• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plastic "brackets" inside cgc case?

8 posts in this topic

I just bought this saga 1 cgc 9.8 signature series off ebay. When I opened the package, I noticed two clear plastic "brackets" inside the cgc case but outside the inner well (I think) one is along the spine of the book, one is at the bottom. They look like they're there to hold the book in place, but I've never seen these before on any cgc book. Has anyone else ever seen this? I dont think its been tampered with, but they look really weird, and assumedly just hold the book in place inside the case, which the inner well should do already. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

B0nfwr2.jpg

Weird, so I've just never run across one before....

I would think that if the inner well was sealed properly, the book shouldn't shift at all inside. But now that you mention it, both the #2 and #3 I got with it could shift around inside the case. I had to gently "shake" them to get the books centered in the cgc case. You would think with what we pay to get books slabbed, the inner wells would be properly sealed and there would be no need for add on "brackets", but I've actually got several books back that you could see the seam didnt go all the way around the inner well, (you could see that certain parts along the seam didnt seal.)

I feel like if the inner well doesnt properly seal, cgc should re-do the inner well, instead of just slabbing the book anyway and sending it out. Is this a more recent problem, or have people always gotten books back that can shift around inside the cases?

These will not eliminate SCS.

Nothing will stop SCS completely, but they should decrease the incidents of SCS. The brackets should keep the book from moving too much inside the inner well, and moving too much inside the inner well is one of the causes of SCS.

However, the brackets will not stop SCS damage caused by extreme impact, such as dropping the case on a hard surface from a decent height.

IMO, the less movement inside the inner well, the better. CGC calls these wedges. I like them. I have heard incidents where the wedge prevented movement of the cover while the inner book shifted = staple tears. Nothing is perfect.