• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

These guys don't look like "investors" to me . . . just sayin' lol

The second guys, no, since they're buying/debating Moderns off the shelf, but who knows about the first photo? I know people with *lots* of money who look exactly the same.

The second guys, no, since they're buying/debating Moderns off the shelf, but who knows about the first photo? I know people with *lots* of money who look exactly the same.

True, they just don't know how to dress and/or don't groom themselves cause comic guys don't care what they look like.

True, they just don't know how to dress and/or don't groom themselves cause comic guys don't care what they look like.

I've dressed like a bum going to local shows because it's a comic show. I wear nice ties and dress-shirts at work; I don't have to impress the dirtbag dealer I'm haggling with.

comic-2a.jpg

Or are we talkin' about these guys? :roflmao:

ComicBookFans05.jpg

*Paging creepy guy with the 'stache, you're unmarked white van is illegally parked!

comic-2a.jpg

ComicBookFans05.jpg

*Paging creepy guy with the 'stache, you're unmarked white van is illegally parked!

they all look like pedophiles

I've dressed like a bum going to local shows because it's a comic show. I wear nice ties and dress-shirts at work; I don't have to impress the dirtbag dealer I'm haggling with.

Why not wear them outside of work? (shrug)

Yeah, show me a guy who ears an expensive suit to a Con and I'll show you a guy with a massive dry cleaning bill. lol
aca5701c8b4b17c9e1db61a04777a125_zpse2925771.jpg

I think joe was asking for 'expensive'

comic-2a.jpg

ComicBookFans05.jpg

they all look like pedophiles

:popcorn:

Does anyone else think Uncanny X-Men #295 is overlooked? I believe this was Apocalypse's first appearance in the main X-title. There is a precedent: first Rogue in UXM (#158) and first Sabretooth in UXM (#212) both sell for more than surrounding issues. The downside is that the print run for #295 was probably huge.

(Full disclosure: this is the first superhero comic my parents bought for me. I have a strong attachment to this issue that could easily cloud my view of it.)

I do think some Copper-and-more-recent artists' work (especially covers) are in for an increase. I don't think the movie stuff will go away, exactly, but I do expect that it'll draw people into the hobby (especially around the world--that's what's gonna drive rising prices, international collectors) and as they get educated, they'll become familiar with iconic covers, influential artists, etc.

I've recently been trying to pick up Bolland work, Adam Hughes and (belatedly, I know) the classic Dave Stevens covers. I think some of the Bolland and Hughes covers (on Wonder Woman) especially, are going to pop in the guides out there as people realize how few there are out there that haven't already been either mangled in bins or snapped up by afficionados.

Just my speculation, of course.

I'm with jtlarsen on this one - I think the pendulum is swinging back in the artist direction, though it's a process that's only beginning...

A lot of Neal Adams covers have really popped in the past year or two, and McFarlane stuff seems to be picking up again, too. As always, it's the "classics" - Adams Batman, McFarlane Sider-man - that lead the way, but other stuff soon follows.

In part, I think this is the impact of CGC itself - if you can't read a slabbed book, the key feature becomes the cover.

Over the past couple of years, Adam Hughes, Dave Stevens and J. Scott Campbell have been getting hotter, and others are showing signs of life - including Wrightson, Bolland, Kaluta and Linsner.

It's a modern, but look at this book as a current example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111360004629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If artists get hotter, it won't eliminate other kinds of keys - but it will bump books that are currently a little "cold." Right now, I'm watching things like the Adams covers on World's Finest, or some of the Wrightson and Kaluta covers on bronze and even copper horror titles. And like jtlarsen, I'm trying to pull together complete sets of Dave Stevens and Adam Hughes...

I'm with jtlarsen on this one - I think the pendulum is swinging back in the artist direction, though it's a process that's only beginning...

A lot of Neal Adams covers have really popped in the past year or two, and McFarlane stuff seems to be picking up again, too. As always, it's the "classics" - Adams Batman, McFarlane Sider-man - that lead the way, but other stuff soon follows.

In part, I think this is the impact of CGC itself - if you can't read a slabbed book, the key feature becomes the cover.

Over the past couple of years, Adam Hughes, Dave Stevens and J. Scott Campbell have been getting hotter, and others are showing signs of life - including Wrightson, Bolland, Kaluta and Linsner.

It's a modern, but look at this book as a current example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111360004629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If artists get hotter, it won't eliminate other kinds of keys - but it will bump books that are currently a little "cold." Right now, I'm watching things like the Adams covers on World's Finest, or some of the Wrightson and Kaluta covers on bronze and even copper horror titles. And like jtlarsen, I'm trying to pull together complete sets of Dave Stevens and Adam Hughes...

:facepalm:

Why not wear them outside of work? (shrug)

Is this a serious question?

Yeah, show me a guy who ears an expensive suit to a Con and I'll show you a guy with a massive dry cleaning bill. lol
aca5701c8b4b17c9e1db61a04777a125_zpse2925771.jpg

Is this guy dealing comics, or dealing drugs?

Still looks better than 90% of the clowns I see at shows, they all wear the same thing, Comic t-shirt that is 2 sizes too big with ill fitting cargo shorts and gym sneakers.