• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an odd question - do people ever trade books for art? If so... any tips?

68 posts in this topic

At one time I owned a near-complete collection of Marvel silver age superhero books.

Sold them all years ago and ploughed the money back into original art.

I have most of those books in reprint editions (Marvel Masterworks, etc.), and as I just want reading copies on hand (as opposed to slabbed books), I've never regretted parting with any of those original comic-books.

Original artwork is the only thing I give a damn about (in this hobby). Comics are mass-produced items, so format is no longer a biggie to me. I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care (if that makes sense?).

It makes zero sense, since you asked

Never mind. :facepalm:

I guess you didn't progress much beyond kindergarten? hm

Some recommended reading for you, perhaps?

BCB-amp-BGB.jpg

And since you are making it personal, anus breath,

Allow me to render a retort

spock.jpg

Apparently you can read, bully for you.

Yet your ability to make a salient point without reducing the analogy to something only the rudimentary, troglodyte, mind like yours seems able to employ, i.e. "what I collect rocks, what you collects sucks" obscured your point to the degree that I was not able to determine any sense out of it..

How long have you been capable of locomotion? The self propelled kind, not motorized?

There, that's more personal. So now your umbrage is justified and I'm sure your fragile sense of machismo is near its breaking point.

But, please, carry on with your nonsensical ramblings

Perhaps you'd like to highlight where, exactly, in any of my posts I adopt a "what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks" type of mentality?

Your words, not mine.

Only thing I'm not keen on is the idea of encapsulation.

Hope you're enjoying the book I recommended for you. Sounds like you need it.

A kid at my boarding school has anus breath. It was really bad. He was dating my cousin, so really, worse for her than anyone. She's actually a movie star now. Maybe due to her acting like she did not mind so much.

Well, Bill, was talking about comic books vs OA... that's one thing.. you made it personal 2c

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding and you thought it was a personal attack but knowing Bill I'd almost guarantee you he was talking about the relative merits of comics vs OA and disagreeing with your stance, but not attacking you as a person :foryou:

Anyways, I guess I'd better butt out, its between you two ultimately.

You are correct Bronty, the denigrating way Terry referred to comics vs. his beloved original art was what prompted my response.

I simply said the way he positioned the two made zero sense to me. I saw nothing personal about that. Apparently he wears his heart on his sleeve and was spoiling for a fight with a comic geek. Most people that know me, and have any credibility in the hobby, like yourself and clearly unlike Mr. Doyle would know that comics and original art are both great and each have unique qualities about them that can make them desirable to collect and enjoy

Actually, you made no point (other than a rude one-liner) about comics vs original art in your response to me. This is something you now (conveniently) feel appropriate to elaborate on.

The thread was started by a lister who's considering funding his move into OA by selling-off parts of his comics collection. If you bother to read through the thread properly you might notice that my posts are nothing more than a personal recollection of how I did the same myself (which might be of interest, and use, to the guy who asked the question).

Original artwork and comics go hand-in-hand, and I have never lost my love of both (you jump to the wrong conclusion about me on this one). If I didn't love comics, it would make no sense for me to love original comic-strip artwork would it? Only thing that is no longer of any great importance to me is the format of the end-product. An inexpensive reprint is fine for my needs.

If you had a problem with the content of any of my posts, you should have asked for clarification, instead of resorting to a cheap pot shot that (at face value) read like a rude rebuttal.

My "rude one line" as you refer to it, simply stated that your position made zero sense to ME. I'm sorry Terry I didn't realize that your sentiments should not only be shared by everyone, but the sense of them should be so apparent that we should abandon our own opinions in deference to yours.

I don't see comic books as "a valuable "RELIC" that need to be handled with care. I'm not really a grade collector, so I handle my comics in the manner in which they were designed to be. Read and enjoyed. I've got plenty of reprints too, and also enjoy those. Some of my OA is framed and I enjoy it that way, other pages are in portfolios and I enjoy them that way too.

Your comment below about only giving a damn about OA these days and not regretting divesting yourself of those "relics" you could no longer enjoy smacked to me of a smack across the beak of those who do enjoy their comics and would regret selling them.

Here is it is to refresh you memory:

"I've never regretted parting with any of those original comic-books.

Original artwork is the only thing I give a damn about (in this hobby). Comics are mass-produced items, so format is no longer a biggie to me. I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care"

"Mass produced", joy is still joy, that can be enjoyed by the masses. I like that concept. And I'm not sure, since you collected Silver Age Marvel if you are familiar with the concept of rarity. It does exist by the way in comics believe it or not. Try putting some golden age runs together.

And I did appreciate the book recommendation, I enjoyed it very much, even if it is a mass produced relic

:)

A kid at my boarding school has anus breath. It was really bad. He was dating my cousin, so really, worse for her than anyone. She's actually a movie star now. Maybe due to her acting like she did not mind so much.

