• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Shuster Signature: Legit or Not?

47 posts in this topic

hire that chick that Pawn Stars uses to authentic baseballs (shrug)

Which just shows you don't know enough about that company they are the number 1 autograph verification in the world from sports, hollywood, artists, authors, and more.

of course i dont know Captain Obvious :roflmao:

thats why i say go to the the pros (thumbs u

Here is another option to consider since this was his Sol's grandchild and not Sol himself auctioning off the item in a auction he may have added another signature on their. Family members of famous people once they die are known to say this item was used by a certain person or fake a sig on an item. I question the Shuster autograph on there and the Jerry Robinson autograph. Shuster's because there is inconsistencies with the J and S, Jerry's sig is usually alot cleaner and he has a very distinct R on the robinson that I cannot mistake. Its also very odd to see almost every legend you can think of on one sheet. What you need to do is go to the World Famous Gold and Silver Pawn shop in Vegas and let them verify the signatures for free. The other option is send this item into http://www.psacard.com/DNACert/ and pay the fees to certify this item your current certificate is not good for the collecting world. Now the sigs are probably legit, but nobody here is qualified to say yes or no.

After further reflection, I think if I were "forging" Shuster's autograph I would not do it -script because there would be no reference since everything he does seems to be in block letters.

Jerry Robinson's signature seems legit and here is my copy alongside some examples:

Robinson-Examples_zpsecf43211.jpg

Here is also my comparison of Schwartz's signature:

Schwartz-Example-Summary_zps01370be2.jpg

I don't think it is odd to see every legend, because there is a date for the provenance which is the New York DC Supercon. My research shows that Siegel and Shuster attended, and Sol Harrison was the new president of DC at that time. If I were the president, I would certainly try to fulfill a fanboy fantasy of having Superman's creators sign something for me especially considering their animosity with DC had just ended and they reached a mutual settlement.

I don't think this is every legend. As a forger, I would not put Jerry DeFuccio there as there may be other options like Giordano, Curt Swan, Neal Adams or Murphy Anderson. Infantino would be out of the equation since he had just been fired by DC, and Gil Kane was probably drawing for Marvel during that era.

I think it would not be in the grandson or estate's best interest to "add" signatures and would be so difficult to do so in the middle of the page. What are the chances Harrison left Robinson's and Siegel's corners blank? Those won't really add that much to the value and there are other more prominent legends he can add.

Sparkle City Comics has over 48,000 good user feedback on eBay. They also announced on this very board that they were doing a Sol Harrison estate sale:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6968663#Post6968663

After seeing most of the replies here, it seems more likely that this is the real thing in my estimation with all the replies of the members here.

Here is another option to consider since this was his Sol's grandchild and not Sol himself auctioning off the item in a auction he may have added another signature on their. Family members of famous people once they die are known to say this item was used by a certain person or fake a sig on an item. I question the Shuster autograph on there and the Jerry Robinson autograph. Shuster's because there is inconsistencies with the J and S, Jerry's sig is usually alot cleaner and he has a very distinct R on the robinson that I cannot mistake. Its also very odd to see almost every legend you can think of on one sheet. What you need to do is go to the World Famous Gold and Silver Pawn shop in Vegas and let them verify the signatures for free. The other option is send this item into http://www.psacard.com/DNACert/ and pay the fees to certify this item your current certificate is not good for the collecting world. Now the sigs are probably legit, but nobody here is qualified to say yes or no.

After further reflection, I think if I were "forging" Shuster's autograph I would not do it -script because there would be no reference since everything he does seems to be in block letters.

Jerry Robinson's signature seems legit and here is my copy alongside some examples:

Robinson-Examples_zpsecf43211.jpg

Here is also my comparison of Schwartz's signature:

Schwartz-Example-Summary_zps01370be2.jpg

I don't think it is odd to see every legend, because there is a date for the provenance which is the New York DC Supercon. My research shows that Siegel and Shuster attended, and Sol Harrison was the new president of DC at that time. If I were the president, I would certainly try to fulfill a fanboy fantasy of having Superman's creators sign something for me especially considering their animosity with DC had just ended and they reached a mutual settlement.

I don't think this is every legend. As a forger, I would not put Jerry DeFuccio there as there may be other options like Giordano, Curt Swan, Neal Adams or Murphy Anderson. Infantino would be out of the equation since he had just been fired by DC, and Gil Kane was probably drawing for Marvel during that era.

I think it would not be in the grandson or estate's best interest to "add" signatures and would be so difficult to do so in the middle of the page. What are the chances Harrison left Robinson's and Siegel's corners blank? Those won't really add that much to the value and there are other more prominent legends he can add.

Sparkle City Comics has over 48,000 good user feedback on eBay. They also announced on this very board that they were doing a Sol Harrison estate sale:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6968663#Post6968663

After seeing most of the replies here, it seems more likely that this is the real thing in my estimation with all the replies of the members here.

