• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered Jim Starlin's best work?

90 posts in this topic

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. By the time of Dreadstar, I think his style changed. I prefer his 70's stuff to his 80's stuff.

Jepp - I got the Dreadstar stuff upp til Starlin stopped drawing it. His 80's stuff is however unknown territory for me ... :(

(besides 'Wyrd, the reluctant warrior'. Liked that one).

His '70s work definitely: Captain Marvel & Warlock, Avengers Annual 7, Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2, plus a few other related Marvel hero books from the same period, AND his "The Death of Captain Marvel" GN. A great artist and storyteller at the peak of his powers...

From the 70s I'd say Warlock is his best work.

From the 80s, Dreadstar. There's the Metamorphosis Odyssey which is the prequel, found in Epic Illustrated and can now be found in trade paperback. My favourite single issue/story is The Price. It was released as a single story in magazine format, and reprinted in Dreadstar Annual #1. The Metamorphosis Odyssey I feel hasn't aged as well, but I still like Dreadstar, especially the first 20 or so issues.

Stalin is also an under-rated writer. He had 3 memorable collaborations with Berni Wrightson: The Weird, Batman: The Cult, and Punisher POW, the latter maybe being the weakest. They hold up okay after all these years.

One other very under-rated series is Cosmic Odyssey, a 4 issue series with Mike Mignola doing the artwork. Hmm…I may have to crack that one out again and read it :)

One other very under-rated series is Cosmic Odyssey, a 4 issue series with Mike Mignola doing the artwork. Hmm…I may have to crack that one out again and read it :)

That's one I've been meaning to re-read myself

I read Cosmic Odyssey when it came out – it was my very first DC "modern" comic, as I never read DCs previously except Kirby’s 4th World. I quite liked it, but I think it‘s not among his best works. I also hated how

he made the Forager die. He was one of my favorite "minor" characters…

From the 70s I'd say Warlock is his best work.

From the 80s, Dreadstar. There's the Metamorphosis Odyssey which is the prequel, found in Epic Illustrated and can now be found in trade paperback. My favourite single issue/story is The Price. It was released as a single story in magazine format, and reprinted in Dreadstar Annual #1. The Metamorphosis Odyssey I feel hasn't aged as well, but I still like Dreadstar, especially the first 20 or so issues.

Stalin is also an under-rated writer. He had 3 memorable collaborations with Berni Wrightson: The Weird, Batman: The Cult, and Punisher POW, the latter maybe being the weakest. They hold up okay after all these years.

Yeah, I love how you spell him Jim 'Stalin' (not Josepeh). Lets hope J. Stalin the man dont reads this lol

Edit: thanks for the references (thumbs u

To me, it'll always be his Captain Marvel run, ending with the good Capt's death. Which really pissed me off at the time since he was one of my faves, but it was done well with dignity so I've come to let it go.

To me, it'll always be his Captain Marvel run, ending with the good Capt's death. Which really pissed me off at the time since he was one of my faves, but it was done well with dignity so I've come to let it go.

Couldn't agree more. Loved his Captain Marvel run. Beautiful art.

besides 'Warlock' and 'Infinity Gauntlett' ...?

Im considering pick up of Starlin's stuff. But what to go for?

Well, don't forget:

• Iron Man #56
  • Giant-Size Defenders #1
  • Special Marvel Edition #15, 16
  • Master of Kung-Fu #17

That run on Silver Surfer that he wrote is really entertaining. Good stuff.

Glad David brought up the Master of Kung Fu's, a lot of people forget those. Great introduction to the character, and the bookend art for the reprints in the GS Defenders I always loved.

My favorite will always be the last few issues of the Thanos saga into the Adam Warlock stuff. His style during that period brings back great memories.

My favorite will always be the last few issues of the Thanos saga into the Adam Warlock stuff. His style during that period brings back great memories.

Yes, I myself read the Warlocks as a kid (and not the earlier Captain Marvel issues) and the atmospheres on these – the whole story development – is just great.

I rank them high, together with the Steve Gerber’s run on the Son of Satan (I totally love the "Journey into Himself!" storyline). Top notch stuff!