• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Most Important Punisher Books to own?

91 posts in this topic

Here' my list as rated by importance.

1. ASM 129 1st appearance

2. ASM 135 2nd full appearance

3. Giant Size Spider-Man # 3 3rd appearance

4. Marvel Preview # 2 origin

5. Punisher # 1 LS :cloud9:

6. Marvel Super Action # 1 origin

7. ASM # 162 1st Jigsaw. Not a big Jigsaw fan, but It’s his big villain. Can’t rate Kingpin, more of a Spidey key, less of a DD key and even less of a Punisher key.

8. Punisher # 1 (1990)1st ongoing

9. ASM # 134 2nd appearance cameo

10. Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe 1st Garth Ennis Punisher – Classic, 1st "Kills the Universe", Ennis would revamp the Punisher from dead property to ultra successful.

Great list, but Giant Size Spider-Man #4 is the 3rd appearance.

little to no money in any punisher book except ASM129 (shrug)

overall a bad character to invest in

ASM 129 is one of the most asked about comics at every comic convention.

It is a toss up between Hulk 181, ASM 300, and ASM 129 what customers ask about the most.

I have never disagreed with someone's post in 2013 more so than what you just posted.

Plus who said anything about investing?

It is a toss up between Hulk 181, ASM 300, and ASM 129 what customers ask about the most.

I have never disagreed with someone's post in 2013 more so than what you just posted.

It sounds like you misunderstood him. He said ASM #129 is the ONLY Punisher book worth investing in.

I'm not so sure I agree with that, but I have no interest in a character that runs around with a gun and a chip on his shoulder. Ironically, I own more than 50% of the comics listed here and I think the character is lame.

DG

Then I have two questions:

Why are you posting in this thread?

Why do you own more than 50% of the books listed?

I do have interest in a character that does exactly what you dislike. I wish this country had more vigilante justice.

This is harder than I thought.

I think most of the list suggestions are spot-on, but reflect much of the board bias (demographics) of ignoring the key Punisher stories of the last 15 years.

But I reject the notion that "key to own" vs. "can own just as well in trades." We're collectors--which means the goal is to own the original books.

For me, from a pure investment perspective,yeah, there are only about 5 Punisher keys worth more than $100. But, for example, Punisher Limited 2-5 are nearly as "important" as Limited 1 to own if you're a Punisher collector.

For being such a one-dimensional character, he's actually developed a rich lore over the last 40 years. And out of his hundreds of appearances, there a solid 50 I think one needs to capture all the best stories.

One not-yet-mentioned example is Punisher 10/Daredevil 257--the first time I'd ever encountered the same story told twice, but from two different characters' perspectives. Valiant's Unity was a grand example of this, but to encounter it 4 years earlier was really cool.

3. Giant Size Spider-Man # 4 3rd appearance

7. ASM # 162 1st Jigsaw. Not a big Jigsaw fan, but It’s his big villain. Can’t rate Kingpin, more of a Spidey key, less of a DD key and even less of a Punisher key.

10. Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe 1st Garth Ennis Punisher – Classic, 1st "Kills the Universe", Ennis would revamp the Punisher from dead property to ultra successful.

Great list, but Giant Size Spider-Man #4 is the 3rd appearance.

Thanks for the catch. I fixed my original post.

3. Giant Size Spider-Man # 4 3rd appearance

Just add Space Punisher and we good.

e71d3f9eaa7ff281cc74a4ee940fb883_zpsdf761470.jpg

I essentially agree with the lists that have been presented before, but since collecting Punisher art has been one of my main areas of collecting focus for the last 27 years, I thought I'd weigh in with my 2 cents. I'll keep it to 10 actual books as opposed to storylines. My opinion may also somewhat skewed as I am of the belief that (for the most part), the character started to become watered down and move away from his roots after the mini-series.

1. Punisher LS #1 - This is the series that started the craze. People wouldn't have cared so much about ASM #129 if this book hadn't come out. Fantastic cover, every page of the interior art is perfect, and it's a great standalone story which tees up the Punisher's return.

2. ASM #129 - Of course important as the first appearance and great cover - from the start, you can see the conflict within the Punisher's psyche. You don't need to make much of a case for this one.

3. Marvel Preview #2 - These B&W books explored the darker origin of the character and allowed Marvel to show the real damage that the Punisher could inflict. Also, there's an interview with the original creator of the "Executioner" (which inspired the character) in this book

4. Punisher: Return to Big Nothing - Start with the cover... a classic by Zeck and Zimelman! In my opinion, it was hard for Grant and Zeck to top the story in Punisher #1, but this heralded their return to the character. Even though the Punisher had been diluted for a couple years of making appearances in every book, this brought the character back to his roots.

5. Punisher LS #3 - As mentioned before, the entire mini-series should get a nod as the turning point for the character, but I'm singling out this issue as one to own because of the cover - probably the most classic standalone image of the Punisher ever created.

6. Punisher #1 (Vol. 3) - Amazing cover by Tim Bradstreet (the original banned version was even better) and key to transitioning the Punisher to his new look that would inspire the Tom Jane Punisher movie (the best of the three movies in my opinion).