I'm just saying without a real COA from a place like PSA/DNA I would not accept it. Family members of deceased famous people have taken advantage of the public before and it will happen again. Also knowing the fact you know all those famous people are there in one place you can add the signatures with the story and fool people easier another common thing. Your asking the wrong crowd to verify the signatures for you because we are not certified and don't have the right tools.

Screw that. That piece has amazing provenance. If you bought it to flip it and you want to max your bread, maybe get it authenticated. Otherwise enjoy it. I may not be PSA certified, but I own enough, and have seen enough Jerry Robinson sigs to know that Goldeneye is barking out of his nether eye.

Screw that. That piece has amazing provenance. If you bought it to flip it and you want to max your bread, maybe get it authenticated. Otherwise enjoy it. I may not be PSA certified, but I own enough, and have seen enough Jerry Robinson sigs to know that Goldeneye is barking out of his nether eye.

I collect comic art and not really signatures. Actually starting this thread is my first post in "The Signature Room." I usually post in the "Original Comic Art" forum.

Having said that, even though this piece is not "art" but just "signatures" - it is actually the centerpiece of my collection. I will never sell or flip it. I own so much DC Original art with Superman and Batman, it is only fitting the centerpiece will be something signed by their creators.

I can't do the PSA/DNA stuff because I had it shipped straight to me from Sparkle City Comics. I live overseas so it's not feasible to go the PSA/DNA route. Does PSA/DNA authenticate based on hi-res scans? I can actually do that if possible, even if I get a lower grade certification.

Despite being more of an original art guy this one was too good to resist considering the provenance and source and names on it. Also, I got it off an auction so it was a pretty low price and not something that would fatten the bank account of Harrison's grandson to make it worth his time to forge.

In the Original Comic Art forum, someone posted about holding a fake Alex Ross sketch for 3 years. That is actually what inspired me to start this thread here. I don't want to wait 3 years before people will call this out as a fake like he did with his Ross piece. I just got this yesterday believe it or not (thanks to overseas shipping). In that forum, they also say that if you post/share your art publicly in CAF (comicartfans.com) it will lose its desirability. I don't care about that because I buy things to keep, and not to flip! No way am I flipping this.

While waiting for the signatures to arrive, I even already prepared the frame and matte so that all I had to do was put it myself. I just finished this less than 24 hours ago and put it in the middle:

DC-Wall-of-Fame_zps4db6f6da.jpg

Again, I really appreciate all the comments here - whether agreeing or disagreeing, whether playing devil's advocate or complimenting, whether saying its genuine or fake, or whether discussing the possible scenarios. You guys are the best and the most helpful bunch out there.

I just know how not to get taken. Is the sig real probably, but you and no one else on the board is an expert to tell him its real without having it on hand and with the right tools.

I collect comic art and not really signatures. Actually starting this thread is my first post in "The Signature Room." I usually post in the "Original Comic Art" forum.

Having said that, even though this piece is not "art" but just "signatures" - it is actually the centerpiece of my collection. I will never sell or flip it. I own so much DC Original art with Superman and Batman, it is only fitting the centerpiece will be something signed by their creators.

I can't do the PSA/DNA stuff because I had it shipped straight to me from Sparkle City Comics. I live overseas so it's not feasible to go the PSA/DNA route. Does PSA/DNA authenticate based on hi-res scans? I can actually do that if possible, even if I get a lower grade certification.

Despite being more of an original art guy this one was too good to resist considering the provenance and source and names on it. Also, I got it off an auction so it was a pretty low price and not something that would fatten the bank account of Harrison's grandson to make it worth his time to forge.

In the Original Comic Art forum, someone posted about holding a fake Alex Ross sketch for 3 years. That is actually what inspired me to start this thread here. I don't want to wait 3 years before people will call this out as a fake like he did with his Ross piece. I just got this yesterday believe it or not (thanks to overseas shipping). In that forum, they also say that if you post/share your art publicly in CAF (comicartfans.com) it will lose its desirability. I don't care about that because I buy things to keep, and not to flip! No way am I flipping this.

While waiting for the signatures to arrive, I even already prepared the frame and matte so that all I had to do was put it myself. I just finished this less than 24 hours ago and put it in the middle:

DC-Wall-of-Fame_zps4db6f6da.jpg

Again, I really appreciate all the comments here - whether agreeing or disagreeing, whether playing devil's advocate or complimenting, whether saying its genuine or fake, or whether discussing the possible scenarios. You guys are the best and the most helpful bunch out there.

Nope they don't, but after reading your story here I wouldn't get it certified. If your convinced its real then don't send it in. I have a Seven Samurai poster on my wall signed by Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune that was given to me as a present its the center piece of my film poster collection. Are the sigs real I don't know and I really don't want to know it would take away from the poster's value to me too much if it came back fake.

I just know how not to get taken. Is the sig real probably, but you and no one else on the board is an expert to tell him its real without having it on hand and with the right tools.

Let's just say, I am not looking for the right tools now since I am overseas so can't go through PSA (unless they accept scans, do they?). I am also really not interested in that. I made this thread more to get the opinions of the board members, who I know cannot certify anything but will surely lend some valuable insights - a lot of it I have gathered already including from you.

