• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old reader but newbie collector

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been reading comic books for more than 20 years. I collected comics with ups and downs during the years and I currently have around 10/12 short boxes filled with comics.

While I always stored the comics with bags and boards, I never took much care to them, I basically cared more about the reading than the collecting and storing.

I stopped buying comics one year ago, tired about the way comics are designed and published nowadays. But the passion for comics is still there and I would like to take care of the comics I have and add some great comics from the past.

Being a newbie collector, I have tons of questions. I have been reading the forum a lot to get some knowledge and to avoid bothering you guys with basic questions.

The question I have is a macro one, regarding the way I should start working on my collection.

What should be the first steps? Should I just start grading all the comics and get rid of the ones with low grade? Should I store all comics on Mylar instead of regular bags?

Basically, what should be the first steps for the newbie collector who already has many books?

Thank you so much for all your help.

P.S. If there is anyone from LA, send me a PM if you would like to meet and share our passion for comics collecting.

It all depends on the books you have. If you have a low grade af 15, hulk 1 or something I would never get rid of that. However if you have a bunch of 90s comics get rid of them all high grade or not lol the print run was crazy. Keys should be in mylars yes and as a focus collect what you like characters, investment etc....

I suggest you choose a focus. That can be either a specific title or character, or cover theme (skulls, Statue Of Liberty, dinosaurs, fish slaps, whatever).

When I first rejoined the hobby in this internet era I bought pretty much whatever was available. Now I have stacks of books I have no great interest in that take up lots of space. I've since tightened my focus to Silver and Bronze Age runs of two titles, two cover themes, and of course Keys and Semi-Keys.

But at the end of the day, whatever makes you happiest is the right answer ;)

WTTB's

You might be better off buying trade paperbacks . This is also a cheaper way to get the old stuff . You can fulfill the passion for comics and stories . You can start from the beginnings of many books.

For example if you like X-Men. Start buying the Essential Marvel trades. Its about 20 bucks per book and each book contains about 10 issues . They are easy to store . They look nice on a bookshelf . Good value and easier to deal with .

Thanks a lot for all the answers. The comics I have here in LA are all modern, mostly Marvel and some DC and independents.

As the focus, I have always been in love with Spider-Man and I would start collecting old issues of The Amazing Spider-Man. Also the Fantastic Four has been one of my favorite series.

As for all the modern comics I have here in LA (4/5 small boxes), should I just bring them to my local comic store and start from scratch my comics collection? I already know they will give me pennies :-(

You might be better off buying trade paperbacks . This is also a cheaper way to get the old stuff . You can fulfill the passion for comics and stories . You can start from the beginnings of many books.

For example if you like X-Men. Start buying the Essential Marvel trades. Its about 20 bucks per book and each book contains about 10 issues . They are easy to store . They look nice on a bookshelf . Good value and easier to deal with .

Thanks a lot for the suggestion but I enjoy the collecting very much and with TPBs it would not be the same. As I was saying in my first message, I have never been "anal" about my collection but I enjoyed bagging the comics, checking old comics on the Overstreet Price Guide, etc.

As for all the modern comics I have here in LA (4/5 small boxes), should I just bring them to my local comic store and start from scratch my comics collection? I already know they will give me pennies :-(

If you've thoroughly gone over the collection and are sure you have no hot items in there, your LCS is certainly an easy option. Take out any first appearances you might have in there just in case something goes the way of New Mutants 98 someday.

You're already aware you probably won't get much for common Moderns. That's good- now you won't go through the shock that so many newer collector's experience when they discover their books won't allow them an early retirement.

You can also donate some to children's hospitals. As long as they're appropriate for children, that is.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'll start looking into my current collection to see whether there are any interesting issues to keep and then I'll start building my serious collection :)

Hello,

I have been reading comic books for more than 20 years. I collected comics with ups and downs during the years and I currently have around 10/12 short boxes filled with comics.

While I always stored the comics with bags and boards, I never took much care to them, I basically cared more about the reading than the collecting and storing.

I stopped buying comics one year ago, tired about the way comics are designed and published nowadays. But the passion for comics is still there and I would like to take care of the comics I have and add some great comics from the past.

Being a newbie collector, I have tons of questions. I have been reading the forum a lot to get some knowledge and to avoid bothering you guys with basic questions.

The question I have is a macro one, regarding the way I should start working on my collection.

What should be the first steps? Should I just start grading all the comics and get rid of the ones with low grade? Should I store all comics on Mylar instead of regular bags?

Basically, what should be the first steps for the newbie collector who already has many books?

