• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Issue

28 posts in this topic

Why would I pay the same for a digital version that I can never touch and has no value when I could have a physical copy for the same price?

Some obvious answers:

- portability: carry thousands of titles with you all the time

- instant access - no rooting through boxes/shelves

- not taking up loads of space in your home

- no degradation

- not everyone cares about touching comics

- not everyone cares about value for new comics that they just want to read

Another one to add: The death of the LCS, believe me, there isn't one in every town.

I keep seeing ads for NextIssue and wonder if this kind of marketing-model will put any pressure on how monthly comic books are offered.

It's basically 109 magazine titles for a $10 a month ongoing fee.

www.zinio.com also offers digital subscriptions like this but I don't believe they offer a bundle like nextissue does. The cool thing about zinio is my public library offers me "free" access so I get to read the mags I like: The Economist, Publishers Weekly, National Geographic, etc. in the best digital format wherever I want to.

My library does as well and I still find myself not reading 50% of the magazines I put in my cart for free.

They still are free :sumo: and we can't help it if you're so busy you can't read the new issue of The Beer Connoisseur :baiting:

Another one to add: The death of the LCS, believe me, there isn't one in every town.

I really wonder about the "death of the LCS" concern in this context. It may be overly exaggerated, in the same way VHS was going to kill off cinema.

The group I imagine this marketing-model capturing are all the readers who aren't going to a LCS anway. Readers looking to stay in touch with good reads, but who aren't going to go out of their way to a specialty shop to do so. Readers looking to add content to their devise, to be explored at their leisure.

Coming at it bass-akwards...think of all the people attracted to comic books in other forms (conventions, cosplay, animation, film, statues, toys, swag, t-shirts, video games, tv). Would a marketing approach like this capture a decent portion of that audience and actually expose them to actual comics? Broaden the base for publishers?

At $10 per month for access to all a publishers comics for that month (or a month behind), I'd be in if they were easily accessible on a mobile device and easy to use. I just stopped buying new books last year after an over 30 year run. This would get me reading new books again.

Even now, you can find and download all current books being put out. Just no money going to the publishers, and you have to unpack them, transfer them, etc.

I think the market for digital is a different market than physical comics.

If anything it's a good thing. There are some people who will stop going to the LCS if they have digital available, and some that will go to the LCS after downloading digital.

But overall, I think there's a digital crowd and a physical / LCS crowd (not to mention the ever elusive buy physical online for deep discounts crowd)

The more people that read the better IMO. Not just comics, I don't care if they read street signs for an hour a day, just read for enjoyment and entertainment, not because you are mandated by someone to do it.

IMO, this type of monthly sub system is going to become the norm someday, get the digital cheap, and the physical at "normal" price.

Interesting opinions and plenty to ponder. (thumbs u

I assume the strip-mining fanboy collectors/chase-card approach works or publishers wouldn't stay focused on that model, with all the variants, special events and short run incentives. But at some point it would be nice to see comic books broaden their overall base and resume the everyday pop-culture exposure they used to enjoy.

Novels seem to be on fire, with all manner of speculative niches being carved out. Too bad comics can't tap into to that audience. But it's a readers market.

I think the market for digital is a different market than physical comics.

If anything it's a good thing. There are some people who will stop going to the LCS if they have digital available, and some that will go to the LCS after downloading digital.

But overall, I think there's a digital crowd and a physical / LCS crowd (not to mention the ever elusive buy physical online for deep discounts crowd)

The more people that read the better IMO. Not just comics, I don't care if they read street signs for an hour a day, just read for enjoyment and entertainment, not because you are mandated by someone to do it.

IMO, this type of monthly sub system is going to become the norm someday, get the digital cheap, and the physical at "normal" price.

+1

I think digital is only helping the market. Somewhere I read an article by Kirkman talking about the huge numbers of people reading TWD because of the access of digital. The ease of reading the book is so high. It is also a good way to get a sample and decide if it is something you are truly interested in as a casual fan.

Personally, I probably won't ever go digital. The only way I'd do it is if I could scan my already existing books and put them on a portable device. It would make re-reading so easy. Lately I've found myself reading trades simply because of the ease and accessibility.