Nope they don't, but after reading your story here I wouldn't get it certified. If your convinced its real then don't send it in. I have a Seven Samurai poster on my wall signed by Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune that was given to me as a present its the center piece of my film poster collection. Are the sigs real I don't know and I really don't want to know it would take away from the poster's value to me too much if it came back fake.

For this particular piece, I would take provenance over handwriting analysis so I agree with you. I doubt the PSA people have been the 1976 DC Supercon and all the signatures here are of people who have passed away so there is no way of verifying their presence. The con also lasted 3 days, so maybe some days some creators were there and other days there weren't. Since this is a keeper, I won't worry much about it and that is good advice from you. Also, the price I paid isn't something I would lose sleep on if it was indeed fake (which from all accounts here is highly unlikely).

Again, valuable advice here about not needing to PSA it for the meantime. Thanks for all the insights so far.

Hey Goldeneye!

as a fellow bond lover, thought you might dig this....

James Bond 007 #1 released out of Brazil in 1971 (thumbs u

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121183406988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Congratulations on the acquisition!

As the seller of this piece, we stand behind the provenance 100%. Although we can't say for sure who handled the piece and how exactly the signatures were executed we have the utmost confidence in Sol Harrison's Grandson's recollection. We spent quite a bit of time with him and having done some research and in the context of the overall collection we feel secure in standing by the provenance.

If for any reason you would like to return the piece we would be happy to take it back and refund you. If you decide to send it to PSA/DNA and any of the signatures don't come back authentic we would be happy to take it back and refund your original payment as well as standard PSA/DNA authentication fees.

This thread has been a very interesting read and we agree with the consensus as far as the legitimacy and significance of the piece.

Congratulations on the acquisition!

As the seller of this piece, we stand behind the provenance 100%. Although we can't say for sure who handled the piece and how exactly the signatures were executed we have the utmost confidence in Sol Harrison's Grandson's recollection. We spent quite a bit of time with him and having done some research and in the context of the overall collection we feel secure in standing by the provenance.

If for any reason you would like to return the piece we would be happy to take it back and refund you. If you decide to send it to PSA/DNA and any of the signatures don't come back authentic we would be happy to take it back and refund your original payment as well as standard PSA/DNA authentication fees.

This thread has been a very interesting read and we agree with the consensus as far as the legitimacy and significance of the piece.

Thank you so much for chiming in on this thread.

There were so many neat items in the Sol Harrison estate auctions that I just had to focus on this one piece. With so many odds and ends, as well as key pieces of art, in that auction, it would be incredibly difficult or illogical to "forge" a single or couple of signatures in that piece I won considering it was not among the most watched or "hot" items of the auction. Thus, the provenance, background and the fact that the seller is willing to participate in this forum discussion gives me the confidence I need on the piece.

As for the PSA/DNA offer, it is not feasible for me being overseas. The mere fact of you making the offers shows the confidence you have in what you have just sold. One person pointed it out well here - that solid provenance surely beats a third-party authenticating. I was thinking that PSA/DNA will never give me as much "security" as good provenance but that it would help if I plan to sell or flip the piece - which is highly unlikely since this is a keeper!

I really appreciate the time and effort you took to reply and contribute to this thread. You have gone above and beyond what is required of a seller in an auction.

I'm new here -- just stumbled on your site. But I felt I had to register as a user to confirm what I know about this. I attended all three days of the "Super DC" convention in February 1976. All attendees received a convention program that included a blank page for autographs. I was fortunate to obtain the autographs of Joe Shuster, Jerry Siegel, Bob Kane, Julius Schwartz, Jack Schiff, Sheldon Mayer, Jerry Robinson, Joe Kubert, Neal Adams, and a couple of others who I cannot today determine their identities from their penmanship. I still have the program with the autographs in my possession, and I can say that the autograph of Joe Shuster in my program is virtually identical to the one posted in this thread, even to the blue pen used. My recollection is that even back in February 1976, Mr. Shuster was already losing his vision and becoming frail.

I would be pleased to upload a scan of the autographs in my program for comparison. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to attach it to this post.

Just to add corroboration to the authenticity of the signature we have here the signatures of Siegel and Schuster on the signed edition of the Famous First Edition treasury of Superman #1. It also appears to be the same

ffe61superman1sig_zps7c430a28.gif

Just to add corroboration to the authenticity of the signature we have here the signatures of Siegel and Schuster on the signed edition of the Famous First Edition treasury of Superman #1. It also appears to be the same

ffe61superman1sig_zps7c430a28.gif

That's awesome!

Here's most of them. The one on the right has me stumped. It looks like Lew Sayer Schwartz's "ew" but I can't find known example where he does is "L" that way. Plus the other examples I found from him had a clearer "S" on each of the other names. I don't know if he saw that he was running out of room and tried to keep it short or it is an entirely different person.

:shrug:

Autos_zps19ba6dd6.jpg