• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Imaginary World

16 posts in this topic

Or, Where do I go from here?

I have always thrust myself into the Marvel Universe with trust and anticipation. In my youth I did this with financial abandon. Now that I am older I am more apt to stop reading a title if I feel that it is not going anywhere. One of those titles I'm giving a last shot at today, but what happens if a title one is collecting is being collected in a CGC 9.8?

With my New Mutants collection coming to a close I have started a couple other series like Kazar the Savage, the Thing, and Locke and Key. The problem now is how to get rid of them. I bought them because I wanted them at the time and now I don't. I won't sell them for any less than what I bought them for, but this still hinders because I bought them when I craved them rather than thinking the whole thing through.

So I have asked what next? What should I collect? What series will garnish my attention? Could I sell all the old and start anew? Should I not finish my Secret Wars? Or complete my Longshot series with signatures? And what about the New Mutants mediocre attempt that is known as volume three? Honestly I think Marvel just gave up.

I have an idea of what to collect next, but I won't jump into the fray yet. I might even make a challenge of it. Maybe even challenge you to guess, what's next?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14493.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

The first thing I thought of when I saw you mention Ka-Zar the Savage was the first appearance of Belasco in #11, who (for those unfortunate few who are not as well-versed in New Mutants Vol 1) played a quintessential role in the development of Illyana into the character we know. Another excellent issue to have in a New Mutants ancillary set.

Otherwise, I know the feeling. I have lots of comics, and several slabs, that I bought either because I wanted them at the time but don't now, or got a good deal at the time but would rather not have them taking up space at this point. I got a Longshot 1 CGC 9.0 for only $14 in about 2005, but today I'd rather have the $14 to put toward a copy that more closely aligns with my goals.

Tnerb,

First idea I had about your wish to not sell for lower but yet to continue to reacquire was to check out the Signature Series Trade Thread October 25-27 2013 section of in the Signature Series forum. Could possibly score something really cool for something cool but yet not quite up your alley. Nothing really lost and something new to gain...

As for the

And what about the New Mutants mediocre attempt that is known as volume three?

I think for the exception of the events in Second Coming, Marvel really let this one go. It almost came to a ummmm, so what now? I was really thinking they were Going to change Wolverine and the X-Men into the next New Mutants title and center more around the students and their adventures with Wolverine taking a Professor X approach in a title but that really hasn't been the case.

In my opinion, pick up that last Magik #3, and maybe even cross over to her second series and then look at visually what you like about the New Mutants Vol. 3's. Oh and while I don't honestly want you to as I am making headway of my own, but maybe upgrade your Liefeld Set to SS....Although a part of me being 64 shy points away from getting third in that Set is hoping you leave it alone...

There are many many options available to you for a new set to collect.

Some are even sets that I have been working on for years now, being that you and I have very similar copper age tastes.

But whatever you decide to start on, I know you will throw yourself into it with abandon! You sure did with the New Mutants once you began to focus on it. You surpassed my ranking in just over a year!!

Luckily, I have the top spot back, but even now I have to stay on top of it, or you just might squeak past me again. :)

By the way, I now have every single remaining issue from the New Mutants Liefeld set currently being regraded after being signed, so in the next few months, they should (hopefully) all come back along with the two #95 2nd prints I'm having done for you and me.

This should vault me back to #1 in that set as well. Sorry big brother. :(

I am still trying to finish up my Dazzler, Booster Gold, Marvel Fanfare and Marvel Graphic Novel sets. Thank you for helping me with that last one by the way! I can't wait to see what the two MGNs you gave me in Baltimore come back as!!!

:applause:

By the way, I now have every single remaining issue from the New Mutants Liefeld set currently being regraded after being signed, so in the next few months, they should (hopefully) all come back along with the two #95 2nd prints I'm having done for you and me.

Yep trying for the same as we speak and even thinking about losing my "Got Damn Mind" as my Drill Sergeant once said and go for that 9.9 #87 on comiclink. Can't say I'm not his number one fan if I don't have his highest ever graded appearance. But I'll wait to see what I get from a squished signed copy from Liefeld first before jumping the gun.

Gotta say, can't be the top X-Force guy, if I can't at least try for the top spot in that one.

Hmmm.... Now that I've just purchased those 2 MGN's, I'm inclined to go for more!!!! Isn't that how it typically happens...?!?!?!

What about collecting something other than a title run? What about an artist? Or... 1st App? there's a few sets out there that are other than title runs... Having read your journals for a few years now, I almost find it offensive that you are not going after the other volumes of New Mutants!!!!

As far as selling off, just list it for sale somewhere, you never know when that certain someone will be looking for the book you don't want... & sometimes... it's better to take the loss and move on... There's no price you can put on a mind at ease.

I'm not all that interested in the later volumes of New Mutants either, but unlike me, Tnerb actually has purchased issues from the later runs.

One set I will definitely work at putting together is not on the registry yet. I have requested the set to be created, and it is in line to be done. But it will be a while. Many of the issues in the set aren't even part of the registry yet, so there will be a lot of from-scratch creation to establish the set.

Their are currently 149 other set requests in front of it, but I have been assured that it WILL be created! I have given Nicole an extensive list of over 340 issues for the set!!!

What set is this, you may ask?

Bill Sienkiewicz cover set!!

That's right. Every single comic book where Bill was involved in the creation of the cover! There would be countless other issues where Bill did art in the issue but not the cover, but this set focuses on strictly the covers.

I have already begun acquiring other issues from sets that I normally wouldn't, except that now they will be part of this set once Nicole is done!

I want to wait before I delve into the EC books. They are somewhat out of my range even if I were to sell my collection.

As for the Volume three of the New Mutants I do have three at CGC right now. I will most likely continue to add to that set, but I have a desire for something new. I do have an idea and might challenge anyone to guess what my next title/grouping/set will be