• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS #11 FOR SALE - SPIDER-MAN APPEARANCE

45 posts in this topic

What's the grade? confused.gif Your scan is 4 times too small for us to come anywhere close to determining it on our own. crazy.gif

You mean the above scan, too small? I bought it as a 9.0 from a major dealer last year. Given what I have seen in the grading contest my guess is that this would be in the 8.0's but hey what do I know. I was hesitant to put a grade on it because basically I would just be guessing. Its probably safe to say its "high grade". PM me if you are interested.

Pretty uncool showing a small scan and say "all defect can be seen in the scan". 893naughty-thumb.gif

I believe this is the one that you showed in the grading forum correct?

Large Scan

Very dissappointed. You seem to be learning the habits of most eBayers and dealers.

confused.gif

was hesitant to put a grade on it because basically I would just be guessing.

Feel free to make a guess. We all do. grin.gif

Pretty uncool showing a small scan and say "all defect can be seen in the scan". 893naughty-thumb.gif

I was thinking the same thing. You need Heritage-sized scans to make much of a determination about grade.

I am interested in an Avengers 11 in the 9.0 range and am interested in figuring out what defects are on this copy...

I am interested in an Avengers 11 in the 9.0 range and am interested in figuring out what defects are on this copy...

Ah, found the thread in the grading forum about this copy. All those pressure creases on the front cover drop it a bit below the grade I'm looking for.

I believe this is the one that you showed in the grading forum correct?

Large Scan

Very dissappointed. You seem to be learning the habits of most eBayers and dealers.

confused.gif

was hesitant to put a grade on it because basically I would just be guessing.

Feel free to make a guess. We all do. grin.gif

Honestly I downloaded the same scan that I used above and even used the "super-sized" option when listing this item on EBay. I'm little disppointed that you came down on me so hard for this without the benefit of the doubt because I don't play that way. I guess if I was trying to hide or pump this up I could have said in the write up that I bought this as a 9.0 off of a major dealer and just leave it at that, or not even post it on these boards. I choose not to post a grade but have offerred to provide details of the book and a very conservative estimation of the grade to anyone that has bothered to PM me. I have also disclosed that this was showcased in the grading section and have has asked people to see for themselves. mad.gif

Honestly I downloaded the same scan that I used above and even used the "super-sized" option when listing this item on EBay.

It's not super-sized enough, though...72 dpi just isn't high enough resolution to come anywhere CLOSE to being able to find defects from a scan. 300 dpi is a bit more reasonable, but even then, there are a LOT of defects you can't see in a scan.

People's failure to understand this is why I rarely participate in the "grade this book!" threads in the grading forum. I used to suggest the only realistic way to grade scans (high res accompanied by a detailed list of defects) in the grading forum OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER back when they first created it, but people just didn't get it...it seems that you have to keep repeatedly communicating it in almost every thread, and even then, people still don't seem to believe or understand it. Christo_pull_hair.gifcrazy.gif

Ah, found the thread in the grading forum about this copy. All those pressure creases on the front cover drop it a bit below the grade I'm looking for.

Feel free to trash the book and me some more if you wish. frustrated.gif If there wasn't a bid already I would have amended the listing. Maybe next time if you have some concerns (or interest) you could PM me instead.

I'm coming down hard on you, because the scan size on eBay (even enlarged), doesn't nearly show all the defects.

I agree that the book is a tough book to grade with those pressure creases. But if you really wanted to be honest with the eBay buyers, you would AT LEAST mention that in your description. Or you could have shown the large scan that you showed the forum members.

I know the pain of buying seriously overgraded books (that's why I buy almost exclusively CGC), but either show a very large scan, give the book a grade or describe all defects. On your eBay listing you did NONE OF THE ABOVE.

