• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Competing on the registry

118 posts in this topic

So the registry as you know is a brilliant creation. It really drives the obsessive collector types in particular.

It seems at this point in time, if you look at many of the "popular" runs like ASM SA or Batman GA, etc. the guys at the top are not going anywhere either because they happen to have a higher grade Bats #1 worth a zillion points but barely any other books or they have absolutely insane full complete runs like that Doc Ock guy in ASM?

With all that said knowing that you could not ever take the top spot or even crack top five or top ten is it even justifiable to bother competing trying to put a 9.8 run together and blowing out your funds?

Is it better to just put a low grade run together and being at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole where you will barely get looks or just simply go raw and have a bunch more coin to put towards other focus runs.

I also noticed that a price trend in that it seems the older the slab gets the more expensive on a dollar cost average it gets for one registry point. In other words for a BA 9.8 say its worth 80 points. In many instances you will be able to purchase that for $50 or $60 lets say. But when it comes to GA or SA, often you could have a slab worth X amount of points but it fetches in terms of dollars greater than that number of points.

In the end its all about points.

Any thoughts, regrets, dilemmas, competitive stories, struggles are appreciated.

The registry is of course a fun place to show off one's collection and stories of why they collect the titles he/she are into. Also a good place keep track of your collection as a fun checklist for you to add photos of your books and to have other CGC boardies or lurkers see what you have and your progression in completely your set.

When it comes to Marvels Silver-age sets for example one guy might have the #1 X-men, Avengers, or Spider-man registry set which is cool, but most of us know the real #1 registry would be Tom Bulato Marvel CGC books but he doesn't feel like registering his books for the CGC registry. If he did that a lot of #1 would go to #2 pretty quick. See what I mean. (shrug)

Take a common set like this:

Venom: First Limited Series (Lethal Protector #1-6)

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=33899

Evil Jin has the #1 Rated set for the last 3 years.

Does he have the best Venom set known?

NO he does not.

If one of the 2 CGC 10.0 Venom #1 black error covers owners registered their book they would with just that one book over take the number one spot by a lot of points without even having to register the other issues in that mini series.

Now there are for sure some #1 sets that truly will never be over taken, but more often than not the #1 spot is only the #1 because the real owner of the better run just can't be bothered or cares to register their books.

CGC registry is fun thing to do, but I for one never take it too seriously as to make it a competition. If I have learned any thing in life is that someone is usually better than you. Except if your name is Michael Jordan and you played for the Bulls. ;)

I like the registry, just like I like the boards.

Cards, coins or comics; its a fun way to look at other collections, see whats out there, and most of all meet and trade with other people you might not have met otherwise.

This

I think the registry is pretty awesome. It’s a great way to see what other collectors have. (Although I wish more people would include scans.) It’s a good way to connect with other collectors. It’s a decent way to keep track of your collection. And sure, if you want to be competitive about it, you can. But I think most people don’t take it too seriously.

I find it strange that some folks who’ve made thousands and thousands of posts on these boards are so dismissive of the registry. It’s ok to continually comment about comic collecting, but looking at and sharing comic collections is somehow stupid?

The Registry is pretty much whatever you want to make of it.

You want to use it as a Competition to show who has te biggest , I'm sure you can find someone to measure with.

If you want to just keep track of your collection, it is better on a smart phone or tablet than any of the software out there.

Want a place to have people look at your books? It doesn't get much action as far as views go, you might be better off with Myslabbedcomics.com or posting in one of the CGC Forums.

Want a place to look through your books and see the scans when you are on a phone or tablet? The gallery is okay, but not great. I've found that having a photobucket account is better.

Want to impress people in Comics General? Folks here are generally of the opinion that collecting comics is for dorks and the Registry is for über dorks. If you actually enjoy collecting comics, try one of the other CGC Forums. Far fewer trolls and troglodytes.

I think the registry is pretty awesome. It’s a great way to see what other collectors have. (Although I wish more people would include scans.) It’s a good way to connect with other collectors. It’s a decent way to keep track of your collection. And sure, if you want to be competitive about it, you can. But I think most people don’t take it too seriously.

I find it strange that some folks who’ve made thousands and thousands of posts on these boards are so dismissive of the registry. It’s ok to continually comment about comic collecting, but looking at and sharing comic collections is somehow stupid?

I disagree, I think most people take it too seriously. Sure you'll have a lot of collectors stating it's just for the fun of it, to be be used for the reasons you mention. And I'm sure some of them really use it that way. But for so many people it's plain and simple a numbers game, trying to get a higher score than their neighbor.

I also much prefer the system at myslabbedcomics.com where you can do everything you mention but there are points awarded for a certain numeric grade. A pretty book is a pretty book no matter what number is printed on the case.

Always amazes the people who comment on what others do or like and say the likes of, it is stupid or wrong and or dorks for doing so.

(Its such an abomination that people here register their comics for personal or competitive reasons. The audacity that they actually post scans and write descriptions about their funny books on a comic site/sister site)

Some of these individuals who comment strike me as those who feel they should have received a trophy for coming in last place when the were little. Envious maybe, entitlement issues, jealousy? A chip on their shoulder from way back when?

Or simply just opinionated people, who like to voice their opinion.

We are all here because we like comics or collecting comics in some form or fashion - why comment on the forms or fashions some choose to do so?

Always amazes the people who comment on what others do or like and say the likes of, it is stupid or wrong and or dorks for doing so.

(Its such an abomination that people here register their comics for personal or competitive reasons. The audacity that they actually post scans and write descriptions about their funny books on a comic site/sister site)

Some of these individuals who comment strike me as those who feel they should have received a trophy for coming in last place when the were little. Envious maybe, entitlement issues, jealousy? A chip on their shoulder from way back when?

Or simply just opinionated people, who like to voice their opinion.

We are all here because we like comics or collecting comics in some form or fashion - why comment on the forms or fashions some choose to do so?

Soooo jealous....

You nailed it. (thumbs u

OP asked for our opinions. I gave mine. Didn't mean to strike a nerve with anyone. (shrug)