• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Choosing Raw over CGC

6 posts in this topic

Or, the Final Stretch

Could I do it? Could I possibly find the last two copies needed in the New Mutants set for both Bagifleas and myself. At the moment I don't have many signatures I want at the Megacon. This gives me a numerous amount of booths to wander through looking for the most pristine copy I can find.

Issue 58 and annual four are not by any means popular issues to have graded. I was able to attain 9.6's on both of these. My issue fifty eight was signed, but couldn't get the 9.8 rating. Matt looked at it after the book was encapsulated and passed off as not being able to get the 9.8. My annual was pressed and signed at Wizard World Philadelphia this year. The grade jumped, but not enough.

So my search continues. The last two books will have to be found in raw form. Do I dare try to get it signed first or would I be happy with a universal grade. Is it possible to find two copies for both my brother and me? I know I can pick 9.6's, but can I pick 9.8's?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14520.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Just like you, big brother, I too am trying to find raw copies of these last two issues for both of us.

They are just so difficult to find. I have a copy of #58 that I had double signed at Baltimore, but I know it will be 9.6 at best.

I don't even HAVE a raw copy of Annual 4, so I'm still behind on that one. I really hope the two #95 2nd prints I had triple signed in Baltimore both come back 9.8 for us, but again, I feel 9.6 is probably the best for those.

I don't have too much so far for Megacon either, but there is still plenty of time before the con, so more creators or stars may be added by then.

Right now, Florida Supercon is the big one signature wise for me! There are already TONS of creators and stars scheduled for it, and it doesn't happen until July!!!

But for those of you who have not checked out either me or my brother's New Mutants sets, do yourself a favor and spend some time going through them.

There are many issues where we each own the only two 9.8 copies out there!

There are some issues where we each have the same sigs on them.

There are some where either one or the other has a SS copy that the other one doesn't.

There are some where one will have more or different sigs on the issues than the other.

We seem to have been dancing around each other with our matching sets in such a way as to distinguish them not by which issues we have, but by how and who we got signatures from.

My brother has issues in his set that I wish were mine, and I'm sure that I have some that he feels likewise.

It truly has been a joy to collect these and put the time and effort together into them to help each other develop our sets into what will eventually end with the completion of both all of the issues and the sigs.

Until then, everyone eagerly awaits your revelation of the the next series you plan on collecting, big brother!! Can't wait to hang out with you again at Megacon!!

As for the question I prefer to always go graded when I can. I have been burned on four occasions with sellers and their "Original owner, no touch-up's, no alteration, no trimming." to many times. But that's mainly on older books, Silver/Bronze for me. As for Moderns I'm entering that territory you and your brother have entered with the submission of raws only for CGC grading and will most likely go the pre-screen route with it for my X-Force Set. Between me and Blarfingar we own most of the core series that were slabbed between the Leifeld and Capullo runs but now have to go into the area where he and I will now be like you and your brother, the sole owner of a graded book.

Good luck and if I see any close ones I'll let you know.

You guys are borthers that collect comics together? Thats awesome. My brother collected with me when we were kids, and I've been buying him trade paperbacks for christmas and birthday presents for avfew years now. But to work on completing 2 cgc'd sets of a full series with your brother would be awesome.

You guys are borthers that collect comics together? Thats awesome. My brother collected with me when we were kids, and I've been buying him trade paperbacks for christmas and birthday presents for avfew years now. But to work on completing 2 cgc'd sets of a full series with your brother would be awesome.

I think they're brothers from another mother.

I think they're brothers from another mother.

Different father too