:roflmao:

Now you choose to elaborate on what, exactly, you found confusing (or offending) about my post. That’s fine. Had you responded a little more substantially (over your one-liner that left itself open to misinterpretation), we could have discussed such things in a civilised manner and (possibly) began to appreciate and respect each other’s opposing views.

In your one-liner response, you basically rubbished the contributions I’d taken the time and trouble to make to this thread in a highly dismissive fashion. That got my back up.

Not all will agree with everything I choose to say - which is simply an opinion - and I certainly don’t expect everyone to share my views.

Okay, I’ll embolden the contents of your last post and will respond directly to each and every paragraph . . .

My "rude one line" as you refer to it, simply stated that your position made zero sense to ME. I'm sorry Terry I didn't realize that your sentiments should not only be shared by everyone, but the sense of them should be so apparent that we should abandon our own opinions in deference to yours.

First off, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t try to put words into my mouth. Again, had you bothered to seek clarification (in a little more depth over a one-liner that, at face value, struck me as being rude and discourteous), I would have been more than happy to elaborate further for you.

It was certainly not my intent to expect others to share my views (and I see nothing I’ve written to suggest this) . Needless to say, these forums are designed as a communication tool for collectors to exchange thoughts and ideas. My views are simply personal opinions. Nothing more, nothing less, and, really, that should be readily apparent and not need to be emphasized.

I don't see comic books as "a valuable "RELIC" that need to be handled with care. I'm not really a grade collector, so I handle my comics in the manner in which they were designed to be. Read and enjoyed. I've got plenty of reprints too, and also enjoy those. Some of my OA is framed and I enjoy it that way, other pages are in portfolios and I enjoy them that way too.

Good for you. We’re not exactly poles apart on this one, are we? Perhaps my choice of wording, “a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care” could have been more carefully thought out and explained. A lot of the time my posts are quickly made (in between other more demanding tasks in life), and I don’t always have the luxury of sufficient time to scrutinize and edit such spontaneous responses.

With a lot of comic-book collectors, there does seem to be an obsession with graded books and the need to preserve their condition (e.g. encapsulation).

That’s fine for them and I really don’t have a problem in the world with this. Their collecting habits (and approach to the hobby) is entirely a personal choice. However, what works for others, may not necessarily work for me - and I have every right to voice my own views (even if to the contrary) in a public forum.

Your comment below about only giving a damn about OA these days and not regretting divesting yourself of those "relics" you could no longer enjoy smacked to me of a smack across the beak of those who do enjoy their comics and would regret selling them.

Not my intention to smack anyone across the beak. Again, (for the consideration of the originator of this thread, who asked the question) I was putting forward a personal stance of how it works for me.

Here is it is to refresh your memory:

And I never will. I have all the material I want in reprint edition. Format is no longer important to me. I regard any published version, be it original comic-book printing or later reprint, as a vehicle for presenting the writer and artist/s stories. My focus is on the creative works, not the format they appear in.

Original artwork is the only thing I give a damn about (in this hobby). Comics are mass-produced items, so format is no longer a biggie to me. I want something I can read and enjoy, not a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care"

I’m a very passionate original art collector. Within the comics-related hobby, it’s what I care most about.

If the analogy works for you, I’d liken it to being a football fan who’s passionate about the individual team they support (which will naturally be biased).

This is, after all, an Original Artwork forum, so it should come as no surprise to you hear that this is what we come here to enthuse about.

"Mass produced", joy is still joy, that can be enjoyed by the masses. I like that concept. And I'm not sure, since you collected Silver Age Marvel if you are familiar with the concept of rarity. It does exist by the way in comics believe it or not. Try putting some golden age runs together.

I spent the best part of thirty years collecting comics in their original published format so, yes, I am actually familiar with the concept of rarity within the hobby. I’m simply saying that it’s no longer for me. Putting-together runs of comic-books (been there, done that), can be very satisfying – and is part and parcel of what makes a collector tick.

And I did appreciate the book recommendation, I enjoyed it very much, even if it is a mass produced relic.

Glad you liked the book – always happy to be of service!

Similarly, your caustic response (which was no doubt justified, in light of my knee-jerk reaction) made me chuckle. ;)

Maybe I had anus breath as a result of all the American junk food I ate on my recent trip to Florida? (shrug)

Maybe I had anus breath as a result of all the American junk food I ate on my recent trip to Florida? (shrug)

As a fellow Englishman you know full well it's because we don't floss.

Never been a fan of slabs (or ultra high grade comics)

I've also lost most of my interest in keeping my comic collection in the top condition possible

Reading tpbs (or scans nowadays) is far more practical for me. Nothing beats the original comic of course, but the trade off has enough positives.

The only comics I really want for the most part in my collection are those which dont have much $ value and dont need to be kept in perfect shape

As far as all the SA and GA books that I love- I've decided that instead of going for runs of these, for the most part I only want a nice example or two from each series. Keep one or two key issues and that's it. Less to maintain, takes up less space, ...

