• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most expensive book you have ever put a tape-pull on?

79 posts in this topic

Sorry, StudioGhibli! :D

I have only tape-pulled one book, a common enough Uncanny X-Men somewhere in the 150s. What is your worst experience with the dreaded tape?

And as I mentioned in that other thread, ALWAYSALWAYSALWAYS just cut the tape at the flap when re-bagging. If you are throwing the old B&B away, why take the chance?

;)

-slym

(I posted this in the other thread)

I once had my wife (girlfriend at the time) help me bag and board some early SA Daredevils. I didn't ask for the help, she really wanted too for whatever reason, so I said "sure, I'll bag and board and you can tape them down at the back"...

Well for whatever reason she put the tape on, THEN decided to pull out the book to look at it. Worse yet, when it did get stuck, instead of slowly trying to peel it back, she ripped it as fast as she could. Like a band aid... right off!

It wasn't a high end book (one in the 20's) but enough to make me :frustrated:

I remove the tape and stick it to my shirt when rebagging. When I rebag, I use blue painters tape instead of Magic tape. I don't remember the last tape pull I had...

I did it to a NM ASM #100 a few years ago :(

I was getting my Tomb of Dracula #1 ready to send in for grading a couple of months ago, I went to remove it from one of those rigid type bags, it caught on the flap and put a 1/2 inch tear at the top edge :tonofbricks:

I cant remember personally a more expensive book than these, I am sure that there are horror stories out there :eek:

Not a tape pull, but a similar bone-head move:

I was taking a lot of stuff from my car into my house and added a Saga #1 9.8 to the top of that pile. Something shifted or slipped, and the slab fell to the pavement.

The case cracked (of course) and the comic shifted and pulled the cover against the staples (not completely off).

I can honestly say I'm yet to take pull a book- knock on wood.

However, when I worked for my LCS I insisted he buy the re-sealable bags. I like them, but they really only work if you are using a backing board because they can be hard to open. He put a high dollar book (I believe it was a Hulk 181 or something) into a bag without a backing board. He had the worst time trying to open it and got really pissed and damaged the book. Then he sat some other book on the back of the bag where the tape is. Thus he ended up getting it stuck. It was just an awful experience for him and he came in cursing me.

He still orders the bags for me, but I don't believe he will ever touch them again.

I remove the tape and stick it to my shirt when rebagging. When I rebag, I use blue painters tape instead of Magic tape. I don't remember the last tape pull I had...

Doesn't it take forever to cut the painters tape?

Thankfully I've never done this and I always completely remove the tape from the bag before I pull a book out. I usually stick the tape to the side edge of the bag.

I've seen many people, including friends, handle books where they don't pull the tape off and they usually look at my strange when I suggest they should as if they "know how to handle a comic and aren't worried about it".

Yeah, go ahead, tape-pull your books, not mine. :baiting:

I also may or may have not been super excited to get a book at a LCS once, went out to the parking lot, sat in my car and opened it so I could see the back cover/page quality and tape pulled the thing.

Felt like the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the world that day.

Luckily, I've never had that happen to a really expensive comic. The most expensive one was a Fear #10.

What I did on that was carefully trim the tape so that the stuck portion remained on the comic rather than tear it off completely. I'd rather have the tape remain on the comic with the part that was pulled off than rip it off completely and possibly causing more damage.

Tape is the invention of the Devil. Beware.