• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

What about Detective Comics 524 ? - There is a "shadowy" appearance of Killer Croc and I wonder why it isn't more well known.

Detective 523 is the shadowy figure. After that, Killer Croc was out in the open.

Batman #387 is not Black Mask's second appearance.

Please, do tell then. The suspense is killing me. :eyeroll:

It's the crossover story strategy between Batman and Detective Comics to keep both titles rolling. So with Batman 386 (Aug-85), the next story would be Detective Comics #553 (Aug-85). Then it continues on to Batman 387 (Sep-85).

I went through this when I was collecting Killer Croc's early appearances. He cameos in Detective Comics 523 (Feb-83), continues on with a full appearance in Batman 357 (Mar-83), Then continues bouncing between issues from Detective Comics 525 (Apr-83) to Batman 358 (Apr-83), etc.

Sorry to give such a straightforward answer.

(:

I figured it was something like that, but I was too lazy to explore on my own! I just went by what the OSPG says about it being a 2-Part Introduction. (thumbs u Thanks for the details. :)

What about Detective Comics 524 ? - There is a "shadowy" appearance of Killer Croc and I wonder why it isn't more well known.

Detective 523 is the shadowy figure. After that, Killer Croc was out in the open.

I think I actually got some good coin for that shadow . . . :grin:

I wasn't the one who first valued them at $1....and the offer is for all of them.

Oooh, look at the big spender. lol

hm

Could be. If someone has 300 assorted VF or better copies of the issues mentioned, that's a pretty good sale of books that "no one wants."

Overlooked and Undervalued:

X-Factor #9-11

New Mutants #46

Thor #373-374

Power Pack #27

Why?

They are all Mutant Massacre crossovers, and while X-Men #210-213 carry a substantial premium over surrounding issues, these books can be had for little to nothing.

It is was also one of the first (along with the Asgardian War of the year before) of the "titled crossovers" in comics, which have since become standard.

Age of Apocalypse

Beginning with the Legion Quest, which sets off the AOA, I'm not seeing any sort of love for these runs.

Legion Quest - X-Men #40, 41, Uncanny X-Men #320, 321.

X-Men Alpha, Omega, Prime.

Generation Next #1-4

Astonishing X-Men #1-4

X-Calibre #1-4

Gambit and the X-Ternals #1-4

Weapon X #1-4

Amazing X-Men #1-4

Factor X #1-4

X-Man #1-4

X-Men Chronicles #1-2

Plus some peripheral books, like "Tales from the Age of Apocalypse", etc.

A nice, self-contained story, and the first real focus on Apocalypse as a main villain throughout the X-Universe.

Apocalypse: The Twelve/Ages of Apocalypse

A late 1999/early 2000 series, when print runs were as low as they ever got, I don't know why these books don't have more love. They include some extremely difficult variants, and the books themselves are quite tough, and ALWAYS missing from dealer boxes.

Uncanny X-Men #375-378

Wolverine #145-148

X-Men #95-98

Astonishing X-Men #1-3

Cable #75-77

A late 1999/early 2000 series, when print runs were as low as they ever got, I don't know why these books don't have more love. They include some extremely difficult variants, and the books themselves are quite tough, and ALWAYS missing from dealer boxes.

Uncanny X-Men #375-378

Wolverine #145-148

X-Men #95-98

Astonishing X-Men #1-3

Cable #75-77

These are starting to see some action.

Uncanny X-Men #375-378

Wolverine #145-148

X-Men #95-98

Astonishing X-Men #1-3

Cable #75-77

It's not like these are extremely undervalued books, though. Except, of course, in the Annual Big Book of Unrealistic Values.

Don't forget X-Men: The Search for Cyclops 1-4, which deals with the aftermath of Apocalypse's machinations.

Age of Apocalypse

Beginning with the Legion Quest, which sets off the AOA, I'm not seeing any sort of love for these runs.

Legion Quest - X-Men #40, 41, Uncanny X-Men #320, 321.

X-Men Alpha, Omega, Prime.

Generation Next #1-4

Astonishing X-Men #1-4

X-Calibre #1-4

Gambit and the X-Ternals #1-4

Weapon X #1-4

Amazing X-Men #1-4

Factor X #1-4

X-Man #1-4

X-Men Chronicles #1-2

Plus some peripheral books, like "Tales from the Age of Apocalypse", etc.

A nice, self-contained story, and the first real focus on Apocalypse as a main villain throughout the X-Universe.

sells decently as a full set? lots of pieces though. in tpb form? might that dull the interest? i enjoyed reading it. not particularly low printed, but not 1991 print-runs either.

one of these days it will get hot when they do a return to the age apocolypse (or do it for the 4th time if it has already been done before)

Uncanny X-Men #375-378

Wolverine #145-148

X-Men #95-98

Astonishing X-Men #1-3

Cable #75-77

It's not like these are extremely undervalued books, though. Except, of course, in the Annual Big Book of Unrealistic Values.

Don't forget X-Men: The Search for Cyclops 1-4, which deals with the aftermath of Apocalypse's machinations.

These books used to sell for good coin online a few years back, the Wolverine issues especially. I cleaned out all of the copies I could find at LCSs, and still buy them now for cheap when I can find them.

Uncanny X-Men #375-378

Wolverine #145-148

X-Men #95-98

Astonishing X-Men #1-3

Cable #75-77

These books used to sell for good coin online a few years back, the Wolverine issues especially. I cleaned out all of the copies I could find at LCSs, and still buy them now for cheap when I can find them.

Some of them are doing well now (likely because of Apocalypse).

The earlier issues in the run do much better than the last (like Wolverine 146 sells better than 148).

Astonishing X-men likely gets lost because they used the same name on other titles.

The variants are still pretty desirable. I remember buying them off the shelves like it was yesterday.

Patrick

Purely speculation:

It would make sense for Punisher to show up in the NetFlix Daredevil TV series at some point which might make those Punisher LS issues (among others) heat up again.

I just want DD #182-184 to be $20 books again.

:whee:

Not that I have a few or anything....

Purely speculation:

It would make sense for Punisher to show up in the NetFlix Daredevil TV series at some point which might make those Punisher LS issues (among others) heat up again.

lol Me too buddy.

Purely speculation:

lol Me too buddy.

some raw 181s have sold for $35-40 recently. that is pretty exciting. i might have a "few" of those.

Edited by the blob

Purely speculation:

lol Me too buddy.

some raw 181s have sold for $35-40 recently. that is pretty exciting. i might have a "few" of those.

Those last Miller art books were some of his best! I'm always picking up 182-184, and 191s when I find them

I'm starting to think that a lot of the McFarlane Spideys are currently in the category of undervalued. I've been seeing them in bargain boxes more and more. I pulled a few out of a 3/$1 box at a little convention yesterday (a 307, 313, and a couple of the later ones).

The dealer I bought them from runs a LCS around here. I asked him about it, and he said that he had so much of that stuff that he just needed to get rid of some of it.

These were books I felt were wildly overvalued when they originally got hot, but now I'm finding a fair number of them in $1-$2 boxes around here. I'm generally not one to buy books purely for resale (my wife and I call it buying a chore), but at 3/$1 I couldn't help myself.