• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone identify the war comic that his story was from?

11 posts in this topic

Someone has been trying to remember a story that he read in an old war comic (probably Bronze Age) but is having no luck in remembering what the comic was.

Can you figure it out?

Here are the clues we have:

- He thinks it was either a G.I. Combat or maybe a Sgt. Rock ( but maybe he's wrong, who knows, we all get old and forget stuff).

- the story - from what I can remember he said it was Russian soldiers fighting Germans, so presumably WW2. The Russians are all cut down but then in the next panel words something like 'but a soldier can rise again' and suddenly one of the Russians is up and firing on the Germans though horribly outnumbered. Eventually, however, the soldier falls. By chance one of the Germans kicks the body and it falls down into a trench/ravine and in the last panel the helmet has fallen away and we see that the Russian soldier who rose again and took out so many of then enemy was, in fact, a beautiful blond woman.

Anyone recall this or have any leads?

No idea.

While this could have been a backup in G.I. Combat or Sgt. Rock, given that the story is about Russians fighting Germans, it seems unlikely it would have featured the main stars of either title. Or the stars of any of the DC anthology titles for that matter.

For this reason, my immediate reaction is that this may have been in Weird War Tales instead. I'm not sure that twist is quite weird enough for WWT, but it is a possibility.

Someone has been trying to remember a story that he read in an old war comic (probably Bronze Age) but is having no luck in remembering what the comic was.

Can you figure it out?

- He thinks it was either a G.I. Combat or maybe a Sgt. Rock ( but maybe he's wrong, who knows, we all get old and forget stuff).

- the story - from what I can remember he said it was Russian soldiers fighting Germans, so presumably WW2. The Russians are all cut down but then in the next panel words something like 'but a soldier can rise again' and suddenly one of the Russians is up and firing on the Germans though horribly outnumbered. Eventually, however, the soldier falls. By chance one of the Germans kicks the body and it falls down into a trench/ravine and in the last panel the helmet has fallen away and we see that the Russian soldier who rose again and took out so many of then enemy was, in fact, a beautiful blond woman.

You're such a gentleman. lol

Can you figure it out?

You're such a gentleman. lol

Guilty as charged. :acclaim:

PM 'HouseofComics.Com' (Marc) and ask him, he specializes in war comics.

Thanks for the tip. (thumbs u

I am almost done with reading the Showcase Weird War Tales and though there are potential candidates in there, I don't believe anything close enough to be a match. I'll flip through it tonight but I haven't seen anything in that volume. Certainly not about the blond woman. I imagine that's an element that we have for sure and it would be stricking in one's memory.

So, as I PM'd back, probably seems to be a Kanigher Gallery of War story but possibly a Weird War Tales as there are some German vs. Russian stories in there and this might be just weird enough.

Shep is more of an expert on Gallery of War stories than I am.

Gallery of War is where I'd start - but also might take a closer look at Blitzkrieg.

On balance, DC published very few Eastern Front stories.

Charlton war books, however, did quite a few.... but that would be some serious digging. My collection of bronze age Charltons is pretty extensive, but I have not looked into those books in many years....

I'll try and check some GOWs later this week. I bought reading grade copies of most GOW issues some time ago so I could enjoy them without beating up the pretty copies... now I just have to find them!

Shep