have heard of CHUCKIE except locally in Denver as a 1" notice in the Post about a homeless guy found frozen to death in his car down by the river....

Aman, I know there's a lot of strong feelings about Rozanski on these boards, but I think that is over the line, man.