• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping question

6 posts in this topic

I'm going to be shipping 60 Golden Age Comics to one individual and I'm kind of stumped as to the best way to do it. I've never shipped more than five books at a time. The books are all bagged in thin and then thick Mylar, with boards. My initial thought is to ship them in five or six different Priority Flat Rate boxes wrapped in bubble wrap and of course, insured. Any other thoughts?

I'm going to be shipping 60 Golden Age Comics to one individual and I'm kind of stumped as to the best way to do it. I've never shipped more than five books at a time. The books are all bagged in thin and then thick Mylar, with boards. My initial thought is to ship them in five or six different Priority Flat Rate boxes wrapped in bubble wrap and of course, insured. Any other thoughts?

I had to do this last year for 27 books. I used my own box and shipped it registered mail via USPS. I had to do this because the items were more the 5,000 in value. It took a little longer to get there, but they got there safe.

where are you shipping to? International? Or just within States?

My take is (if weight is a concern), as a rather fanatic online shopper, I am always looking at ways to save on shipping. Cos that's the part that doesn't add onto the value of the item.

If your buyer is on the same wavelength, maybe you can convince him to ditch the mylars. Have only the first and last on mylars to add strength. hard boards all around, double bag it, put the lot in a box and insulate it with foam pellets around, it will still withstand a substantial rough handling and seepage. Unless it got caught in between a fight between hulk and hydroman, then there is no way you can save that parcel.

Still, point is, I think with those extra measures, it is still gonna weigh less than 58 mylars.

Hope that helps...

It's within the states and I've got a $75.00 shipping budget, which included a couple thousand in insurance though. My local PO only had two sizes of boxes, one of which might work but will only fit ten comics. Since this is a private transaction, I'm not in a super rush, like I would be on ebay, but I don't want to keep the buyer waiting too long.

why don't you have it discussed with your buyer? since he spent so much in cost and insurance and all the time, what is another few hundreds to spend to ensure their safe arrival?

If I have that deep a pocket to buy those books from you, I sure won't mind to spend some more for assurance.

Thought I'd chime in here. A lot of this info is available at USPS.com

I've had a few auctions of lots of about 35 comic book. They fit just about perfect in the Medium Priority flat rate shipping box. Keep in mind that there are two sizes of the Medium- one which is about 3 inches thick and the other which is about 5 1/2" thick (the length and width are something like 11" x 8"). Your Post Office probably has the 3" thick Medium box (which is wider and longer but won't help much with comics since you won't fold them). You won't be able to get all 60 comics in one of these boxes, but two boxes of this size would suffice. The rate is just over $12.

If it was me, and it sounds like this is an expensive order, I'd use my own box- try for a 12" x 12" or 10" x 10" with a depth of at least 8 inches. If one side is more than 12", then you'd pay a premium. The rate depends on the distance you send it to. I'd estimate that you're talking about 15 pounds, and from looking it up, you're talking about $25-$50 for the package.

I would recommend using the Registered mail service on top of the Priority 2 day rate. If you're going to insure the package anyway, your expense would be less (sounds like you're insuring $1K to $3K). You will need to use the special tape (not clear sealing tape)- the kind that seems like a paper wrap which has a sticky surface on the other side when moist- this will prevent tampering; it's available at your local office supply store.

Good luck.