• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Plastino's Statement & Plea Re the Supes #170 Kennedy Splash

170 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

Not only did our consignor purchase the JFK story at auction from Sotheby’s in 1993, he still has the invoice as well, but in fairness to everyone though, we have withdrawn the art from our November 22 auction while Mr. Plastino’s claim is being investigated.

I will try and keep you all updated on what we find out.

Peace,

-Steve

Thanks for the information. What a sad situation for both Mr. Plastino and the consignor who both are innocent victims of whatever misdeed happened decades ago.

Having heard the background story, this piece truly ought to belong to the American people rather than risk being locked up in a private collection. It is disturbing that this appears to have been the artist's original intent.

UPDATE:

Not only did our consignor purchase the JFK story at auction from Sotheby’s in 1993, he still has the invoice as well, but in fairness to everyone though, we have withdrawn the art from our November 22 auction while Mr. Plastino’s claim is being investigated.

I will try and keep you all updated on what we find out.

Peace,

-Steve

Thanks for the information. What a sad situation for both Mr. Plastino and the consignor who both are innocent victims of whatever misdeed happened decades ago.

Having heard the background story, this piece truly ought to belong to the American people rather than risk being locked up in a private collection. It is disturbing that this appears to have been the artist's original intent.

Wasn't the original story drawn by Swan? From what I can tell, no one has sought out to see if the Swan artwork was what was donated all those years ago, and the Plastino artwork done as a replacement story.

Al has now filed with a Manhattan Court to find out who has the pages.

Dying comic artist wants to uncover owner of JFK art

“It would really mean a tremendous amount to him to have the artwork back

in his hands as soon as possible so he can arrange for it to be on

display,” his pro bono attorney, Dale Cendali, told the Post.

I mean seriously.....not just give the art back to somebody that has no rights to it but ... make it snappy !!!!

Sick stuff

Al should be ASHAMED of himself

This is not what a man does

I feel bad if Mr Plastino was misled but there are possibly some very dangerous repercussions for our hobby if he is successful. Just think what the value of all the Ditko ASM art out there is worth and how Mr. Ditko could make a very similar case and make things difficult for a whole lot of people.

Petitioner Plastino makes the claim that because the Kennedy Library never received the Original Artwork, thus title remained with the Petitioner

______

Man, thats a crock as it was not the custom of the publisher to allow the artist any rights over the Original Artwork

Plastino should have NO STANDING in this suit

And as such, this action should FAIL

Plastino should be embarrassed

What a vile thing to have done

Filing a lawsuit on his deathbed is bad karma

Spoiled little baby that doesnt like that his art is being sold in the private market

He comes off as very petty and pathetic to me

I feel bad if Mr Plastino was misled but there are possibly some very dangerous repercussions for our hobby if he is successful. Just think what the value of all the Ditko ASM art out there is worth and how Mr. Ditko could make a very similar case and make things difficult for a whole lot of people.

Whether Plastino believede his art was being donated to the Kennedy Library is IRRELEVANT

IF the art was stolen as Plastino claims, is IRRELEVANT to Plastinos claim as he is a mere "Work For Hire"

The publisher could decide whether they want to file a police report

The publisher has the choice whether to donate the art or not

The publisher has all the rights of remedy

Plastino has NO STANDING and no rights

I think using the words "vile" and "pathetic" are a bit strong. Really, it might be the attorney who's pulling the strings to get a little publicity.

Spoiled little baby that doesnt like that his art is being sold in the private market

I wouldn't go that far.

I disagree with the way he's going about this.

I disagree with what he thinks is the proper action to take.

He's one of the real pioneers of the Silver Age and his place in the Hall of Fame is secure.

It feels like there's a lot of regret on his part for a lot of things and that makes me sad.

I don't think he's a bad guy even though I disagree with what's going on right now.

I don't think it is too strong. Plastino has zero claim on this piece of art because it NEVER belonged to him, it belonged to the publisher. He was a work for hire.

He makes zero effort in 50 years to determine the status of this piece of art. The art has been featured in Jerry Weists price guide and in Sothebys auction in 1994. And not a peep out of Plastino.

He poses for the art with a big smile on his face. He doesnt seem angry. On the contrary, he seems happy to pose with the art.

Now he files a frivilous lawsuit against an obvious fan who was a bonafide purchaser for value almost 20 years ago

The defendant is now going to have to hire a lawyer and will probably take a loss on his purchase because of attorney fees. Unless Heritage defends him, which I dont see why Heritage would do that. Although that would be super cool because this guy is being harassed by Plastino

In short - Plastino is a real cry baby in my book

Hate people like him

Hate them with a passion

I think using the words "vile" and "pathetic" are a bit strong. Really, it might be the attorney who's pulling the strings to get a little publicity.

I wouldn't go that far.

I disagree with the way he's going about this.

I disagree with what he thinks is the proper action to take.

He's one of the real pioneers of the Silver Age and his place in the Hall of Fame is secure.

It feels like there's a lot of regret on his part for a lot of things and that makes me sad.

I don't think he's a bad guy even though I disagree with what's going on right now.

Yes, he is a pioneer of the silver age and his place in the hall of fame as an artist is secure. I am a fan of his art too.

But as a human being . . . his actions are morally repugnant to me

He is a 90+ year old individual born and raised in a different era. His values may not be the same as someone else's. While it is easy to sit here and dissect the case from a legal perspective, he may simply feel the situation is "unfair" without a lot of sophistication attached to that feeling.