• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 9

Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 9  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Russ Heath Survivor Series Round 9

37 posts in this topic

Here's my problem with calling GI Combat 80 Russ Heath's greatest work...

1. Russ's greatness was at its peak when he drew vehicles (planes, tanks), and while GIC80 has them, they lose some of their detailing between the greytone coloring and the night time subject matter.

2. GIC80 is a striking image, but it is striking due to the coloring and the contrast of the flames and the tracers against the black night sky.

3. Jack Adler inked GIC80, Russ inked his own work in AAMoW94. I always have a preference for artist inking their own line work over handing it off.

AAMoW94 has all those things going for it. Russ's detailed aviation art, great page layout geometry, and Russ's inks on pencils.

but then again I might be a little biased.

As far as the penciler inking themselves, it depends on the artist. McFarlane inks on Liefeld pencils makes for some of the best Liefeld art I've ever seen - said subjectively, of course. And I can't take John Byrne when he inks himself, he needs a Terry Austin to bring out his best.

I hear Scott Williams is half of Jim Lee's style, but that is pure rumour & conjecture as far as I know of.

Anyway, I digress - I voted for MT this round, and to be perfectly blunt, will vote for GIC80 to be put off next round. That AAMoW84 has been the winner for me since I started voting in these.

:)

-slym

As far as the penciler inking themselves, it depends on the artist. McFarlane inks on Liefeld pencils makes for some of the best Liefeld art I've ever seen - said subjectively, of course. And I can't take John Byrne when he inks himself, he needs a Terry Austin to bring out his best.

I hear Scott Williams is half of Jim Lee's style, but that is pure rumour & conjecture as far as I know of.

Anyway, I digress - I voted for MT this round, and to be perfectly blunt, will vote for GIC80 to be put off next round. That AAMoW84 has been the winner for me since I started voting in these.

-slym

Pretty sure AAMOW 84 is Irv Novick. :wink:

3. Jack Adler inked GIC80, Russ inked his own work in AAMoW84. I always have a preference for artist inking their own line work over handing it off.

According to this, Russ inked the cover.

hmmm Grand Comic Book Database says Adler... anyone have a copy they can check? CGC doesnt note Adler as doing work on the cover (just interiors), but Adler inked/colored lots of Heath covers, especially the greytone ones.

Pardons - the last paragraph had nothing to do with the first two.

;)

-slym

on the cover? I know he did interiors.

On the cover, guaranteed. (thumbs u

here's more confusion. Grand Comic Book Database has noted that Russ Heath indicated that he inked the GIC80 cover.

My favourite is Marvel Tales 130, and I've been voting against the war books which share the same, overused camera angle. Really do prefer it.

on the cover? I know he did interiors.

On the cover, guaranteed. (thumbs u

here's more confusion. Grand Comic Book Database has noted that Russ Heath indicated that he inked the GIC80 cover.

Okay, nobody's catching on. Slim mentioned AAMOW 84, not 94. I ran with it and started talking about Novick.

I'll check the Big Five information Guide and see if it clears things up.

Lame. MT 130 is my favorite. The other 2 are to me very similar images.

pg1wz.jpg

My favourite is Marvel Tales 130, and I've been voting against the war books which share the same, overused camera angle. Really do prefer it.

THIS.

The MT 130 is a very different rather unique illustration. The angle, the power of the giant hand the small people made ot feel even smaller, and the feeling of hopelessness.

Awesome cover.

I said lame because it is clearly going to lose this round. :sumo: