• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever been denied a purchase of 2 of the same $3 book at a LCS?

96 posts in this topic

Hey society super heroes and villains,

I wanted your guys opinion on an incident that happened to me today at Eide's Entertainment in Pittsburgh.

And how you would handle it.

First of all I just want to say, I think Eide's is a cool store, big, easy to access back issues, cool little cgc collection and non graded keys. I also enjoyed the lighting so I could easily grade books myself.

Anyway, long story short, I bring about $70 dollars worth of the following back issues to the counter.

DC comics Presents #26 7.0-7.5 (clerk said 8.0 but no way) $30

X-Force #2 7.0-8.0 $4.

X-Factor #24 7.0-8.0 $10

Web of Spiderman #118 8.0 $3.50

Web of Spiderman #119 x2 8.0, 1 was maybe 8.5 3.50 (both unbagged, missing inserts)

Web of Spiderman #120 8.0 $3,50

misc supplies. action figure holders. $6-10 or so

All of the pages are cream to offwhite due to the store being so close to the 3 rivers and all that moisture just seeps through those poorly stored books.

So after about an hour of digging through long boxes I go to checkout with my modest pile of books, I ask about a deal and get a quick "Nope"

and the clerk then asks me why I want 2 issues of Web of Spiderman 119.

And I honestly reply

"119 is the first appearance of Kaine and one of my favorite characters is Scarlet Spider."

The clerk then says in a completely condescending tone

"Oh, well Im only going to sell you 1 copy of 119. you can pick which one"

I was immediately floored. I honestly didn't know how to react.

So to not make a scene or allow stupid mindwar to ensue, I simply left and didn't buy anything. I said no thanks, I will shop elsewhere.

I didnt mind that 119 wasnt complete or bagged. I just wanted the issues for my personal collection so my son's and I can enjoy,read, and share low grade coppers together. but moreso, I just wanted to support the local comic shop! I'm a Pittsburger, I don't judge. I live a simple and fulfilling life in the city.

My question to other members of the society,

how do you handle situations where you deny or are denied purchasing a book?

As a comic book dealer, do you really care that much about mid grade coppers...?

Comic dealers do intend to sell what they put out on the floor, correct??

Im so totally confused.... please help, society!

and thanks

I may have done the same thing, but it's never happened to me before so it's tough to say. I may have picked one, and then gone back tomorrow to see what happened to it. Of course, being duplicitous, I may have just said one is for my collection, one is for my son's.

I have had that happen too and was not too happy about it.

I think if a dealer is going to have a policy like that, then they need to post a sign stating such.

Besides, what does the dealer have against making more money by selling multiples?

I don't understand why that dealer would actually care if someone bought multiples. If I were the dealer, I wouldn't care who was buying what books as long as they were buying from me.

I have had that happen too and was not too happy about it.

I think if a dealer is going to have a policy like that, then they need to post a sign stating such.

Besides, what does the dealer have against making more money by selling multiples?

I don't understand why that dealer would actually care if someone bought multiples. If I were the dealer, I wouldn't care who was buying what books as long as they were buying from me.

Yeah, no kidding! I mean, what are they trying to do...delay making money? "Put that comic back so I can sell it to someone else LATER."

OF COURSE NOT!

They are wanting you to put the book back so they can jack up the price for the next guy.

Wow. Just....wow.

+1,000

The guy should have invited you behind the counter for a hug for being willing to buy 8.0 moderns for more than 25 cents each.

I would have said (and I quote)

"This book has been sitting here for years. I'm betting I am the first person to ask about this book (ever). You could have made a $70 sale, now you get nothing. Have a nice day."

That or drop a $20 on the counter and tear the covers off both issues.

Either way works for me.

Not exactly the same, but, I once had an employee look at the comics I selected, then go through guide to 'UPDATE' grades and price to higher values. That really gave me a great experience at that shop. I was tempted to go back and ask the owner if he authorized these guys to do that, but I just let it go.

Yeah, that's pretty weird. If they were NM copies and complete I could see them wanting to discourage speculating. But nearly mid-grade incomplete copies? My LCS would be tickled pink to move both copies.

It's never happened to me before, but I think I would have asked "why not?" when told I wouldn't be allowed to purchase both. I understand not wanting to make a scene but if I'm going to be questioned why I'm buying something I think it's fair game to ask why they're taking that stance.

But like others said, if he was giving attitude I probably would have walked too. If you've got a policy fine, just enlighten me on what it is, no need to get snotty.