• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 #1: Checklists by Brandon Shepherd

2 posts in this topic

What am I getting myself into?

Tnerb's recent writing (and challenge) of doing thirty journals in thirty days had me thinking. Kaholo1256 accepted this challenge and will be embarking on his own thirty day journey, and I look forward to what these two (and possibly others) produce. I had been thinking about this all day at work, wondering if I had it in me to write thirty journals in thirty days. I thought about some different topics, I like my journals to arrive organically; I don't want to write for the sake of adding a journal, if I really have to think about what I want to write - and the journal composition does not flow - then it is not the right time. I kept going back and forth on this; would I run out of steam after three or four days? Would I be scrapping the bottom of the barrel after a week or two?

I accept this challenge, maybe I will surprise myself with this, perhaps one journal will inspire another, or a post from someone else will do the same, giving me the organic geneses and natural flow I desire. For my first journal in this series I will share some of the many checklists I have. Pictured below are some papers I have shuffled around for a few years. I like making lists for various things, I keep a folder for comic checklists, I find making various lists can be a release, resulting in many sheets of paper going in the recycle bin over the years. There is nothing like getting a new book, pulling out a checklist and crossing it off to mark your progress.

The lists I have pictured below are as follows:

Action Comics #400-#499: as of this writing I have 32 of these checked off. This is for 9.8, white paged examples of course, this is my main focus, it what I was meant to put together!

The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones (34 issues): I wish I would have dated this list when I printed it, I think I printed this sometime in 2002/03, I had initially set out to put this run together raw. The printed list also lists the issues for the movie adaptations and the Dark Horse series from the 1990s. I currently have 22 of the 34 issues for Indy's further adventures, 64% complete -- 12 more to go.

Red Sonja (Marvel): I only have 2 of the 15 issues so far; I bought both my examples in 2009. Action Comics and Indy have taken top priority over the years but I still hope to check some of these issues off this list in the future.

The fourth list I have pictured is a list of Action Comics cover runs.

-I have Gil Kane's 14 covers listed; I have 5 of them to date.

-I also have Nick Cardy's 36 covers; I'm at 8 in my collection.

-The 12 covers from José Luis García-López are listed, I have 7 of them.

-John Byrne did 17 covers for Action Comics in the 1980s, I have 12 and I cannot wait to write about when I complete this one!

I also included Neal Adams, this is the most difficult to complete in high grade, he did 29 Action covers.

I have a few more lists as well, like Star Trek from Marvel in the early '80s (I only have one) and a spread sheet for all the various issues, collector's editions, platinum editions and multiple printings that make up the Death and Return of Superman saga, I counted 93 issues last time I checked this one.

There you have it, a list of some of my lists.

Thanks for reading.

Brandon

14572.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Very ambitious... I like it! I know you have it in you to do 30 in 30... and the amount of material seems readily available based on the collections you are putting together.

I don't know if I could commit to such an endeavor, but I promise to read ever journal you, K-Man, and Tnerb post as well as anyone else who takes up the challenge.

SW3D