7. Marvel Super Action #1 - Telling the story of the very first War Journal entry. Even though Marvel Preview #2 was the first solo Punisher, this was a better story (with the Punisher going after the mobsters that killed his family). And the cover by Bob Larkin is top notch! The fact that the comics code didn't apply to magazines was obvious when they showed the Punisher blowing off the head of one of the mobsters. Ground breaking! Also, part 2 explaining the original inspiration based on the "Executioner."

8. ASM #162 - To me a lot of the appearances in Spider-man after the first one didn't stand out from a story perspective. All worthwhile to own if you're a Punisher fan, but hey, I have to keep this list to 10 books. I'll agree with a previous poster who noted that Jigsaw seems to stand out as his #1 nemesis so I'll throw this into the list. I also am a big X-Men fan so worth owning this early x-over.

9. DD #183 - I think Miller must be mentioned as an important part of the Punisher's early evolution. Great cover and the culmination of his battle with DD.

10. PPSM #82 - This book was the first one that made me take notice of the character. In this story, the Punisher starts shooting Jaywalkers - showing the something just isn't right with this guy. This book is key in transitioning from the original Punisher concept to the Grant/Zeck mini-series.

That's my list!

you misunderstood me i only meant that 129 is the only book with value.

your top ten list is great of reading no doubt to a punisher fan.

i should have not equated value to a top ten reading essential list.

I love Punisher I'm steadily working on the largest 129 collection in the world. I am thinking i will post it by summer 2014

I love Punisher I'm steadily working on the largest 129 collection in the world. I am thinking i will post it by summer 2014

Punisher Limited Series 1-5, Marvel Preview #2 have good value. (shrug)

I essentially agree with the lists that have been presented before, but since collecting Punisher art has been one of my main areas of collecting focus for the last 27 years, I thought I'd weigh in with my 2 cents. I'll keep it to 10 actual books as opposed to storylines. My opinion may also somewhat skewed as I am of the belief that (for the most part), the character started to become watered down and move away from his roots after the mini-series.

1. Punisher LS #1 - This is the series that started the craze. People wouldn't have cared so much about ASM #129 if this book hadn't come out. Fantastic cover, every page of the interior art is perfect, and it's a great standalone story which tees up the Punisher's return.

2. ASM #129 - Of course important as the first appearance and great cover - from the start, you can see the conflict within the Punisher's psyche. You don't need to make much of a case for this one.

3. Marvel Preview #2 - These B&W books explored the darker origin of the character and allowed Marvel to show the real damage that the Punisher could inflict. Also, there's an interview with the original creator of the "Executioner" (which inspired the character) in this book

4. Punisher: Return to Big Nothing - Start with the cover... a classic by Zeck and Zimelman! In my opinion, it was hard for Grant and Zeck to top the story in Punisher #1, but this heralded their return to the character. Even though the Punisher had been diluted for a couple years of making appearances in every book, this brought the character back to his roots.

5. Punisher #3 LS - As mentioned before, the entire mini-series should get a nod as the turning point for the character, but I'm singling out this issue as one to own because of the cover - probably the most classic standalone image of the Punisher ever created.

6. Punisher #1 (Vol. 3) - Amazing cover by Tim Bradstreet *the original banned version was even better) and key to transitioning the Punisher to his new look that would inspire the Tom Jane Punisher movie (the best of the three movies in my opinion).

7. Marvel Super Action #1 - Telling the story of the very first War Journal entry. Even though Marvel Preview #2 was the first solo Punisher, this was a better story (with the Punisher going after the mobsters that killed his family). And the cover by Bob Larkin is top notch! The fact that the comics code didn't apply to magazines was obvious when they showed the Punisher blowing off the head of one of the mobsters. Ground breaking! Also, part 2 explaining the original inspiration based on the "Executioner."

8. ASM #162 - To me a lot of the appearances in Spider-man after the first one didn't stand out from a story perspective. All worthwhile to own if you're a Punisher fan, but hey, I have to keep this list to 10 books. I'll agree with a previous poster who noted that Jigsaw seems to stand out as his #1 nemesis so I'll throw this into the list. I also am a big X-Men fan so worth owning this early x-over.

9. DD #183 - I think Miller must be mentioned as an important part of the Punisher's early evolution. Great cover and the culmination of his battle with DD.

10. PPSM #82 - This book was the first one that made me take notice of the character. In this story, the Punisher starts shooting Jaywalkers - showing the something just isn't right with this guy. This book is key in transitioning from the original Punisher concept to the Grant/Zeck mini-series.

That's my list!

(thumbs u (Quoted for ease of future reference.)

U are right I guess im thinking 3 digit prices...

Hey I also enjoyed Sleepwalker and Darkhawk and those are dollar bin babies all day lol

Hey I also enjoyed Sleepwalker and Darkhawk and those are dollar bin babies all day lol

I fail to see your point.

I fail to see your point.

im sorry you fail