• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirkman Outcast/Valiant..I will see you in COURT!!???

29 posts in this topic

How many people currently read WD vs. all of the new Valiant titles combined? (shrug)

I am not trying to be facetious here, but I am too lazy to do the work myself to see how they stack up.

The new Unity #1 has close to 70k orders so I would say they are doing pretty well.

That's true, but it actually doesn't matter.

If you start a company selling shoes called "Rubbernators" and trademark it... you're protected.

As long as your trademark is active, Nike can't just "swoosh" in and say, WE'RE MAKING RUBBERNATORS NOW AND WHO EVER HEARD OF YOUR COMPANY ANYWAY!

That's the point of trademarks. Popularity isn't considered... it's who got there first and protected themselves.

"Too lazy" is the only reason Kirkman would have even considered using the word "Outcast".

Someone (probably his "people", not him specifically) just didn't check the trademarks database.

It's like Google... you can just look it up...

They didn't.

How many people currently read WD vs. all of the new Valiant titles combined? (shrug)

I am not trying to be facetious here, but I am too lazy to do the work myself to see how they stack up.

The new Unity #1 has close to 70k orders so I would say they are doing pretty well.

We have no idea how this title is going to sell at the retailer. I'm hopeful, but X-O Manowar started strong too and is now down in the 10 - 15,000 print run range and that is Valiant's biggest character. Let's see what the print run is on Unity issue 6 on. I think 70k is fantastic, but you have to admit, that title won't hold 1/3 of that total by month 6 unless Valiant plans on continuing the large number of variants and no returns or they attract new readers. It's pretty easy to estimate Valiant's current readership is probably 10 - 15,000 strong. If issue 2 sells half that 70k, that will be positive for Valiant.

(As an aside, I doubt many retailers ordered heavy on this title expecting to have returns. Returns still cost money to the retailer and unless they calculated the cost of the returns in their equations, I'm doubtful Valiant will get many returns on this title. I think this was a shrewd move by Valiant.)

Comparing the WD title totals versus the entire Valiant line totals seems wrong. WD is a hot property with a TV show with 10 years of publishing. Valiant is a line wishing to become hot that is only 2 years into publishing.

I think a closer comparison to Valiant right now is the CrossGen line of comics. Good buzz, a strong fan base. Let's hope Valiant doesn't make some of the same mistakes Mark Alessi made at that publisher.

Another good comparison will be Dynamite's Gold Key titles. That will be interesting to see how the classic characters from old Valiant (Magnus, Solar, Turok) stack up against the Valiant original characters. But even then, you need to wait until those titles are on issue 6 or later.

As to the original topic of this thread, I liked the original Outcast title Valiant published. I wouldn't mind seeing Valiant re-purpose the title with a similar concept.

It's pretty easy to estimate Valiant's current readership is probably 10 - 15,000 strong.

Valiant has almost as large of a readership in trades.

The trade sales for Valiant have been 10,000+ for the Volume 1 releases, way ahead of what Valiant projected.

I don't know how many trade readers will become regular monthly readers.

It doesn't seem like it would be many... since they probably prefer trades.

Trade sales, though, could remain strong no matter what the monthly numbers are.

The trades are always in print, so someone can become a new Valiant reader and catch up at any point.

It's pretty easy to estimate Valiant's current readership is probably 10 - 15,000 strong.

Valiant has almost as large of a readership in trades.

The trade sales for Valiant have been 10,000+ for the Volume 1 releases, way ahead of what Valiant projected.

I don't know how many trade readers will become regular monthly readers.

It doesn't seem like it would be many... since they probably prefer trades.

Trade sales, though, could remain strong no matter what the monthly numbers are.

The trades are always in print, so someone can become a new Valiant reader and catch up at any point.

The trades numbers are great, but I would discount them quite a bit based on the trends I see with Image where the regular comic readers are also buying the trades to complete the collection or just have one to read instead of damaging the floppies.

I hope that Unity is able to give the regular issues a nice boost in readership. (thumbs u

It depends on whether that is 70K copies of the regular cover or including all pull-box and other non-rare variants as well. If it is total copies sold, and there are 10,000 - 15,000 Valiant readers, then it basically works out to 1 copy per each cover per reader.

That being said, I hope it does well and attracts new readers to the line as they are decent books and, most importantly, I would like to get more than cover for my regular back issues. lol