893whatthe.gif

I will be happy to send bigger scans to anyone who asks, maybe I should have included that in the write up but its too late now so sorry. Honestly when I first downloaded it I thought the super sized option wouldn't be necessary but after I previewed it I felt it needed to be enlarged so I just amended it and submitted the item (seemed to work fine with my ASM#98?). I have sold only one book on EBay as you can see from my feedback so I'll take this as a learning experience, I just didn't like my integrity being questioned.

Honestly I downloaded the same scan that I used above and even used the "super-sized" option when listing this item on EBay.

It's not super-sized enough, though...72 dpi just isn't high enough resolution to come anywhere CLOSE to being able to find defects from a scan. 300 dpi is a bit more reasonable, but even then, there are a LOT of defects you can't see in a scan.

People's failure to understand this is why I rarely participate in the "grade this book!" threads in the grading forum. I used to suggest the only realistic way to grade scans (high res accompanied by a detailed list of defects) in the grading forum OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER back when they first created it, but people just didn't get it...it seems that you have to keep repeatedly communicating it in almost every thread, and even then, people still don't seem to believe or understand it. Christo_pull_hair.gifcrazy.gif

Actually, if you're using ebay's picture service (even supersize), it doesn't matter what resolution you start with, after ebay shrinks them down they're basically worthless for determining grade. You don't need 300 dpi though to be able to see what a scan will tell you about a book (i.e. a non-color breaking crease isn't going to show up on any scan), 100 dpi is sufficient unless you're trying to distinguish between a 9.8/9.9/10.0, in which case scans can't really tell you anyhing, not to mention it's a bit of a crapshoot in those grades anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

We fully expect your participation in the next individual grading contest, complete with high-res scans and identification of "unseen" defects of course! thumbsup2.gif

To get a bigger scan on eBay, you need to submit your own image from a webhosting site like photobucket.com.

You should still try to grade the book in a listing. I say this simply because it's more honest. If you think the book is an 8.5 (VF+) and I won the book and thought it was a 7.5 (VF-), then we would have an honest disagreement. By saying HIGH-GRADE, who knows if that means any book above FN. There is no standard definition of high grade.

Just trying to help.

Appreciate the help. I pulled the image from Photobucket but then on to my computer because it was easier to download on to EBay (first mistake). I graded my ASM#98 but I really don't know how this one would pan out. Are those production creases or just creases and what is the impact of either scenario? I don't know, but if I said it was an 8.5 (which based on the grading contest this might well be) everyone would have jumped all over me. I think a 7.5 is a little harsh but then it all goes back to issue of production creases. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have had the same thing happen to my pictures when I used to use ebay image hosting.

The better thing to do is get a cheap account with www.datazap.net for $2.95 a month and use their ebay auction image hosting/listing tool (which is so easy to use that a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person could use it -- I am living proof of this). The money you save on pictures for one or two auctions will pay for the service, and the increased number of bids you get on your books will also make up for the measly $3. You'll get full sized scans like this at no extra cost from ebay:

Link

The graininess of the scans was on my end when I shrunk these 300 dpi monsters down so they wouldn't stretch the page.

I will be happy to send bigger scans to anyone who asks, maybe I should have included that in the write up but its too late now so sorry. Honestly when I first downloaded it I thought the super sized option wouldn't be necessary but after I previewed it I felt it needed to be enlarged so I just amended it and submitted the item (seemed to work fine with my ASM#98?). I have sold only one book on EBay as you can see from my feedback so I'll take this as a learning experience, I just didn't like my integrity being questioned.

Ah, but the problem with a big scan is simple:

If the book is truly NM (or higher) you will get a much better price

but if the book is really only a VF, wrapped in NM clothing (the grade given to the book), you will only get a VF price.

And how many truly NM books are on eBay that aren't CGC'd?

blush.gif

Ah, but the problem with a big scan is simple:

If the book is truly NM (or higher) you will get a much better price

but if the book is really only a VF, wrapped in NM clothing (the grade given to the book), you will only get a VF price.

And how many truly NM books are on eBay that aren't CGC'd?

blush.gif

People shouldn't be selling VFs as NMs anyway, so confused-smiley-013.gif