• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 6

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 6  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 6

19 posts in this topic

With Round 5, we said goodbye to:

Our Fighting Forces 51

spellbound 3

spellbound 20

Uncanny Tales 48

War Comics 11

This round will prove to be pretty tough, I imagine, slashing the top 10 Russ Heath covers down to our top 5!

Good luck!! :wishluck:

I hope you know what you're doing by now. Please vote for your 5 least favorite books.

Ladies and germs, your top 10:

AAMOW94_zps0dfcc053.jpg

battleaction15_zps7e5079d9.jpg

gicombat80_zpsc2599da7.jpg

journeyintounknownworlds49_zpsf81079ba.jpg

marveltales130cropped_zpseb9cd928.jpg

Showcase29_zps023002c3.jpg

showcase45_zpsd55a1b9a.jpg

starspangledwarstories81_zps843f2f2b.jpg

uncannytales23_zps32cd0690.jpg

War23_zps833faa0d.jpg

- Battle Action 15

- G I Combat 80

- Showcase 29

- Star-Spangled War Stories 81

- Uncanny Tales 23

Tired of seeing SSWS 81 win. I prefer Heath's SF / Monster / horror covers, in general. Spellbound 20 was a great GGA cover.

Anyone else notice that Russ would design a cover (later in his career like SA and beyond) to avoid showing faces? The only time you see faces is when they are covered with scuba masks!

SSWS81... facing away

AAMOW.... facing away

Showcase45.... Rock is facing away.

GI Combat80... facing away

Anyone else notice that Russ would design a cover (later in his career like SA and beyond) to avoid showing faces? The only time you see faces is when they are covered with scuba masks!

SSWS81... facing away

AAMOW.... facing away

I love the emotion he draws in faces. That is why my favorite is the War Comics. Those 2 faces are perfect.

SSWS81... facing away

AAMOW.... facing away

It's like a first person shooter.... you get to see what the "shooter" is seeing :)

I kinda think

AAMOW 94.....

GI Combat 80....

and

SSWS 81 .....

are really similar, but the AAMOW 94 is the most dynamic, exciting and precise. I love the panorama view of the battle all around. And the idea that this pilot might be going down.... but hell if he is going down with any bullets left anywhere that he can use. Its just a phenomenal concept.

The Uncanny tales 23 is my second favorite cuz its totally the opposite. He has captured a still scene in perfect detail that evoks darkness, night and secret happenings. And what is the floating hat all about....? and the "other paddle" ? The hooded figures also add a very sinister feeling to this cover. You just know, somebody..... who shouldn't be.... is in that casket.... and they might not be dead ..... yet.

I kinda think

AAMOW 94.....

GI Combat 80....

and

SSWS 81 .....

are really similar, but the AAMOW 94 is the most dynamic, exciting and precise. I love the panorama view of the battle all around. And the idea that this pilot might be going down.... but hell if he is going down with any bullets left anywhere that he can use. Its just a phenomenal concept.

eh, I don't care for it, and don't see it anywhere nearly as dynamic as the GI 80. To me its kind of dumb. Don't get me wrong, the art is cool, but.... Dude ain't going to shoot a plane down with a pistol. Just go ahead and pull the cord already.

Uncanny Tales 23 and Journey Into Unknown Worlds 49 are still here but Spellbound 20 got voted off? doh! That cover is juggtastic!

Heath drew great headlights. :cloud9:

What are you talking about? Tanks dont have headlights! It just makes them more of a target... oh ... wait... I get what you are talking about...

Uncanny Tales 23 and Journey Into Unknown Worlds 49 are still here but Spellbound 20 got voted off? doh! That cover is juggtastic!

Heath drew great headlights. :cloud9:

What are you talking about? Tanks dont have headlights! It just makes them more of a target... oh ... wait... I get what you are talking about...

:cloud9:

Seriously though, out of those three horror books, the Spellbound #20 pins the others to the mat.

I kinda think

AAMOW 94.....

GI Combat 80....

and

SSWS 81 .....

eh, I don't care for it, and don't see it anywhere nearly as dynamic as the GI 80. To me its kind of dumb. Don't get me wrong, the art is cool, but.... Dude ain't going to shoot a plane down with a pistol. Just go ahead and pull the cord already.

hm I was thinking he was trying to kill the pilot, not bring the plane down

This has been an interesting process for me. I love Russ Heath, I love his war books and I think of him primarily in terms of being a war artist. But darned if I didn't vote off all war books this round in favor of keeping all his non-war books that remain. That Marvel Tales #130 in particular is :cloud9:

AAMoW #94 is still my favorite, mind you, but man, Heath had some great non-war covers.