• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 5

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 5  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 5

30 posts in this topic

My favorite of the bunch: AAMOW 94. :luhv:

Heath drew a recreation of it for the Big 5 Guide to DC War. He asked if I noticed the changes and I said "no" because at that time I hadn't ever seen the original. He pointed out the wings on the original cover were slightly swept back as he had recently drawn a Korean War-era story with Sabre jets that had swept back wings and it unconsciously influenced the WWII plane.

He also said that at the time he drew it the precise measurements of the P-51 were still considered secret and that he had made the pilot too big relative to the plane. To compensate, he made him 4% smaller in the recreation.

Almost any other artist would have said he drew the figure smaller. Heath is good enough to freehand reduce the figure by 4%.

Red makes me think of STOP signs.....

That one had to go :insane:

:cry:

Heath drew a recreation of it for the Big 5 Guide to DC War. He asked if I noticed the changes and I said "no" because at that time I hadn't ever seen the original. He pointed out the wings on the original cover were slightly swept back as he had recently drawn a Korean War-era story with Sabre jets that had swept back wings and it unconsciously influenced the WWII plane.

He also said that at the time he drew it the precise measurements of the P-51 were still considered secret and that he had made the pilot too big relative to the plane. To compensate, he made him 4% smaller in the recreation.

Almost any other artist would have said he drew the figure smaller. Heath is good enough to freehand reduce the figure by 4%.

Wow, unbelievable.

And thats the thing, I cant imagine Heath's "best" cover not being a cover that includes the machines (planes tanks) that he drew with such amazing precision.

And thats the thing, I cant imagine Heath's "best" cover not being a cover that includes the machines (planes tanks) that he drew with such amazing precision.

:cry:

One of the (many) things I always loved about Heath was his attention to detail. While other artists were drawing Nazi tanks that looked nothing like any Nazi tank ever made, Russ was doing research to draw them as accurately as possible.

One of the (many) things I always loved about Heath was his attention to detail. While other artists were drawing Nazi tanks that looked nothing like any Nazi tank ever made, Russ was doing research to draw them as accurately as possible.

Heath bought and built models so that he could more accurately depict planes/tanks from the appropriate perspective. Back in the 90s I asked him if he still used them and he said they were in storage as he was long past needing them. That is, he understood them so well he didn't need the reference.