• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help me understand these Avengers prices

24 posts in this topic

Here are three Avengers books for sale on Pedigree right now. Please help me understand why the last one (#111) which came out 7 years later and is solidly Bronze Age is now selling for or worth almost the same amount as the #35 ? As you see they are alll in 9.4.

Is 111 a BA key? Are the Don Heck mid 60s copies just not desirable? Or BA that hot? Like so many prices lately, it sems out of balance...

Im just want to understand why, Im not criticizing Doug or the seller here. For all I know 111 may the first "xxxMan" appearance and is undervalued!!

617939-Picture-4.jpg

617939-Picture-4.jpg.6dc8c4b24ffe4ac4b577d7dd1c41c925.jpg

I don't collect Avengers, but I collect Magneto crossovers, and since he appeared in #110 and #111, I've been trying to get those. I haven't been able to get a nice copy of #111 yet, and I really don't see them all that often.

I don't collect Avengers, but I collect Magneto crossovers, and since he appeared in #110 and #111, I've been trying to get those. I haven't been able to get a nice copy of #111 yet, and I really don't see them all that often.

There have been at least a few 9.4's on Ebay, and a couple of 9.6's. This price is high for a 9.6, let alone a 9.4. Plus, it isn't hard to find decent raw copies.

You think the Heck issues have lower demand too, making their prices more or less equal?

I would think that the demand for issues 26-48 is considerably lower than it would be if one of the other Marvel artists had been doing the book. I'm a pretty avid Avengers collector but my interests do not include those books.

You think the Heck issues have lower demand too, making their prices more or less equal?

I would think that the demand for issues 26-48 is considerably lower than it would be if one of the other Marvel artists had been doing the book. I'm a pretty avid Avengers collector but my interests do not include those books.

John Buscema's first Avengers stint started toward the end of that set. #35 is the ish where Roy Thomas took over the writing chores for good from Stan Lee, IIRC. There were some nice Silver Age stories in that run.

I agree those issues aren't my favorite. I always thought the series became more enjoyable after issue 57 (intro Vision) storyline. I consider those issues the cream of the Silver Age Avengers with the intro of the Invaders, Squadron Sinister, etc.

I agree those issues aren't my favorite. I always thought the series became more enjoyable after issue 57 (intro Vision) storyline. I consider those issues the cream of the Silver Age Avengers with the intro of the Invaders, Squadron Sinister, etc.

Yeah, me too except for me the resurgence started with #51 which is one of my favorite Buscema covers.

I'm starting to see higher prices on BA compared to SA. It's my opinion that these mid 60's books have been the most submitted to CGC as:

1) many collectors have some

2) it makes some sense (but not as much anymore) to have these books grade if 9.0 or above

Therefore, people assume (and I believe incorrectly) that these early BA books are harder to come by in high-grade.

I disagree because:

1) Many BA books before 1975 aren't worth grading unless they are truly 9.4 or above, because they can't get the Modern tier grading price

2) Lots of collectors have these books but aren't sure if they are worth grading.

I pretty sure that over the next year or two (maybe sooner), you will see a flood of these early BA books being submitted (especially if people see higher and higher prices).

I pretty sure that over the next year or two (maybe sooner), you will see a flood of these early BA books being submitted (especially if people see higher and higher prices).

That's true, and I believe a lot of people are concerned about paying $15 for a 1975 or newer grade, let alone $29 for older Bronze.

I got a Avengers 105 which has "only" 2 cgc 9.4's and 2 9.6's in the census. The #110 is a classic Gil Kane Magneto cover. #116, #117, #118 are the Defender vs. Avengers books, and they will go for as much as the Avenger #35. Buckler also had some cool covers.

I was never really a Heck fan. He was the in-betweener between Kirby and the Buscema Brothers. Kane did the covers for #37 and #38 and it really shows.

The Avengers books really took off for me starting with issue #52-#60. (first appearance of Grim Reaper, first ultron, first vision, bucky's death retold, first yellow jacket, yellow jacket and wasp wedding)

There have been numerous "warehouse" finds that included

unread copies of all the mid-run Avengers,so that they appear to be fairly common in HG. The 20 cent books have not turned up in abundence and there are few slabbed,giving it the appearence of scarcity.If a few books sell at these prices,I'm sure many more will be sent in for slabbing/sale.As a long time Avenger collector I'll say that it is much easier to find nice 60s Avengers than the early 70s.There seem to be many more people looking for the later issues than the earlier ones.

I was never really a Heck fan. He was the in-betweener between Kirby and the Buscema Brothers. Kane did the covers for #37 and #38 and it really shows.

Let's not forget Heck did some Bronze Avengers issues too. INCLUDING 110 & 111. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm starting to see higher prices on BA compared to SA. It's my opinion that these mid 60's books have been the most submitted to CGC as:

1) many collectors have some

2) it makes some sense (but not as much anymore) to have these books grade if 9.0 or above

And I'd add 3) These Avengers were found in NM in bulk as part the MH2 find.

Jim

#35 is the first Roy Thomas issue (also has a fan letter by Dave Cockrum). It's not impossible to find in high grade but that red cover does tend to show the slightest damage very easily. $225 is not a crazy price for a true 9.4.

#104 -- $125 is a little wacky but not insane giving the prices some fools are willing to pay for a 9.4 label.

#111 -- ok, $225 is crazy. #110 and #111 are relatively tough to find in high grade. In fact #110 was the last non-variant issue I needed to complete my set. It took several months of looking in shops, cons and online to even find a VF/NM copy.