• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

I really don't see how my shipping costs scare people off, as I now have over 70 followers and more are added every week. When my customers pay for $6.50 shipping, they get a professionally packed and shipped item that arrives safely. I also charge less than 95% of the comic book sellers on eBay do. I need to be able to charge a flat fee for shipping one book so it's easier on me. It's at the lowest cost I can offer. eBay takes 65 cents of that right off the bat as well.

How many auctions do you guys run each week?

Peace,

Chip

Your high shipping costs most definitely turn away customers. Its not an argument over whether you are charging a fair price or not, its a psychological thing. You have 70 followers because you have hundreds of 99 cent auction listings on a large variety of books, so people are willing to eat the high shipping cost. The problem is that buyers don't like it when the book costs them 2 dollars and the shipping costs them three times that amount.

You would be much better off if you offset some of your advertised shipping cost into the cost of the book. Instead of starting a book at $0.99 with a $6.50 shipping charge you should try starting the book off at $2.99 or $3.99 and bring that shipping cost down to $4.50 or $3.50. It is more appealing to the customer even though the total price remains the same.

that's all i'm saying. it probably isn't rational, but it is a psychological thing about that seemingly big number that some people will feel. it's why i wound up doing my ebay stuff with "free shipping" (aka built into the price), but then again i didn't run auctions on potential $3-$8 books and was mainly doing store items. that way people made best offers on multiple items and factored in knocking $ off due to combined shipping.

that book likely sells for $9.99 if run as a "free shipping" auction i wonder?

as someone else pointed out, unfortunately it doesn't seem like ebay can give you as much flexibility on shipping formulas for auctions?

Sooooo... is shipping currently undervalued for the short term or are we looking for a long term gain? Just trying to gather information for smarter buying practices...

:signfunny:

I feel that X-Men 248 first Jim Lee needs to be added to this list, he is DC's main man now and let's face it this issue is where it all started. One of the best artists if not the best in the last 25 years and this issue should be in everyone's collection.

That's Jim Lee's first X-Men work, not his first work. It'd have more potential if Marvel hadn't systematically eroded the X-Men comic franchise over the last 20 years with a combination of poor stories and overexposure.

I thought he did a backup story in Xmen classics?

hm

Racking my brain. Coming up with nothing. May have to do some research.

Classic X-Men #39

And his first comic work:

32ZrUIo.jpg

I feel that X-Men 248 first Jim Lee needs to be added to this list, he is DC's main man now and let's face it this issue is where it all started. One of the best artists if not the best in the last 25 years and this issue should be in everyone's collection.

That's Jim Lee's first X-Men work, not his first work. It'd have more potential if Marvel hadn't systematically eroded the X-Men comic franchise over the last 20 years with a combination of poor stories and overexposure.

hm

Classic X-Men #39

32ZrUIo.jpg

A guy at last year's Boston Con had a short box full of these. They are not easy to find, I should have bought them all.

hm

Classic X-Men #39

A guy at last year's Boston Con had a short box full of these. They are not easy to find, I should have bought them all.

My LCS has one of these for fairly cheap. I may have to pick it up. There are a decent number on eBay asking $30-40, but there haven't been any recently that have sold for those prices.

hm

Classic X-Men #39

32ZrUIo.jpg

I've got one of those somewhere - didn't even know that. I love this place. :grin:

Sorry guys, but "Hot Artist" Copper Age books went out with mullets, and it's all about the "First Appearance".

If I was looking for potential breakout books, I would be assembling a list of any character remotely associated with the X-Men, and then seeing where they appeared first. I used to do that, and bought any books on the list (like NM Annual 2) I found in the bargain bins.

Harder to do now, but there must be some diamonds in the rough.

Sorry guys, but "Hot Artist" Copper Age books went out with mullets, and it's all about the "First Appearance".

Yup. It's been a long time since artists were rock stars.

I can't help but think we'll see the hot artist phenomenon again, but I sure as hell don't see any candidates at present.

If I was looking for potential breakout books, I would be assembling a list of any character remotely associated with the X-Men, and then seeing where they appeared first. I used to do that, and bought any books on the list (like NM Annual 2) I found in the bargain bins.

What's a mullet? :baiting:

Yup. It's been a long time since artists were rock stars.

I can't help but think we'll see the hot artist phenomenon again, but I sure as hell don't see any candidates at present.

That's why it's called a "cycle" . . . it's not like "hot artists" are bellbottoms. lol

Blink!

I love me some Blink!