• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the original sites that housed Marvel & DC Comics be Landmarked?

22 posts in this topic

There are hugely more significant historical landmarks that have gone unnoticed or destroyed - places that changed the face of history. I think you might be assigning a *bit* more importance to comics than it actually has.

I'm well aware of what happened to Pennsylvania Station.

Comic Books (and Comic Strips) were major mediums of entertainment in the first part of the 20th Century. For many new Americans having just migrated to America, these mediums were highly significant. I'm not overestimating the significance of the comic book and what it meant to New York City. When the Museum of the American Moving Image opened in Queens and not Manhattan, it was one way of recognizing NYC's role as the place where filmmaking began before heading west. The Ebbits Field Houses have a plaque noting the original site of the Brooklyn Dodgers home field. There is a stairwell near the site of the old Polo Grounds where where fans heading to watch the NY Giants walked up. The stairwell is a historically designated site and if my memory serves me right, financial support came from Major League Baseball. Historically designating a site is one way to keep a connection to the past. And NYC, unlike any other place, has a special connection to the Modern American Comic Book.

Respectfully,

John