• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick Cardy

6 posts in this topic

Or the Best artist I never collected.

Today was a long day. The Eagles played, and won. Tables at work were sparse, so when I came home to rest a bit and unwind while jumping around the internet I found some devastating news on Facebook. From there I went to Google and read on Bleeding Cool, that the great Nick Cardy, became the late Nick Cardy. He passed away at the amazing age of 93, may we all be so lucky. You can read what some others have said here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/03/nick-cardy-legendary-comic-artist-passes-away-at-93/

and here:

http://www.comicmix.com/news/obituaries/2013/11/03/nick-cardy-1920-2013/

At a time when I wanted to collect silver age that wasn't Marvel, I marveled at his Aquaman covers. And yet I passed on getting them. I always thought I would get one and have him sign it as a memento to all the artists I have met throughout the years, but decided against it. Not just for his signature but for others too. Yes, I did like meeting a lot of the artists at the conventions I go to, but a lot of the greats don't hold a candle up to those I grew up with.

The thing is though a lot of the greats I grew up with wouldn't be great without Nick Cardy. When Jack Kirby passed away there was no feed about it that I could find. I just had to pick up the right magazine or listen to the right conversation at the right time. Today though I found out through the internet, much like many of you will find out through here. I don't have any of his books to read as tribute, but I will silently pray. We lost a giant this Sunday 3-Nov-13; a moment of silence would be nice.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

I was going to show another clue, but the photo below is of the book I was going to purchase as my First Nick Cardy cover. And a side note, I probably first gazed at his work only because I thought his name was Nick Candy at first glance.

14598.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I have said this before and I'll say it again, Nick Cardy's covers are what lead to me mainly focusing on Bronze Age Action Comics covers. I have also come to appreciate his other covers over the years as well. The Aquaman cover you selected is beautiful, I also enjoy his covers from Teen Titans and The Witching Hour.

Thank you for writing this tribute, it was through your writing that I learned of his passing. I too am sad he is gone now but comforted the he lived a long life.

Thank you again, Tnerb.

Brandon

Nick Cardy was a giant!

His covers are some of the finest examples of Comic Book Art.

It is sad that news outlets don't do enough to publicize the passing of the greats nor enough to let us know what they are up to when they are alive.

Nick's spirit lives through his cherished work.

Many of us won't soon forget.

SW3D

R.I.P Nick Cardy, and Thank You for all the great memories. I have been a fan since I saw the cover of JLA #102, with the story "For The

Earth To Live One Of Us Must Die". I also have just about every issue of the Teen Titans that he worked on. Such a great artist that produced an amazing amount of work.

Nice post Tnerb... as much as I decided against collecting Aquaman, his artwork has always had me rethinking that position because I enjoy it so much. I do have a few of his books set aside simply becasuse of that.

A true great one indeed.

Nick Cardy was a giant!

His covers are some of the finest examples of Comic Book Art.

It is sad that news outlets don't do enough to publicize the passing of the greats nor enough to let us know what they are up to when they are alive.

Nick's spirit lives through his cherished work.

Many of us won't soon forget.

SW3D

He really was an unsung hero. He was chosen by Julie Schwartz to provide a "house style" for DC covers in the 70's. And he did an amazing job of it.