• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Most Important Punisher Books to own?

91 posts in this topic

1. Asm 129 first appearance of the character

2. Marvel preview 2

3. Asm 135

4. Marvel super action 2

5. Punisher limited series 1

6. Giant Asm 4

7. Punisher kills the marvel U

8. The punisher 1 1987 1st unlimited

9. Return to big nothing

10. Asm 163 first jigsaw

ASM 201-202 were favorites of mine for a long time. Despite the pink colored target on 201 the cover looked awesome to me. And 202 in 9.8 is surprsingly hard to find and comes with a ridiculous premium. I saw one auction hammer at 1100 in the last year or two.

I have started the task of reading all the Punisher stories up through his first mini. I have to say after reading Giant-Size Spider-Man 4 that book has to be in the top 10. Forget about it being the 3rd appearance. It's the first time he kills someone. Not only that but it was a clear cut intentional fatal head shot with a sniper rifle. How often did you see that in super hero books back then? That really set the tone of the character to emerge as a mass killing machine come the grittier 1980's. I was actually shocked to see him kill someone with a gun so early on in a comics code approved super hero comic book.

The original art to that classic cover is currently on display at the Cartoon Art Museum through August 10th along with most of Mike Zeck's key Punisher art from the 80's.

Zeck_Secret_Wars_Covers_zps8044bc12.jpg

More here in this thread for those Punisher fans that are interested:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7585930#Post7585930

I really like the Jim Lee War Journals with wolverine. 4 and 5? or 5 and 6? great covers.