• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Plastino’s JFK Superman Art Stolen?

68 posts in this topic

OR he could be honored his work is so great and so many people enjoy it to pay extreme amounts of money for it. Yes, I can see his frustration but would he rather people think his stuff is and not want it?

I also think it's funny how he's mad at the high prices for his signature so he quits signing stuff. Um, that's gonna drive the prices up further. So why doesn't he just sign everything in sight and drown out the market instead? Or, just personalize everything he signs.

I was wondering why old-school comic book artists aren't organized as a group to a central booking agent or someone to source the demand. (or maybe they are?) (shrug)

If fans are furnishing the supply-side, items showing up for inflated prices, it's probably silly for the artists not to supply the market themselves, become a direct source. Right? If demand is there, why not get paid market rates?

OR he could be honored his work is so great and so many people enjoy it to pay extreme amounts of money for it. Yes, I can see his frustration but would he rather people think his stuff is and not want it?

I also think it's funny how he's mad at the high prices for his signature so he quits signing stuff. Um, that's gonna drive the prices up further. So why doesn't he just sign everything in sight and drown out the market instead? Or, just personalize everything he signs.

*sigh*

Frank Cho posted this:

From Eric Nolen Weathington, comic book historian:

The story got a few details wrong. The story scheduled for issue #168 was actually drawn by Curt Swan and George Klein. According to an editorial in that issue written by Weisinger, DC was going to give that artwork to Jacqueline Kennedy. When Johnson asked DC to publish the story a couple of months later, they didn't have Swan's artwork, so Plastino drew a new version of the story.

Here’s the thing though. DC didn't give artwork back to artists at that time. So even if DC never said they were going to donate it to the Kennedy Museum, Plastino still wouldn't have the artwork in his possession. That DC staffer who walked out of the office with those pages (and a whole lot of artwork walked out of that building) would have gotten them either way. But if that staffer hadn't taken the pages, they likely would have been cut up and discarded long before DC started returning artwork.

I was wondering why old-school comic book artists aren't organized as a group to a central booking agent or someone to source the demand. (or maybe they are?) (shrug)

If fans are furnishing the supply-side, items showing up for inflated prices, it's probably silly for the artists not to supply the market themselves, become a direct source. Right? If demand is there, why not get paid market rates?

There is nothing stopping Mr. Plastino from buying up as many Action #252s as he can find, signing them for CGC SS, and selling them himself. I understand that seeing that book sell for big money (or at least a big asking price) is what made him angry, and it is a common story with other creators too. If he felt that people were profiting off of him unfairly that would be one way to turn the tables.

He hasn't completely quit signing stuff. At NYCC, he signed anything. He signed my Superman #76, which is worth just as much. I'm pretty sure he said that he would sign any of the keys like Adventure #247. The only exception is Action #252. He mentioned that he won't even sign his personal copy, which is odd. I think most creators don't mind people making money off their signature, but there's a limit.

In my opinion, since he doesn't sign too often, more people should be getting his signature. When I met him, he had no line at all. But in fairness, it was $35 for a signature at the show (donation to Hero Initiative).

The price for a signature is alittle high, but worth it. His sketch prices are pretty reasonable though.