Thank you so much for all your help.

P.S. If there is anyone from LA, send me a PM if you would like to meet and share our passion for comics collecting.

Welcome to the boards.

First off, we all do things differently. Some guys collect low grade, some high. Some guys collect with an eye to making money and some collect for the pure love of the medium. Some build runs and some buy only keys. It's difficult to tell you how to collect or what to collect because it is so unique to each person.

Some guidelines I follow?

A comic should have enough value to deserve sending into CGC. Doesn't really make sense to spend all that money grading a $2, mid grade Dazzler - it's got to be worth well over $100.

I only use CGC when selling a significant book or buying a significant book and I want to ensure it's properly graded and all restoration is disclosed. I'm very happy to own nice, ungraded books in my collection. They take up a lot less space and I can look through them.

I store all my books in bags and boards and anything worth more than $5 goes in a mylar with a sturdy backing board.

Simply, buy what you like, keep what you like, regardless of their value. Keys are useless if you take no enjoyment from them. I'll take a run of Suicide Squad or Power of Shazam over one Rocket Racoon any day of the week.

THIS, a million times over, THIS.

1990 through 1995ish was the peak of my collecting years and lately I have been putting together runs of the Image garbage from that era, as well as Dark Horse and Vertigo titles from that era I used to love (and mostly still do)... I'm having a freakin' blast and couldn't care less that it's mostly worthless garbage and will (likely) remain so.

Plus, it's all REALLY cheap :grin:

And, welcome :hi:

Collect whatever makes you happy! WTTB! (thumbs u

+1

I have a ton of comics, but only "collect" Savage Sword of Conan, TMNT and a couple of others. Those are the only books I want to have all of and to keep in really good condition.

You can also donate some to children's hospitals. As long as they're appropriate for children, that is.

Oh dear friend, you touched one of the reasons why I stopped buying new comics. A couple of weeks ago I was informed that the young nephew of a dear friend unfortunately has brain cancer. They are doing chemo and everything but he is a little fella and he is kind of scared/sad (he is 8).

I thought, let's get a bunch of comics from my collection and let's ship them to him. He'll spend some time reading fantastic stories and maybe he'll stop thinking, even if for a second, about his problem.

It took me forever to find kid-appropriate comic books and I am not collecting crazy mess like Boys or whatever. The first pick was some Spider-Man comic book. Spidey is my hero. I started picking up the issues where Kraven comes back with his family and tries to kill Spidey...well, too gross for a kid his age. Then I tried some Batman comics but the Owl storyline (I don't remember the exact name, I mean the most recent one) is freaking scary and not appropriate. Well, I found only 30/40 comic books that I felt comfortable sending to him and I thought: "what the hell? these are comics, they are supposed to be for kids. Of course adults can enjoy them (see Harry Potter, I love it) but come on, let's focus on the ideal market for this product!".

+1

I have a ton of comics, but only "collect" Savage Sword of Conan, TMNT and a couple of others. Those are the only books I want to have all of and to keep in really good condition.

The problem for me is that it's soooooo easy to switch to "crazy collector" mood, where I think I have to buy each and every comic book to be called a real collector.

One more question for you guys.

I have already purchased a couple of CGC Amazing Spider-Man from eBay and I look forward to receiving them and post them here. These will be my first attempt to become a "professional collector" and the first step of getting rid of my current modern comics and build a good collection of silver age Spider-Man comics.

Here is the question: don't you guys want to open those slabs and flip through the pages of the comics you collect? Do you buy a CGC copy and a raw copy for each issue (maybe in lower grade, just a readable copy)?

TIA

One more question for you guys.

I have already purchased a couple of CGC Amazing Spider-Man from eBay and I look forward to receiving them and post them here. These will be my first attempt to become a "professional collector" and the first step of getting rid of my current modern comics and build a good collection of silver age Spider-Man comics.

Here is the question: don't you guys want to open those slabs and flip through the pages of the comics you collect? Do you buy a CGC copy and a raw copy for each issue (maybe in lower grade, just a readable copy)?

TIA

You are paying a premium for CGC books, so cracking the slabs is like throwing money away. However, if you want to read them- then crack them open. It goes back to the collect what you like thing.

I would suggest not buying every book in a slab. Personally, I just buy key books and am also an ASM collector. Most of my collection is raw minus issues like 14, 121, 122, 129, 238, etc. I have those issues in reprints that can be read and enjoyed.

Now of course almost all the early Ditko issues are key books and they could probably be bought and resold pretty easily in the right grade.