• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

It's not that great of a hit.

If you want some crazy running back hits, check out an Earl Campbell highlight video. Him goring Isaiah Robertson of the Rams is one of the most-watched videos in NFL history.

http://www.complexmag.ca/sports/2013/09/most-brutal-hits-in-nfl-history/earl-campbell-isiah-robertson

I think we are forgetting a recent, but classic, major hit. Granted it's NCAA not NFL, but it's still vicious.

:cry:

Did you see the quarteback juke for "the head" as it winged past ?

I think we are forgetting a recent, but classic, major hit. Granted it's NCAA not NFL, but it's still vicious.

:cry:

Did you see the quarteback juke for "the head" as it winged past ?

Only a million times.

:tonofbricks:

Back on track: :grin:

Seriously, I think any McFarlane, Perez or Bolland cover is seriously undervalued. Sure, JC will come on and say the the artist is no longer what drives the value of a book, but it does. They may not get the hype of 1st Appearances, Origins, 1st Issues in Title, etc., but to collectors, an intriging cover by a top artist is always in demand.

Case in point:

dyek.jpg

qled.jpg

gu7h.jpg

Back on track: :grin:

Seriously, I think any McFarlane, Perez or Bolland cover is seriously undervalued. Sure, JC will come on and say the the artist is no longer what drives the value of a book, but it does.

JC is right.

Now.

But collector focus changes, and you can do a hell of a lot worse than buying high quality work like this. It wouldn't be shocking to see this trend come around again.

JC is right.

Now.

But collector focus changes, and you can do a hell of a lot worse than buying high quality work like this. It wouldn't be shocking to see this trend come around again.

Exactly what I've been saying.

Prior to the sportscard meltdown and the dealer invasion of comics, Number One Issues were where the speculator money was going (which was why there were so many of them), along with "hot artists".

I can remember buying a ~86-'87 OS Guide and Thor 337 was the most expensive comic in the entire Thor (not JiM) run. And they would break out any Miller, Byrne, Adams, etc. comic, no matter what series it was from. For a long time, #1 issues and Artists ruled the roost, and even important first apps like Silver Surfer, Kingpin, Wolverine, etc., were no more than $20-$30, and anything lower on the scale (like Punisher, Thanos, etc.) were commons, and IM 55 was only broken out due to the Starlin art.

And there is no reason why those trends might not turn around again, especially if the current movie fad peters out (as it must someday) and first appearances take a huge nosedive.

JC is right.

Now.

Exactly what I've been saying.

Prior to the sportscard meltdown and the dealer invasion of comics, Number One Issues were where the speculator money was going (which was why there were so many of them), along with "hot artists".

I can remember buying a ~86-'87 OS Guide and Thor 337 was the most expensive comic in the entire Thor (not JiM) run. And they would break out any Miller, Byrne, Adams, etc. comic, no matter what series it was from. For a long time, #1 issues and Artists ruled the roost, and even important first apps like Silver Surfer, Kingpin, Wolverine, etc., were no more than $20-$30, and anything lower on the scale (like Punisher, Thanos, etc.) were commons, and IM 55 was only broken out due to the Starlin art.

And there is no reason why those trends might turn around again, especially of the current movie fad peters out (as it must someday) and first appearances take a huge nosedive.

I don't think you are going to see first appearances take a nosedive and if the current movie fad peters out the market goes with it but I wonder why there isn't enough room in this marketplace for hot artists to do well along with first appearances. Personally I would rather have a complete collection of MIgnola's published work than Thanos's first appearance but thankfully I have both! :D

I don't think you are going to see first appearances take a nosedive and if the current movie fad peters out the market goes with it

No, the "Hot First Appearances" market goes with it.

I seriously doubt that once the superhero movie fad dies out, that serious collectors will be running around blowing off their GA books or SA keys for pennies on the dollar, but a lot of this recent CA and MA activity will kill those who invested in them.