• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

124 in 30

9 posts in this topic

Or 1/526

Who would have thought that a journal would no longer linger for days. The top spot racking up views for lack of anything new. Imagine if you would Wednesday after Wednesday, no new comic books making it to your LCS. Or if Marvel decimated DC, if Image was just that, or Disney replaced X-Men with F-Troop, what would you read then?

When I first started writing on the journals there would be times a week would go by before another journal was placed on the registry. That is no longer the case. I know the chat boards are an interactive cesspool of information, entertainment, and grievances, but I like the solidarity of a single journal.

It's been a almost a solid four years since

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=6438

And who knows where it will end? I chose to do a thirty in thirty a few Novembers ago. It was an experiment to see if I could. This year I chose October for my experiment, not do much for the extra day, but because November was difficult. Should I continue? Can I thrust myself into the void and create journals for the next 31 days concluding with a 60 in 60, or with another day left in October and 124 journals written this month, do I need too?

Thanks for Writing

Tnerb

Ps. And clue number three is, what I'm thinking of collecting is not yet a set. And the answer to clue 2 is...

14548.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Hmm, okay I'll try another guess with interpretation of clues so far...

Clue 1: Timely = "another version of Marvel"

Clue 2: 29 and Plasm 0 = "Earth 295 + David Lapham"

Clue 3: not yet a set = not yet a set

The answer here is: Age of Apocalypse!

This is a bit like the Clue movie, where there was enough evidence to support multiple different endings...

Garlanda, I apologize. The picture above is just something I found that ScreenWriter3d and I discussed earlier in the month.In a few days I will show a portion of a cover, but the above pictured is an actual card set that Defiant produced that once together would form a comic book.

lol I thought your ellipse referred to the picture as an answer to the "29" clue. I couldn't really see the connection, but I made it work!

Yeah, I remember Plasm well. I have that Second Edition binder too. I always kind of liked the idea of the trading card comic, but also understand how annoying it is to force people to try to buy packs to complete the comic. Individual cards are basically worthless unless it's so hot that a real trading market develops.

Funny story... I bought a box of these packs and managed to still be missing one card from the story. I ordered about 5 more packs from the mail-order subscription I was using at the time, At Your Service Subscriptions. They allocated my order down to one pack. In that one pack I got the one card I needed and a foil chase card. Shoulda bought a lottery ticket too.

Sucked how Marvel ran them out of business with frivolous lawsuits. Defiant had potential.

Marvel loves its lawsuits.

But I am unfamiliar with their's against Defiant.

Could you share what exactly took place and why?

Tnerb... thanks for posting the pic. You also had me fooled for a second thinking your new collection was from Dark Dominion/Plasm.

I am really stumped! I think I'll need a bazillion clues to figure it out.

SW3D

Marvel loves its lawsuits.

But I am unfamiliar with their's against Defiant.

Could you share what exactly took place and why?

Tnerb... thanks for posting the pic. You also had me fooled for a second thinking your new collection was from Dark Dominion/Plasm.

I am really stumped! I think I'll need a bazillion clues to figure it out.

SW3D

Basically, when Marvel heard that Defiant was putting out a book called Plasm, they sued for copyright infringement on their godawful MarvelUK book Plasmer.

635381.jpg

Defiant voluntarily changed their book to "WARRIORS OF Plasm" to further differentiate, but Marvel kept it up until Defiant spent more than $300,000 on legal proceedings. Defiant won the lawsuit, and the judge apparently even chastised Marvel for their improper business practices and frivolous lawsuits. But by then a potentially-lucrative toy deal with Mattel had collapsed and the company was basically too far in the hole to be viable.

Jim Shooter Interview pt 2

"Legal News: Defiant Wins Judgement on Plasm," The Comics Journal #163 (November 1993), p. 14

Wow... Marvel can be so f@ucked-up at times.

Why bother to sue over that piece of sh$t anyway?

To be honest, I never read either title but they both read like stinkers!

I don't understand why DC never sued Marvel for taking its name from Captain Marvel/Shazam?

When DC sued Fawcett over "copycat" infringement (Superman vs. Shazam), due to the Big Red Cheese outselling the Big Blue Boyscout in monthly sales... they knocked Fawcett out of business.

Sometimes the home of our heroes also house the villains!

SW3D

Wow... Marvel can be so f@ucked-up at times.

Why bother to sue over that piece of sh$t anyway?

To be honest, I never read either title but they both read like stinkers!

I don't understand why DC never sued Marvel for taking its name from Captain Marvel/Shazam?

When DC sued Fawcett over "copycat" infringement (Superman vs. Shazam), due to the Big Red Cheese outselling the Big Blue Boyscout in monthly sales... they knocked Fawcett out of business.

Sometimes the home of our heroes also house the villains!

SW3D

Why did Marvel sue? Just to put Shooter out of business, or at least cause him some hardship.

Why didn't DC sue Marvel over Captain Marvel/Shazam? Because of their own lawsuit against Fawcett! DC forced Fawcett to stop making Captain Marvel, so during the interregnum Marvel put out their own, unrelated Captain Marvel...

729423.jpg

By the time DC wanted to make their own books with the Big Red Cheese, they were out of luck. As a result, Marvel has to put out a Captain Marvel book every now and then to maintain the publication history...

865459.jpg 1989 (just within 10 years of the end of the previous series!)

729907.jpg 1995

665347.jpg 1999

869017.jpg 2002

941273.jpg 2007

1174117.jpg 2012