...and leaves more $ to blow on OA

That's pretty much my story too. I don't have the energy to keep comics bagged and boarded. The comics I do read are usually back issues I pickup to read, not for an investment. Any new comic stories I catch up with through Library TPBs or digital comics.

I read as much as I ever did, but most of my budget is dedicated to original art.

Now you choose to elaborate on what, exactly, you found confusing (or offending) about my post. That’s fine. Had you responded a little more substantially (over your one-liner that left itself open to misinterpretation), we could have discussed such things in a civilised manner and (possibly) began to appreciate and respect each other’s opposing views.

In your one-liner response, you basically rubbished the contributions I’d taken the time and trouble to make to this thread in a highly dismissive fashion. That got my back up.

Not all will agree with everything I choose to say - which is simply an opinion - and I certainly don’t expect everyone to share my views.

Okay, I’ll embolden the contents of your last post and will respond directly to each and every paragraph . . .

First off, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t try to put words into my mouth. Again, had you bothered to seek clarification (in a little more depth over a one-liner that, at face value, struck me as being rude and discourteous), I would have been more than happy to elaborate further for you.

It was certainly not my intent to expect others to share my views (and I see nothing I’ve written to suggest this) . Needless to say, these forums are designed as a communication tool for collectors to exchange thoughts and ideas. My views are simply personal opinions. Nothing more, nothing less, and, really, that should be readily apparent and not need to be emphasized.

Good for you. We’re not exactly poles apart on this one, are we? Perhaps my choice of wording, “a valuable relic that needs to be handled with care” could have been more carefully thought out and explained. A lot of the time my posts are quickly made (in between other more demanding tasks in life), and I don’t always have the luxury of sufficient time to scrutinize and edit such spontaneous responses.

With a lot of comic-book collectors, there does seem to be an obsession with graded books and the need to preserve their condition (e.g. encapsulation).

That’s fine for them and I really don’t have a problem in the world with this. Their collecting habits (and approach to the hobby) is entirely a personal choice. However, what works for others, may not necessarily work for me - and I have every right to voice my own views (even if to the contrary) in a public forum.

Not my intention to smack anyone across the beak. Again, (for the consideration of the originator of this thread, who asked the question) I was putting forward a personal stance of how it works for me.

Here is it is to refresh your memory:

And I never will. I have all the material I want in reprint edition. Format is no longer important to me. I regard any published version, be it original comic-book printing or later reprint, as a vehicle for presenting the writer and artist/s stories. My focus is on the creative works, not the format they appear in.

I’m a very passionate original art collector. Within the comics-related hobby, it’s what I care most about.

If the analogy works for you, I’d liken it to being a football fan who’s passionate about the individual team they support (which will naturally be biased).

This is, after all, an Original Artwork forum, so it should come as no surprise to you hear that this is what we come here to enthuse about.

I spent the best part of thirty years collecting comics in their original published format so, yes, I am actually familiar with the concept of rarity within the hobby. I’m simply saying that it’s no longer for me. Putting-together runs of comic-books (been there, done that), can be very satisfying – and is part and parcel of what makes a collector tick.

And I did appreciate the book recommendation, I enjoyed it very much, even if it is a mass produced relic.

Glad you liked the book – always happy to be of service!

Similarly, your caustic response (which was no doubt justified, in light of my knee-jerk reaction) made me chuckle. ;)

(thumbs u

Excellent, glad to see you in the spirit of lively/humorous debate. One of my other passions.

Well, it seems like Terry is a collector of comic art and a reader of comic books, but not a collector of comic books, hence the disconnect to owning any vintage comics or placing any collector value on them.

Well, it seems like Terry is a collector of comic art and a reader of comic books, but not a collector of comic books, hence the disconnect to owning any vintage comics or placing any collector value on them.

Terry has been a collector of vintage comic-books. Terry spent the best part of thirty years collecting vintage comic-books. Terry no longer collects vintage comic-books. Terry sold his vintage comic-books. Terry respects people who collect vintage comic-books. Terry would not collect vintage OA if Terry did not like vintage comic-books.Terry is now happy to collect reprint comic-books. Terry has already mentioned all this. ;)

Terry has been a collector of vintage comic-books. Terry spent the best part of thirty years collecting vintage comic-books. Terry no longer collects vintage comic-books. Terry sold his vintage comic-books. Terry respects people who collect vintage comic-books. Terry would not collect vintage OA if Terry did not like vintage comic-books.Terry is now happy to collect reprint comic-books. Terry has already mentioned all this. ;)

Terry took 1 paragraph to sum up my 1 sentence summary. :baiting:

Terry took 1 paragraph to sum up my 1 sentence summary. :baiting:

Timely forgot to mention that Terry had put time in the hobby being a collector of Vintage comic-books. Terry felt under-represented in Timely's summary. Terry wanted to remind Timely of this as Terry fully understands and respects the motivation and passion of vintage comic-book collectors. Terry has been there, done that and put in the leg-work! :grin: